Support gratefully received

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Righty-ho peeps, I could do with your support please. I've been going through a rough patch for a few months, weight has crept up by a stone (14lbs) if not a bit more, and I want it gone:mad:
I lost a lot of weight, nearly 6 stones and although I'm probably classed as overweight, I'm in size 14/16 clothes (dependent on the shop!) so not too bad. As I've mentioned before, I'm a binge eater, emotional stuff that goes back to childhood, so it's not really an issue of hunger for me, more emotional eating. My bg numbers are fine, all in normal limits when I check and this is probably down to the weight loss. But I know if I keep going like this, I'm playing with fier, and sooner or later, they'll creep up again.
I know that lower carb gets the weight off me, and I know I need to stick to it wholeheartedly, and not prat around like I have been doing. I'm fortunate in that I can tolerate carbs without an increase in bg's now, but weight increase is a big no-no for me so I'm going to tackle it by cutting out all pasta, rice and spuds - don't eat bread so not a problem.

I'm giving myself a month to get this weight down, I want at least half a stone, hopefully more, off. can I ask for a bit of moral support please? Got so much else going on in my life, I know it's not an excuse but the emotions are playing havoc - so asking for a bit of help.

So, I start tomorrow. I appreciate any replies, thanks.:)

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Half a stone is not much and if you're cutting out pasta, rice and spuds, it should be easy, notwithstanding the emotional eating.

You have my support (FWIW) but your "start tomorrow" comment is now your commitment ... now just the follow through.

You've lost 6 stone so that's a huge comeback. Mark each day when you believe you've stuck to the plan, don't get on the scales and let it take its natural course ... and up the water intake. You've obviously done this before so don't think you can't do it again

Mike :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @ladybird64
You have my support as well. I agree with @Mike D that you have now made that commitment. You have done so well and done this before. If you cut those carbs it will do the job. Why don't you post here with food updates and a weekly weigh -in. That way we can keep the support coming?

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck! My eating issues are similar, albeit without the binging. I'm not hunger driven - and I can motivate myself past emotional challenges once I make the commitment short term (up to 5 years), but once whatever drove me to make the change is no longer the stress that is a constant in my life regains prominence and the weight creeps back up. Hunger feels to me as it it would be so much easier to work past long term than emotionally driven eating. (But, of course, the grass is always greener . . . )

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@ladybird64 You know you can do it, and I'm sure you will. Just remember you might need to increase your fat intake as you cut down on the carbs. I have bought lots of different types of cheese and snack on them in the evening, with chorizo, and peperamis, instead of carby stuff.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Ladybird64, big congratulations on your achievement so farNow write down your daily food intakes and your long term goals and ....you will achieve your goals...keep posting and you will find plenty of fellow feeling and supprt

Reactions: 2 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
OF COURSE you CAN and WILL do it again! It is not a venture into unknown for you, chance to put your previous experience into practise again.
Just put it all in writing here....all the good and 'naughty' moments and perhaps our comments and support will help you to keep you improving each day ;) It is one step at the time again,,put some music on and you'll be doing dancing steps..'cha-cha-chaaa' :D

Reactions: 4 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought of limiting your eating window? doing an intermittent fast while sleeping and missing breakfast then having lunch and dinner in an 8 hour window? I think quite a few people here have had good results on it. Can't find the thread at the moment but I'm sure it's around somewhere.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
'Give up, give in, or give everything' Good luck ladybird, you can do it :)

All the best RRB :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wow, this really has given me a boost to see your replies folks:D. When I wrote "tomorrow", it was late and tomorrow had already arrived - so today in fact! I have to be a little careful with the fats but generally I should be ok, medical reasons. Anyway, wasn't hungry so no breakfast, lunch was a smallish chunk of Brie, the same of feta and some slices of various cold meats - and some pickled cabbage. Dinner was roast pork and different veggies, no spuds. I've got the small bottles of carbonated water, good point about that as it's easy to forget. Snack was an apple, I may have some yogurt later as evening is my new "grazing time", always a dodgy time of day. So far, so good!
I won't post my weight as it's something I find hard to disclose, but I will get on the scales in a week and see how it's going.

Thanks again everyone x

Reactions: 8 people

glorybd5

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Ladybird, I have just joined this forum, sort of got onto the wrong forums, I don't have diabetes, just voluptuous!!! Have been following the guide lines for about 10 days, only finished reading the book 2 days ago, have been having 3 shakes a day.
It's early and I couldn't sleep so made an omelette
With Tomato 1 spring onion and silver beet, could only eat half! Now having coffee! Was tasty!
Did you read the book thoroughly? I couldn't recall
Seeing anything about salt or milk?
Are you in the UK? I am in Oz, I am 69 and shall be 70 4 weeks today....am aiming to lose at least 8kg if not more before my birthday! Am so sick of my life long yoyo dieting! One knows at this mature age what is fattening, I live alone and still working, so more or less come home and eat rubbish for dinner!! But for the last 10 years have said I will have my weight under control
By the time I turn 70! well I have left it a bit late! So the rush is on! Almost made myself ill about 12 days ago, after 2 nights of bingeing, I said to myself....that's it girl or you won't make your big birthday, so the scales are down 8kg. I know it sounds a lot but trust me it was just blubber from the night bingeing!
I think I shall call today my first day, another reason I wish to lose weight is that I have had trouble with my knee....another hint to lose weight eh?
Good luck, hope we can support each other.
My downfall is chocolate, and biscuits chips and ice cream, only have 1 glass of wine once a week or 1 glass when I go out for dinner, don't smoke either! So it's the sweet thing for me, guess portion sizes too!
Cheers, Glorybd5

