Super bolus

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Can anyone explain what this is? I'm wondering if it's only suitable for T1's who use a pump.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone explain what this is? I'm wondering if it's only suitable for T1's who use a pump.

Yes, it is only for pumpers. You turn your basal delivery off or down for a few hours and then you add the insulin lost from the basal on to the meal time bolus so all the insulin is working straight away to deal with a high carb meal, but, because you have turned basal off/down, you avoid a later hypo. It's a fairly high maintenance technique to be doing often, because there's maths and buttons to press to turn off and back on etc, but apparently it's popular with pregnant pumpers where the post prandial targets are much tighter.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Thanks. I came across a similar question in a Facebook group for Libre users that I belong to. I'd never heard of it but thought it might be for pumpers.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's also a principle we use in OpenAPS to allow the system to deliver boluses for food in a safe way.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seems like madness to me.......at least for dealing with higher carb/higher fat meals.....there are options there already within the pump....without fiddling with the basal....