Suffering from depression.

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to Vitamin D/ I have had several episodes of deep depression. Seven years ago I fractured an ankle getting out of bed and a bone density test showed borderline osteoporosis so I now have Vit. D prescribed. Coincidentally or not, I have not had a depressive episode since then. All best wishes.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Might not be linked but a few years ago I was asked to start taking statins, these caused me a few side effects one of which was severe depression.

I'd not linked it at first as it creeps up on you, but after 6 or so months being treated for depression and paying myself for counselling I decided to look up the side effects of statins, one of which is an increased chance of depression. I stopped the statins and within a week I was back to normal.

Reactions: Prem51

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depression sucks. I have been dealing with depression, anxiety and bipolar (which I feel ashamed of) for 35+ years. I have struggled for years not being able to pull myself out of it. I fight it, but sometimes I feel like giving up. Somethings that do help me are exercise, especially when I want to isolate and give up, forcing myself to do something and not isolating.

Kip99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone else here battling depression? This past year has been hellish. I can barely cope. All it takes is someone to say something bad to me, joking or not and I can lose sleep and analyse it for weeks. People that in the past I would be able to shrug off have infiltrated my psyche and I hate myself for it. I lock myself away these days.
I have been prescribed Trazodone at night to help me sleep and also help with anxiety and it is helping a bit, but it doesn't stop me beating myself up for feeling this way. My friends don't understand why I just can't 'get over it' and I don't understand either. I think about stupid things I did years ago and cry - I just don't understand what is going on with me or how it will ever end. Outside, and at work I put on a smile but in reality it is taking all my strength not to just crumble to the ground.

Anyone else feel this way? Or am I just crazy?
Hi - really sympathise with you and can totally relate to everything you say. Please try to keep positive (crass thing to say I know). I've been on Sertraline (type 1 for 53 years on an insulin pump) increase in dosage 12 months ago. Over the last few months however my glucose control is all over the place - almost daily severe hypos, m but from I've read, it's simply another SSRI and can equally impact on glucose control. What about an SNRI - does anyone know if these are better with fewer side affects?

winglets

I'm on Mirtazapine (15mg) but recently increased dosage to 30mg. I'm still doubting its effectiveness especially after I now hear that it can cause havoc on your blood sugar levels. Anyone else know about this??