Stubborn insulin resistance and building muscle

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
So guys i lost 25 kgs and changed my diet and started taking metformin it was all good and my insulin dropped significantly. But when i stopped taking medication and stopped walking everyday, insulin became higher than when i was 25 kg heavier.
This is when i want to start body building. More muscle = more energy to use i think so i want to be as bulky as a professional body builder(also cardio ofc). What are your advices and has anybody tried this and became successfull before. Im 19 years old

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At your age you should thing twice about putting so much strain on your joints and bones - although not as young as some, you can still do serious harm to yourself whilst grinning idiots encourage you to arange to cripple yourself in a couple of decades.
Try going back to walking, maybe ramp it up to running, or cycle perhaps - use the muscles you have got already and don't do anything which could easily result in you being unable to do much at all my the time you are middle aged.

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I
At your age you should thing twice about putting so much strain on your joints and bones - although not as young as some, you can still do serious harm to yourself whilst grinning idiots encourage you to arange to cripple yourself in a couple of decades.
Try going back to walking, maybe ramp it up to running, or cycle perhaps - use the muscles you have got already and don't do anything which could easily result in you being unable to do much at all my the time you are middle aged.
I dont have enough muscles to use. I never was genetically gifted like many others. My arms, shoulders and back has literally zero muscle mass. So i have to workout i feel like, this is why it has worsened i think

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Swim, swim, swim and build yourself slowly and steadily. You can do it, you were born to be awesome.
Lean is good.
Seriously swimming will support your frame whilst you build it up. Eat to build your muscles and strengthen your frame. This will take time and dedication. Walking is great too. Then cycle. Climbing is fantastic.
Basically do it all, love what you do and sport becomes fun and not a chore.

Let us know how it goes.

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Swim, swim, swim and build yourself slowly and steadily. You can do it, you were born to be awesome.
Lean is good.
Seriously swimming will support your frame whilst you build it up. Eat to build your muscles and strengthen your frame. This will take time and dedication. Walking is great too. Then cycle. Climbing is fantastic.
Basically do it all, love what you do and sport becomes fun and not a chore.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks but what i want to say is i used to play basketball for 10 years since my childhood at a club. I play every type of sport and im very active normally. People underestimate the ****** genetics... i am 10 times healthier than my friends yet its not enough.
Welp i am an engineer student who plans to focus on bioinformatics. Maybe ill find a cure or something :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, walking and weight training both reduce insulin resistance. So do a lot of other activities.
Generally speaking, the things that do so are:
Reducing carb intake
exercise
intermittent fasting (I wouldn't advise this if you are still growing, and men often continue to bulk out into their 20s)
drugs such as Metformin.

So you can choose which of them you want to do and then be persistent with it.

Can I ask why you were given Metformin, and why you were taken off it (since you don't have diabetes)?

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Well, walking and weight training both reduce insulin resistance. So do a lot of other activities.
Generally speaking, the things that do so are:
Reducing carb intake
exercise
intermittent fasting (I wouldn't advise this if you are still growing, and men often continue to bulk out into their 20s)
drugs such as Metformin.

So you can choose which of them you want to do and then be persistent with it.

Can I ask why you were given Metformin, and why you were taken off it (since you don't have diabetes)?
I was very obese and had insulin resistance, so my doctor gave it to me so that i can lose weight easier and return to normal without putting too much pressure on my insulin levels. He said there was no long term effect of the drug and when i return to normal i could drop it. I have 20 kgs left till normal im still 29.5 bmi and he said start the medication again. HbA1C was 5

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
To increase insulin sensitivity across the whole of your body you really want to hit the gym about 3 times per week and do a total body workout for about 6 months. This will improve insulin sensitivity to all the muscles exercised. It will also have the added benefit of burning more fat and increasing muscle size significantly. you can google the exercises needed for this type of workout assuming you know what your doing or alternatively speak to a personal trainer. After 6 months you may want to then go to split exercises for 4 or 5 days per week. The advantage is that your metabolism will be greatly elevated for upto 2 days after a total body workout due to the number of muscles targeted. By comparison split exercises elevate the metabolism for around 8 hours. Of course on your down days (not doing weights) you can go for a walk or a swim. Ensure perfect form to avoid injury long term.

this advice is to make you healthier and insulin sensitive not to make you Arnold Schartzwhatever :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very obese and had insulin resistance, so my doctor gave it to me so that i can lose weight easier and return to normal without putting too much pressure on my insulin levels. He said there was no long term effect of the drug and when i return to normal i could drop it. I have 20 kgs left till normal im still 29.5 bmi and he said start the medication again. HbA1C was 5

I think it is a good idea for you to weigth lift, but of cause weight that is fit for your muscle size... the good thing about resistance training is that the muscles do use much more energy in up till 4 hours after one has used ones muscles , this is not the same in endurance training... but it takes a long time to build ones muscles up, but I think you´ll be happy for the results along the way , but be patient... I do it my self to get more insuline resistance.. both arms stomach and my back, and the best way after the first 4 weeks where you just lift what you feel is the right amount of weight for 3 x 12 repeats of the lift... it is better to lift like 12 repeat than 20 as it is when the muscle hurts a bit and a little damage is done in the muscle that ones muscle are provokes to build up, but of cause there must be reason in the excercise , one is not supposed to not to be able to do anything for days after excercising... I´ll wish you good luck, but also say that it will be a very good idea to search for knowledge of the best way to build longlasting stronger muscles in a person with a little muscle mass.... other than hormons of cause...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you have diabetes Fatentomms? If you do, it could be helpful to adjust your profile to reflect it. That could help people responding to you.

You don't have to declare any diabetes type, but it does just help others understand what you're contending with.

fatentomms

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Do you have diabetes Fatentomms? If you do, it could be helpful to adjust your profile to reflect it. That could help people responding to you.

You don't have to declare any diabetes type, but it does just help others understand what you're contending with.
No i only have insulin resistance myFasting blood sugar is 84. And HBA1C is 5.03. Isnt diabetes when body cant produce enough insulin to control your blood sugar?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No i only have insulin resistance myFasting blood sugar is 84. And HBA1C is 5.03. Isnt diabetes when body cant produce enough insulin to control your blood sugar?

Thanks for clarifying.

Many people find their insulin resistance improves, sometimes dramatically, as they lose weight. Hopefully that might happen for you.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: fatentomms