Suitable Ice Lollies

Soleil

Hello.

I've just registered and I wondered if any members would be so kind as to help me with a question please.

My Mum, who is 74, is in hospital at the moment. She has been paralysed for 7 years (the cause has no link to her being diabetic, it happened due to the maladministration of drugs for another illness) and is suffering severe complications (MRSA has entered her pressure sores and now her bones and she has osteomyelitis), leading to her being here.

She is barely eating and I am finding it very difficult to get her to manage anything. She has told me that her mouth is very sore, which is true, as she has oral thrush. She is severely dehydrated, which is making it impossible for the Doctors to add a new drip.

I am at the hospital 24/7 at the moment. In the cafe where I am sitting, they sell ice lollies and I suggested to the nurse earlier that an ice lolly would help Mum. The nurse agreed but said to bear in mind that Mum developed diabetes fairly recently. I don't understand the details of diabetes but I do know that my Mum doesn't inject insulin and that her diabetes happened over the age of 60.

I really would like to buy an ice lolly to help soothe her mouth and hydrate her but I am looking in the fridge and have no idea what is suitable for a diabetic.

Is there anyone who could suggest what I could look for which would not cause her a problem with regard to her diabetes please?

Many thanks.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Welcome to the forum :) - sorry your mum is having such a bad time - in my opinion - and it's just my opinion not saying you should do this but - your mum sounds like she is really suffering and a bit of pleasure and eating anything would be a bonus to her I would keep the diabetes in mind but get her something that she would enjoy too!

I found this website for you - it has a few ice lollies and icecreams on with the nutritional value for them - the value you need to be looking at is total carbs NOT just sugars - all carbs turn to sugar - In your mums case I would stick to something 10g carbs or below per portion.

http://www.carbgenie.com/blog/frozen-ice-cream-desserts

I don't often have ice lollies but I find a Walls mini milk at 5g carb just about right - and they are not too big and easy to eat.

hope I have been some help and hope your mum is feeling better soon

Reactions: Struma

LaughingHyena

I've been experimenting with freezing sugar free squash in ice lolly moulds over the summer.

I found the completely sugar free ones didn't work that well, they were edible but very hard like sucking on an ice cube. I also tried some with tesco high juice no added sugar which worked a bit better. Still not quite the same texture as a "real" ice lolly but not bad. In both cases the squash had to be made up stronger than I would normally drink it otherwise the taste was lost when it was frozen.

My kids love the fromage frais tubes frozen as a treat, though the sugar content varies between brands.

I've seen some recipes for low carb ice cream made from Greek yoghurt and berries, that sounds like it would freeze well in a lolly mould.

hf4

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi
Try your mum with some fresh sweet pineapple. It is excellent for sore mouths, ulcers and for quenching thirst.
Hope it works.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although not an ice cream, would something like a chilled jelly be soothing - and it provides hydration too, plus it doesn't have to be eaten before it melts.
I make in a sugar free jelly with a little less water than normal and then add cream or yoghurt once it has cooled. I whisk it and the bubbles are trapped as it sets in the fridge. It is really smooth and lovely in hot weather. It could be poured into plastic cups to make individual servings.
I aim to have just a little less volume than one pint per sachet after the cream or yoghurt is added as that holds the bubbles better.
I am a totally controlled by diet type 2 and I find that I can eat lots of this with barely a reaction on the meter.

Reactions: Struma

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi
Try your mum with some fresh sweet pineapple. It is excellent for sore mouths, ulcers and for quenching thirst.
Hope it works.

Or melon

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can try a calipo or a rocket as both are just juice frozen and don't have as much sugar in them as the rest do as I eat them and the other ones in a triangle as they are just juice and freeze well but have sugars in them so you will have to watch and the nurse will watch your mum's sugars as well but they should help you a bit and they will on a hot day like this and on the ward which will be boring for both of you

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try also a water melon the yellow on as I have had as I had that when I had mouth thrush

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just to point out that this thread is more than 5 years old and the OP has not been on the forum for 5 years.