Sunday roast

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I know it is summer but I fancy a roast !!

Meat an veg I know is ok and can probably go without potatoes.

I love Yorkshire pudding though. How do people find these ?

Any other go to foods for a roast that are low carb and delicious ?

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Cheers @AM1874
We will agree to disagree . When they soak up the gravy they are delicious

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whizz up some soft (well cooked in the microwave) frozen cauliflower with an egg and a splash of milk, plus a smidgen of mustard. Cook in dripping. Heaven.

Reactions: Looseboy

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Whizz up some soft (well cooked in the microwave) frozen cauliflower with an egg and a splash of milk, plus a smidgen of mustard. Cook in dripping. Heaven.

@Snapsy sounds interesting however no microwave
I assume steaming for a long while will do the trick ?

Reactions: Snapsy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers @AM1874
We will agree to disagree . When they soak up the gravy they are delicious

@AM1874 has obviously never tasted my hubby's delicious home made ones, either with gravy or for afters with butter and sugar.

@Looseboy it isn't just the Yorkies you have to be careful about. Gravy can also be lethal. I have a roast dinner every Sunday. I stick to 2 small roasties, only a dribble of gravy, and avoid Yorkies apart from Christmas Day. I put butter on the veg instead of gravy. I go higher than I do with other meals but nothing drastic. All you can do is try

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy sounds interesting however no microwave
I assume steaming for a long while will do the trick ?
Steaming would be fine - I only microwave it due to a limited number of pans in the house - I would have to wash up while cooking otherwise! Just boil or steam it till it's really soft, let it cool, and whizz with egg, mustard and milk to make a 'batter'.

Cauliflower is KING on the Snapsy menu! I've not met one yet I didn't like....

:)

Reactions: Looseboy

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
If you're looking for crunch.. roast pork and crackling!

@bulkbiker oh yes,now that gets my vote.

I often get my lunch in M&S as a treat and they sell packs of crackling .

I have not done this yet as I am still in the middle of many diets and and still not fully embracing high fat as "high fat" and watching my overall calorie intake.

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
@AM1874 has obviously never tasted my hubby's delicious home made ones, either with gravy or for afters with butter and sugar.

@Looseboy it isn't just the Yorkies you have to be careful about. Gravy can also be lethal. I have a roast dinner every Sunday. I stick to 2 small roasties, only a dribble of gravy, and avoid Yorkies apart from Christmas Day. I put butter on the veg instead of gravy. I go higher than I do with other meals but nothing drastic. All you can do is try

@bluetit1802 the dessert option will not get a look in now, but back in the day I would have given that a good go

Plan is to try and still keep it as an occasional addition.

Surprised about the gravy, I will check the nutritional values and as always eat to the meter

Butter on veg sounds good. Reminds me of how I like corn on the cob

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker oh yes,now that gets my vote.

I often get my lunch in M&S as a treat and they sell packs of crackling .

I have not done this yet as I am still in the middle of many diets and and still not fully embracing high fat as "high fat" and watching my overall calorie intake.
Pork scratchings are my go to snack.. its the high fat wot keeps us feeling full...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blended mushrooms with broth makes a great gravy without the starches to thicken it. Gravy kills me.

I just sauté mushrooms and sometimes onion p, throw it in a blender and add broth to desired consistency. I also throw in sage and oregano, salt and pepper as well as garlic. Seasonings could be anything you want

Avocado is my go to anytime

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

For homemade gravy,have you tried meat juices and water simmered on the hob in the roasting tin,sieved into a saucepan and then whisking a very tiny amount of Xantham gum into it? It's trial and error but if you experiment with the teeniest amount of it you can produce some tasty and thickened low carb gravy. :)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Personally, I'd still rather not bother .. instead of a roast, I would prefer a piece of chicken, ham, gammon, salmon or steak with a nice crisp salad .. but, as I said above, that's just me .. and isn't it a good job that we all have different tastes :happy:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I'd still rather not bother .. instead of a roast, I would prefer a piece of chicken, ham, gammon, salmon or steak with a nice crisp salad .. but, as I said above, that's just me .. and isn't it a good job that we all have different tastes :happy:
I agree !! Maybe in ice cold weather. Simple is my motto

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I know it is summer but I fancy a roast !!

Meat an veg I know is ok and can probably go without potatoes.

I love Yorkshire pudding though. How do people find these ?

Any other go to foods for a roast that are low carb and delicious ?

You can eat a roast anytime of the year!! I have one most Sundays its really the only meal I eat!

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Used to love a Yorker pud, we would have it as a starter when younger with blackberry vinegar. Mmmm.

Not had one since diagnosed. Still like a roast though, pork with crackling, rib of beef, lamb, cauliflower mash etc, lovely