sugar levels after eating

ady brace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have been type 2 for around 3 months,on 2 metformin per day ( 500 mg ) my sugar level is around 9-11.5 an hour after eating then slowly reduces to 7-6.5.Is this normal?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

These are the NICE Guidelines used by the NHS

Non-diabetic before meals 4 to 5.9. 2 hours after eating under 7.8
Type 2's before meals 4 to 7. 2 hours after under 8.5

There are no official guidelines for levels at 1 hour after eating because everyone is likely to spike within an hour after eating a "normal" meal. Non-diabetics come down again quickly. Type 2's may struggle.

Those guidelines are quite old and a tad higher than current thinking. On the whole, it is better to stay under 7.8.

Your after meal readings will, of course, depend on what you were before you ate. You need to test before and at 2 hours, then look at the rise. Try to keep that rise under 2mmol/l if you can.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, that's normal for a type 2 eating carbs. Not normal for a non-diabetic. How much carbs are you eating? Really you want your blood sugar to not go above 7.8 an hour after you eat. Try reducing the amount of carbs until that happens. Also, check out the low carb threads on the forum. Eating government recommended amount of carbs will slowly kill a type 2.

ady brace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for the advice,just retested and still around the 11.5 mark,struggling to understand the 'SPIKES' went as low as 2 last week that is why the doctor has told me to hold fire on taking three tablets a day

ady brace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, that's normal for a type 2 eating carbs. Not normal for a non-diabetic. How much carbs are you eating? Really you want your blood sugar to not go above 7.8 an hour after you eat. Try reducing the amount of carbs until that happens. Also, check out the low carb threads on the forum. Eating government recommended amount of carbs will slowly kill a type 2.
this is where i am confused,different doctors are giving different advice.Some are saying carbs at every meal so to still ensure i get 'natural sugars' ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for the advice,just retested and still around the 11.5 mark,struggling to understand the 'SPIKES' went as low as 2 last week that is why the doctor has told me to hold fire on taking three tablets a day

What did you have for your meal?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
this is where i am confused,different doctors are giving different advice.Some are saying carbs at every meal so to still ensure i get 'natural sugars' ?

Natural sugars are still sugars and will raise your blood glucose levels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 wholemeal pittas,with thin chicken slices and a small amount of branston

My levels would have been as high as yours after 2 pittas of whatever colour, and the Branston will not have helped. (Try real mayonnaise instead). It really is not a good idea to eat too much bread. By testing out my own meals, I discovered I can cope with one slice of bread with a meal, but not 2 slices. Please try testing before and after, then prepare for a surprise. You may find you can cope with a smaller portion of the carb element, or may find you need to cut it out altogether until your levels have improved, then you can try it again.

ady brace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My levels would have been as high as yours after 2 pittas of whatever colour, and the Branston will not have helped. (Try real mayonnaise instead). It really is not a good idea to eat too much bread. By testing out my own meals, I discovered I can cope with one slice of bread with a meal, but not 2 slices. Please try testing before and after, then prepare for a surprise. You may find you can cope with a smaller portion of the carb element, or may find you need to cut it out altogether until your levels have improved, then you can try it again.
thanks for your advice,struggling with exactly what to eat,even though i have cut out food with added sugar and still a have drink

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Drinks can be difficult. Water is the best option, either tap water (straight from the fridge is better) or sparkling mineral water, maybe with a bit of lemon or lemon juice added. Tea and coffee without sugar and either a dash of milk or as much cream as you wish. Red wine in moderation. If you browse round you may find very low carb drinks, but do read the labels and look for "total carbs rather than "of which sugars". Fruit juices are generally a no-no. I'm not the best person to advise because I've rarely drunk anything other than water, tea or coffee, and orange juice (which I had to give up). Oh and red wine!

You can eat fresh meat, bacon, fish, eggs, green veggies, tomatoes, mushrooms, salads, cheese, plain yogurts, some fruits (berries are good). The list is endless. You can eat anything your meter tells you is OK.

ady brace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Drinks can be difficult. Water is the best option, either tap water (straight from the fridge is better) or sparkling mineral water, maybe with a bit of lemon or lemon juice added. Tea and coffee without sugar and either a dash of milk or as much cream as you wish. Red wine in moderation. If you browse round you may find very low carb drinks, but do read the labels and look for "total carbs rather than "of which sugars". Fruit juices are generally a no-no. I'm not the best person to advise because I've rarely drunk anything other than water, tea or coffee, and orange juice (which I had to give up). Oh and red wine!

You can eat fresh meat, bacon, fish, eggs, green veggies, tomatoes, mushrooms, salads, cheese, plain yogurts, some fruits (berries are good). The list is endless. You can eat anything your meter tells you is OK.
To be honest the reason for my type 2 is weight and my love for cider,thanks on the food advice,its just getting used to what your body tells you
is ok or not.Food advice is so conflicting!

tneecie51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also have trouble with my readings after i eat. Mine sometimes went as high as 235. I know why cause i had potatoes, which is a big no no. My doctor tells me what not to eat,but doesn't tell me my numbers i should be at. This is so confusing. Good luck with yours. We can do this. I to have to lose weight.

Snapstinget

To be honest the reason for my type 2 is weight and my love for cider,thanks on the food advice,its just getting used to what your body tells you
is ok or not.Food advice is so conflicting!
Cider contains a lot of sugar :-( So does Branston (and almost any other kind of pickle). Well, that's the bad news. But it seems to me you are doing quite well. It may take you a while to figure out how your body responds to various food items, and the good news is that in a few months you will have a better idea and may be able to enjoy a glass of cider or a bit of Branston without causing unacceptable spikes (i.e. spikes that are unacceptable to you; your own targets will probably change as you find out how well you are responding to cutting out the pitta bread etc!). Eating to your test results can seem a bit daunting at first but it is well worth it. And if you combine that with some exercise you'll see dramatic results where your blood sugar is concerned.
It's important not to try to change your dietary habits too drastically or to throw yourself into an exercise programme that is unrealistic. Just remember that you have almost certainly had type 2 diabetes for a lot longer than three months, so don't feel disappointed if your blood sugar levels don't improive instantly, and just stick to adjustments that you feel comfy with. The improvements will come.