Sudden increase in insulin sensitivity?!

Gwenmai

Hi all I'm a T1 using novo rapid and Tresiba. I've also had quite erratic blood levels and I am currently waiting to start pump therapy.

Latley my insulin sensitivity seems to have shot through the roof. I thought it was my Tresiba but I've rreduced that alto already.

I'm having to take on way more carbs than I usually would and finding I'm eating snacks because I'm scared of going low.

Yesterday I ate a pack of sweets totally 138g of carbs with no insulin and only an increase of 2mmol 5 hours later, and another hour I was down to 3.8

I was just wondering if any one knew of any causes for increased insulin sensitivity. I've been diabetic for 16 years and never experienced this before. It just seems very random and weird.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Weight loss and an increase in physical activity can make you more sensitive to insulin Gwenmai, by reading what you've wrote I would say your basal insulin is way to high as you seem to eating a considerable amount of carbs to keep your bg stable, there's no chance that they've given you Trisba in the U200 strength is there? It comes in two strenghts of U100 and U200 but the U200 is normally only given to people such as type 2's who have severe insulin resistance, clutching at straws but worth checking all the same!

Gwenmai

Hi thanks for your reply! I panicked then but check it is the Tresiba 100. I have lost about half a stone but this seems to of happened along side the erratic sugars not before.
And sad to say I'm not being any more active than I was before. I've already lowered by Tresiba from 36u to 22u. Scared to go any lower case my levels shoot up.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Gwenmai said:
Hi thanks for your reply! I panicked then but check it is the Tresiba 100. I have lost about half a stone but this seems to of happened along side the erratic sugars not before.
And sad to say I'm not being any more active than I was before. I've already lowered by Tresiba from 36u to 22u. Scared to go any lower case my levels shoot up.

If your sure your insulin to carb ratio's are right then I'd just keep on lowering your basal insulin, changing insulin's can often solve a lot of problems and it may just mean that yo need a lot less of the Tresiba insulin than you did for your previous basal insulin, if in doubt check with your DSN.

Hopefully the pump will be the answer to your prayers!

jcdevine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I know this is an old post, but I am suddenly having the same problem. I am hardly needing any Humalog at all, have lowered my Tresiba, and am struggling to keep my sugars up in the early hours. I haven't lost weight or changed anything. I have been eating fairly low carb for a few weeks now, but having to eat carbs again to get my levels up. I'd be interested to know if you got to the bottom of the problem Gwenmai.