Substitute for bread

cocobee.2017

In NZ here I love vogels bread as white bread is not my friend. I will have 1 or 2 slices at the most. I always have it w a protein & heaps of salad so my BS doesn't spike. There are just some days I gotta have a sandwich but it is not everyday & if I have it for breakfast my favorite is with avocado as a spread, poached or soft boiled egg on top & tons of black pepper!

da_carter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Crackers probably best avoided to be honest as they are still relatively high carb.
You could use lettuce leaves or even use the contents of the sandwich.. like 2 slices of cheese with ham in between or 2 slices of ham with cheese in the middle. Bread is usually only the carrying medium for something more tasty so just eat the filling without the stodge. You could even butter your cheese if you want to add a bit of extra fat.. or is that a bit weird even for me.. nope I've done it.
On the subject of crackers, I've made the Flax Seed crackers from Tom Kerridge's Dopamine Diet recipe book and they work really well with cheese or pâté or whatever you want. There are also some good recipes around for almond or coconut bread which work quite well. But if making your own is not really an option then the Lidl protein rolls are excellent. Try slicing them in 2 halfs lengthways and lightly toasting before adding loads of butter and/or scrambled egg and smoked salmon for a great breakfast treat.