Sugary drinks and bolusing

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
So I asked about bolusing for wine, but what to do about sugary adult drinks.

I'll be going to a resort soon, and was thinking about indulging in a pina colada or strawberry daiquiri, even something simple such as a vodka and cranberry juice. How much should I bolus for this?

I know the obvious answer is to stick with non sugary drinks, but does anyone have other advice?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
if you have a smart phone and can go on the net while on holiday - you can google by searching
as follows -- pina colada nutrition
i did this just now and learned a pina colada has 24 carbs

i would take the information received with a bit of hesitance as all drinks won't be made exactly the same everywhere.
but it will give you an idea

vodka and cranberry is easy -- 12 carbs per 100ml of juice , vodka 0 carbs

have a lovely holiday !! :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn't even begin to guess as1) it's liquid sugar and HFCS most likely and 2) it's alcohol.

For me it wouldn't be worth the anxiety and continuously testing. I'd rather have a chocolate covered strawberry and get close. Though I do love pins coladas but my stomach doesn't handle all that sugar either.

Just things to ponder

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I drink cocktails I don't tend to bolus for them personally as the alcohol in them brings me down from the small spike they do give me, if you've not drank one before I'd test and see how you go without bolusing, I know it's a pain but testing every hour for a few hours after will give you a good idea :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Thanks everyone! I have emailed the diabetes nurse to see her opinion as well. I realized that it would probably have to be with a meal, as I don't want to keep my insulin pen on me at all times. So that would probably be too much carbs in one sitting. Too much meaning, I don't really want to consume that many all at once. I'd probably rather save it for meals ☺️

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to keep my insulin pen on me at all times.

Why? You might find it will be more of a pain in the neck to not have your diabetic kit with you all the time. Sounds like you will be doing sitting by the pool at a nice hotel - stick your diabetic kit in your bag with your sun cream & your book. That way if the heat makes you feel low, you can test, if you want to go for a swim, you can test, if you want an ice cream, you can inject (god I need a holiday!) instead of traipsing back to your room to do it.

I would probably bolus for a sugary cocktail. But be aware of the delayed low impact of alcohol - your liver can only do one thing at a time, so if it is processing alcohol, it won't be putting out glucose overnight, so you might go low overnight if you don't have something carby before bed.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
@catapillar

Yes I totally agree with all those things. But it will be super hot out (around 30 degrees) and don't want to keep my insulin in that temp. I did buy a frio insulated pack for the plane there and back, but it was so expensive I don't want to reuse it often for the week we'll be there in fear of ruining it. Although I'm probably being ridiculous.

So would you suggest I bolus, drink and then eat something carny a couple of hours later? I'm only on bolus insulin because I'm still honeymooning. So maybe I won't need the carb if it's hours later?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive never used a frio, but I though they were designed to be reused. If you've spent the money, you might as well get your money's worth by using it :)

That is what I'd do, but I'm not anywhere hot & im not honeymooning. The only way to figure out how it will effect you is to do it & test - an excuse for a pre holiday cocktail practice session?

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
The only way to figure out how it will effect you is to do it & test - an excuse for a pre holiday cocktail practice session?

Haha! Yes, I suppose you're right. I do look forward to practice sessions - had one with Mexican food just a few weeks ago.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @tpaz
the frio works by immersing in cold water for about 3-4 minutes.
it then swells up and the little crystals that have absorbed the water stay cool to keep insulin at a reasonable temp.

it takes about 10 days before this process needs to be repeated.
so you should only need to immerse it 1 time for the whole week.
My Frio has lasted about 8 years so far
( holidays 2-3 times per year )

Reactions: 2 people

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely use the Frio pouch. Like @himtoo says you'll probably only need to top it up once or twice and it's fine to reuse it over and over again.

I replaced my Frio pouch last year, it had lasted me 10 years before the crystals stopped absorbing water (and, hands up, it also smelled a bit odd :eek:) and the replacement was only £13 from Amazon so all together great value for money. I'd used it for weeks at a time all round the world, it's literally been a lifesaver.

Reactions: 2 people