1. Hi there, Guest. Welcome to the forum!
    Need some guidance? Check out our Forum Video Guides

Sugar-free Sloe Gin?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by brill, Sep 6, 2012.

1. brill

brill Member

I went foraging at the weekend and came back with 3 pounds of sloes to make sloe gin. I tried some last Christmas and was very taken with it, so thought I'd give it a go.
    All the recipes I've seen are very high in sugar (as much as 1:1 sugar to sloes) so I though I would experiment with some of the sloes using sugar-substitute instead.

Has anyone tried it? Does the sugar in the normal recipe contribute other than sweetness - eg extra fermentation? Which sweetener would you use?

Thanks for any advice!

Brill
  2. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet Well-Known Member

Yes we make Sloe Gin every year using Splenda and you cant tell the difference from the sugary gin, tried it with Stevia last year YUK.
    Remember though that the sweetener substitutes sugar by volume and not weight. Sugar is heavier than Splenda, you need to find out the volume the amount of sugar you would normally use and then use this volume measure for the Splenda.
  3. brill

brill Member

Brilliant - thanks! I've got some Splenda. Do you remember what proportion of Splenda to sloes you normally use?
    Brill
  4. WhitbyJet

Ok this is how we do it and it makes a really nice sloe gin, much better than shop bought, first we freeze the sloes over night, they burst and we dont have to stab them before we put them into the gin.
    For a 1.5 litre jar, fill it two-thirds with sloes, add 2 tsp of glycerine and 300ml of Splenda, if you want your drink to be sweeter, increase the amount of Splenda.
    Fill the jar to the brim with 40% gin, seal the jar and give it a really good shake. Store in a cool, dark place for 3 months, but dont forget about it, you need to shake it once a week.
    After 3 months, strain the liqueur through a filter, bottle it up and it keeps for about a year after that although in our house it gets finished way before then (guests!!)
  5. brill

brill Member

Thanks again - I'll let you know how it goes. I don't suppose it will last long in our house either....... :)
  6. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Well-Known Member

If you used real sugar to make the sloe gin have you worked out how much of it you would have to drink to give you a problem. I ask because I still have some of last years sloe gin made with sugar in the cupboard.
  7. brill

brill Member

I haven't tested with it, I must admit. Although I suspect the high level of alcohol would slow down the sugar absorbtion considerably, I've had unexpected highs from drinking ouzo in the past, so I would treat with caution!
  8. Paul_c

Paul_c Active Member

is that liquid Splenda or granulated Splenda?
  9. WhitbyJet

Its granulated Splenda, measure it in a jug.