Struggling to see

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with type 1 last week and since I started taking my insulin my eyesight is getting worse and worse.

I'm 23 and I've worn glasses since I was 7, but I never needed to wear them all the time as I could see well. Now though, I cannot read without them and everything is blurred,, even with my glasses on I am struggling and everything is blurry, plus I have a headache to go with it.

I feel like it's getting worse everyday and it's really unsettling.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help it?

Thanks,
Anna xo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is entirely normal.

The fluid in your eyes is directly effected by blood sugar. Pre diagnosis your eyes will have got used to high blood sugar levels. Now you are treating your diabetes and getting blood sugar down to normal your eyes just aren't used to the normal blood sugar levels. It will just take a little while for you eyes to get accustomed to normal blood sugar levels, but they will and they will go back to normal.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Anna!
Yes, totally normal. It's caused by your blood glucose adjusting and different eye pressures. It can affect long and short sighted people and, once your BG is under more control, will settle down. I had a few days of perfect vision, a few days of being long sighted and then I'm back to my normal short sighted self. Some days I was worse than I am normally but as long as you are controlled sugar wise it goes back to normal eventually.
If you do a search of this forum, there are a few threads of newly diagnosed T1's (me included) asking the same.
It's quite common but worrying at the same time. Lots of people gave reassurance which turned out to be totally correct.
Hope everything settles down for you soon (which I'm sure it will). Kat

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for your replies!

It's horrible, they're getting worse and worse. Could this be a sign that my insulin doses are wrong?

Xo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It's horrible, they're getting worse and worse. Could this be a sign that my insulin doses are wrong?

Xo

I agree with the others it's just your body responding to your decreasing (from the point of diagnosis) blood sugars. I wouldn't assume it suggests your insulin doses are incorrect.

Whatever you do, don't rush out to have new glasses as they could well end up being useless in a very short time. Do let things settle for a while.

If you are a driver then you will have to consider the wisdom of driving when your vision is impaired, for your own and the safety of others.

Hopefully this won't be irksome for too long.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @annapanna93
I know this will be hard but............... try and relax and give yourself a few weeks for things to settle down
understandably you will be freakin' a bit but over the next 4-6 weeks your eyes will return to your "normal".

do keep posting and it is great to have you on our "team "

all the best
himtoo
x

Reactions: annapanna93

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

Xo
I would try and keep in constant ( everyday if needed ) communication with your D care team -- they get paid to look after you -- so use them as much as you need .

Reactions: annapanna93

annapanna93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would try and keep in constant ( everyday if needed ) communication with your D care team -- they get paid to look after you -- so use them as much as you need .
Thank you for your help!

This is the problem though, I'm not at home at the minute, I'm in Brazil and was diagnosed here so I don't have access to everything I would at home.

Luckily though I do have this forum, it'd been a life saver!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Agree with everyone on their advice. Give it time ... a common issue :)