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Ladybird, I have just joined this forum, sort of got onto the wrong forums, I don't have diabetes, just voluptuous!!! Have been following the guide lines for about 10 days, only finished reading the book 2 days ago, have been having 3 shakes a day.
It's early and I couldn't sleep so made an omelette
With Tomato 1 spring onion and silver beet, could only eat half! Now having coffee! Was tasty!
Did you read the book thoroughly? I couldn't recall
Seeing anything about salt or milk?
Are you in the UK? I am in Oz, I am 69 and shall be 70 4 weeks today....am aiming to lose at least 8kg if not more before my birthday! Am so sick of my life long yoyo dieting! One knows at this mature age what is fattening, I live alone and still working, so more or less come home and eat rubbish for dinner!! But for the last 10 years have said I will have my weight under control
By the time I turn 70! well I have left it a bit late! So the rush is on! Almost made myself ill about 12 days ago, after 2 nights of bingeing, I said to myself....that's it girl or you won't make your big birthday, so the scales are down 8kg. I know it sounds a lot but trust me it was just blubber from the night bingeing!
I think I shall call today my first day, another reason I wish to lose weight is that I have had trouble with my knee....another hint to lose weight eh?
Good luck, hope we can support each other.
My downfall is chocolate, and biscuits chips and ice cream, only have 1 glass of wine once a week or 1 glass when I go out for dinner, don't smoke either! So it's the sweet thing for me, guess portion sizes too!
Cheers, Glorybd5

Hi Glory, and welcome. You're ahead of me by a few years (I'm 52) but age is just a number lol. I've had some serious illness in the last couple of years which has impacted on my body quite a bit so I'm not as mobile as Id like either - plus having to take a lot of Meds unfortunately.
Glad to have you along and we can certainly support each other, but I'm rather confused about the book you mention - I haven't read anything?
Anyway, bad as well as good so last night (Yep, my worst time), 4 Chocs from Mother's Day box (last of them) and a very small serving of porridge and cream. Why I don't know because I don't even like the stuff!
Woke ravenous this morning (obviously down to the porridge) and had a couple boiled eggs. Satiated now:)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just updating, sorry for using this as a bingers diary lol. Well, yesterday was a slightly dodgy one. Felt lethargic and not great, but anyway..
Lunch was a good sized bowl of home made soup, a Chechnyan recipe that my neighbour makes. It does have a very small amount of rice but very little so I'm not counting that. Minced lamb meatballs, carrot, chili and loads of fresh coriander - absolutely lush. Afternoon I got hit by the "urge" and had dessert spoon of trifle. Dinner was another soup, pea and ham that I made myself - I live soup lol. No urged to binge last night so happy with that:)

I feel quite positive this morning, I was going to use the MFP app but decided against it - just want to concentrate on eating good food normally. I weighed myself yesterday and will stay off the scales now for a fortnight (a challenge for me!). Not hungry this morning either so it's all good:)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a prat I am:mad:. I decided to have a stir fry tonight, didn't fancy meat so bought tofu (um..yes, wello_O) for a bit of protein. Just for the sake of quickness, I bough the sachet of Blue Dragon Black Bean sauce, thought I could add a bit of that to the usual garlic, chili etc. Smelled great (used about a dessertspoonful) but OMG, the taste! Straight away I wondered what the hell the sweet taste was as it wasn't in the stir fry ingredients, I ate it but I don't have large portions so didn't stress too much, was very disappointed with that sweet flavour. I've just looked online and sugar is the second highest blasted ingredient! 25gm carb, 20gm of which are sugars.
For crying out loud:mad:. Yes I know, but I'm tired out tonight and took what I thought was a safe short cut - won't be doing that again!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a prat I am:mad:. I decided to have a stir fry tonight, didn't fancy meat so bought tofu (um..yes, wello_O) for a bit of protein. Just for the sake of quickness, I bough the sachet of Blue Dragon Black Bean sauce, thought I could add a bit of that to the usual garlic, chili etc. Smelled great (used about a dessertspoonful) but OMG, the taste! Straight away I wondered what the hell the sweet taste was as it wasn't in the stir fry ingredients, I ate it but I don't have large portions so didn't stress too much, was very disappointed with that sweet flavour. I've just looked online and sugar is the second highest blasted ingredient! 25gm carb, 20gm of which are sugars.
For crying out loud:mad:. Yes I know, but I'm tired out tonight and took what I thought was a safe short cut - won't be doing that again!
Oh dear, chalk it up to experience, and don't beat yourself up about it.
Lots of sauces are high in sugar.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Came a bit of a cropper today. I went out with DH, and we decided to go and grab a coffee. He went to coffee place while I was getting a couple bits of shopping and when I get there, he has bought us a panini each (even though I'd said no food!). Yes, I ate it but what the heck could I do?:( Didn't get too down about it though, I just resolved not to go on any type of binge later and have a good dinner. Which was..some steak, well done (or shoe leather as my DD calls it), fried mushrooms and some roasted cauli!
I'm not a great lover of cauliflower, loathe cauli rice and cauli mash is ok, not great. But I saw that it can just be roasted and that what I did, broke off the florets, tossed them in some olive oil, cayenne, smoked paprika and garlic - half an hour in the oven and they were just starting to catch but tasted lovely - nice replacement for boiled new spuds. Apple and two squares of the dark choc with caramel and I'm a happy bunny at the moment:D