Stupid McDonalds

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's terrible, but yes I went into McDonalds with my husband and two brats.
I ordered the food and a diet coke for myself. The man took my order and I paid.
Whilst waiting for the food I heard someone in the queue next to me being told that there was no diet coke as the machine was broken. I spoke the person serving me and told him that it was really important that I only got diet coke as I have diabetes.
He looked at me like dirt and told me the machine wasn't broken that it had just run out and was being changed.
I took my drink and tested it.
Now you know what happened next don't you?
I went to complain not because I wanted anything but because the person who served me was so rude.
The manager was nice and very apologetic but I feel that I really wanted to moan to the person who gave me the drink as he was so dismissive.
I don't expect non diabetics to understand but I tried to explain and still got given a sugary drink.

Reactions: 17 people

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
I notice this sometimes, have kinda realised you have to make it very clear that you want a sugar-free drink otherwise they just don't realise. I find that if I'm having a drink at a bar on the occasion, if they don't realise the importance they might not think twice..

How did you realise it was full-sugar coke? Did you rise or did you taste test?

Reactions: 4 people

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stuck the test strip into the coke before I drank any.
I didn't trust him lol.

Reactions: 15 people

Maxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hoovering
I stuck the test strip into the coke before I drank any.
I didn't trust him lol.
That's clever! Would have never thought've doing it that way. :D Bet you're glad you went with your gut feeling

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So annoying, don't trust those drink dispensers (or more precise the people using them), if its not in a bottle, can or cartoon and clearly marked 'diet' then I don't bother.

Reactions: 10 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You complain about a Mcdonalds member of staff being rude but begin your post by telling us you went with your husband and 2 brats ! Let he who is without sin etc...
Yes, I don't trust those drinks dispensers either. Well done for checking.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wary of those single hose multi drink dispensers with the control button at the tap that are often seen in bars..
Imagine punters ordering normal Coke all night, then a "diet cokeist" steps up to the bar..? The D Coke button may have been pressed, but it must push the fat stuff still trapped in the hose first. Straight into the glass...

You can think of it like running a shower.? You may like it hot. But there is still a duration of waiting while the pressure pushes out any cold water from the system..

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
You have no idea how much I can relate to your post and to how you feel.
It has happened to me so many times...

I go to a cafe/Starbucks/Costa for a cup of coffee and I specifically ask "no milk because I am diabetic. Instead single cream please."
Quess what happens? Milk in my coffee and my blood sugar shooting up to a 15.

Similarly, when in restaurants I ask for no balsamic vinegar on my salad (explaining that I am diabetic) and quess what dressing I get on my salad...
Likewise, when I ask for dressings on separate containers on the side, they are drizzled all over my plate.

People do not seem to understand what being a diabetic actually means... It feels to me as if they are lost in translation.
So, to save myself from having to explain every single time to any given stranger serving my table about my condition, I started telling them "I am allergic!".

"Dressing seperately on the side please because I am allergic (to yeast/milk/corn/sugar/gluten - you name it, what ever suits the occasion) and I dont want to have an allergic reaction in your restaurant and you having to call the paramedics for me."

Now, for some reason, THAT they understand!!
And not only do they understand it but, they give me a compasionate look and a re-assuring smile telling me that they will make an extra note to the chef/barista.

Because they know that an allergic reaction in their shop can easily mean a lawsuit and a brandname humiliation.
There is no need trying to reason with them.
No need to have to accept their degrading looks as if diabetes is the plague.
No need to have to educate them, they don't care.
Just scare them with something they can comprehent, that'll do. (and in my view, that's what they deserve as well.)

Regards and compassionate hugs
Josephine

Reactions: 12 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Nothing wrong with an occasional McDonalds.
About a year ago my wife and I called into the drive thru for a fast hit of food on route to destination.
I ordered a sausage and egg mcmuffin meal and then asked for an egg mcmuffin meal and stressed no meat with this one. The girl asked was it just a regular one with no meat. I replied, yes no meat.
We parked the car and opened the bag. My mcmuffin wrapper had a sticker on it stating something like “special order” so I thought that was good to ensure my order was correct. Opened the wrapper to reveal the same meat version as my wife’s.
I went back in and explained. The girl was apologetic and really nice. She fetched me another one, without meat, quite quickly.
Got back to the car and my wife had finished up, mouth wiped and ready to get moving.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ah yes, the coffee thing gets me too.

I have to watch them like a hawk.
In costa, the decaff is in little silverfoil bags that they open with scissors.
If you don't see them waving the silver bag around, you ain't got decaff.
- this is VERY important to me, because I am highly sensitive to caffiene.

The milk can be an issue too.
I always ask for cream, but then I watch them for that too.
A couple of times I haven't and milk always spikes me.

Thankfully, I never drink artificial sweeteners, or sugar, so I skip the fizzy pop traumas.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't often drink Diet Coke or similar, but when I do I always get it in a bottle or can so I know for sure.

For coffees out, I just bolus for the milk if I think it's got more than a small amount in. The thing I find hard are those frappes that can vary a lot in carbs. Some seem to have syrup in. Experience has taught me to bolus for those too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't often drink Diet Coke or similar, but when I do I always get it in a bottle or can so I know for sure.

For coffees out, I just bolus for the milk if I think it's got more than a small amount in. The thing I find hard are those frappes that can vary a lot in carbs. Some seem to have syrup in. Experience has taught me to bolus for those too.

Lol. I take the tiniest dash of milk. (Almost black.) But I always have to check what coffee I order. "Is that a filter coffee?" Some on the menu are just a carb fest caffeinated "bed time" drink... A contradiction itself for a non D let alone anyone else.. It's even worse when abroad.. :)

They can have silly names.....

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm wary of those single hose multi drink dispensers with the control button at the tap that are often seen in bars..
Imagine punters ordering normal Coke all night, then a "diet cokeist" steps up to the bar..? The D Coke button may have been pressed, but it must push the fat stuff still trapped in the hose first. Straight into the glass...

May be wrong @Jaylee but I'm sure they have separate lines for each drink.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May be wrong @Jaylee but I'm sure they have separate lines for each drink.

I hope I'm actually wrong...
It's all about adding the right flavouring concentrate to the carbonated water at the end of the day.. Lol
A long time ago I briefly worked in a newly developed bingo hall. The guy on the bar explained to me how the stuff is mixed..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Jaylee that's right, if the syrup bags are attached to the wrong line then you might get a full sugar drink.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Catlady19 first I dipped the strip directly into the coke and it would not read.
After that I dipped my finger and dripped it on as you would with blood.
It worked and read 26.2!!
Glad I didn't drink it lol

Reactions: aizek