Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I stopped using the mio after only about 3 months due to rashes, sore sites, raised bg levels and worked out I was allergic to the plastic cannulas, so have switched to the Sure T - as it's a steel set and easier to insert, on the plus side I only get red marks from the adhesive but as it doesn't affect my bg levels it's a minor thing - however I am struggling with sites as i've started to get slower absorption on some areas and raised bg levels, so this morning looked for a fresh site on my tum and went in at the side but as it's a bit leaner there the site quickly became painful and i've had to resort back to the softer padding round the belly button on my tum. I tend to rotate around my belly button, did try bum once but as I sleep on it I found that area uncomfortable.

Question for sure t users is do you have any other sites you use ?

D

Deleted Account

Not a t-sure user but I too focus my cannulas around my padded area ... and I don't have a lot of padding.

Do you use anything like SkinTac? I get itchy around my cannula but find this helps for a couple of days (still need to change my set after 2 days because it becomes unbearable after 3). I get these from Animas with my ump supplies.

Probably not a point for someone as experienced as you, @Juicyj but I have wondered how some people remove their cannulas when they say they get welts. I always make sure mine is very wet and take it off slowly- I change my sets after a shower so remove the cannula whilst washing. This was something I learnt to do when I had strapping on my shoulder - the quick tug always resulted in a rash.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not a t-sure user but I too focus my cannulas around my padded area ... and I don't have a lot of padding.

Do you use anything like SkinTac? I get itchy around my cannula but find this helps for a couple of days (still need to change my set after 2 days because it becomes unbearable after 3). I get these from Animas with my ump supplies.

Probably not a point for someone as experienced as you, @Juicyj but I have wondered how some people remove their cannulas when they say they get welts. I always make sure mine is very wet and take it off slowly- I change my sets after a shower so remove the cannula whilst washing. This was something I learnt to do when I had strapping on my shoulder - the quick tug always resulted in a rash.
Use one of the spray adhesive removers. You can get them on prescription and they are excellent for removing the cannulas. Most of the companies offer free samples so you can test them before ordering on prescription to avoid reactions:

https://www.coloplast.co.uk/brava-a...1rWmsmxhe-siQNIJ7HcaAscWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

and

https://www.convatec.co.uk/stoma-ca...RTiJShbvQSxIZmReYCMpHeXYLWiQ1cu8aAh7-EALw_wcB

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey @helensaramay Thanks for your response, to be honest it's not the reaction on the site that is causing me pain, it's the actual siting of the steel set, i'd tried a leaner patch on my tum which was sore from the steel set going in. I am running out of sites around the belly button as some as becoming more difficult for absorption, so I did some research last night and it's difficult to use the back of the arms as it's a tubing set to accommodate and top of bum wasn't comfortable, i'd thought about rib cage but wondered how others coped, I know if I could give my tum a rest then maybe the area would have enough time to heal. I was using Cavlon for when sites were really sore but it's now the actual absorption which is becoming difficult.

D

Deleted Account

Hey @helensaramay Thanks for your response, to be honest it's not the reaction on the site that is causing me pain, it's the actual siting of the steel set, i'd tried a leaner patch on my tum which was sore from the steel set going in. I am running out of sites around the belly button as some as becoming more difficult for absorption, so I did some research last night and it's difficult to use the back of the arms as it's a tubing set to accommodate and top of bum wasn't comfortable, i'd thought about rib cage but wondered how others coped, I know if I could give my tum a rest then maybe the area would have enough time to heal. I was using Cavlon for when sites were really sore but it's now the actual absorption which is becoming difficult.
Have you tried (or have you got) the padded bit around your spare tyre?
I have tried this area a few times but it's not very big on me and tends to get in the way of my jeans but gves my tummy a break.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @helensaramay I haven't quite gone round the other side yet, i'm not sure how comfortable it would be with sleeping as I roll about alot and I have the same issue as you in regards to having to avoid the jean area as that can be sore when it catches on my jeans, it's worth trying to see, but as it's a steel tip going in it can get sore if the area is rubbed or pressed on. I'd thought about doing my rib cage, it's just being able to move to another area to give the tum a rest for a month say and to see if that helps the tissue repair.

Saffron26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Juicyj, I have been using sure-t sets for a long time and initially used my tummy for sites, however after a while I realised I needed more space so I have used my legs and upper bum area - I was apprehensive at first thinking these areas would be uncomfortable during sleep etc but actually, they have been fine and I now rotate between these areas with no problems - I found that I had to give a new area a few goes before feeling comfortable using it if that makes sense? I tried a few new areas at times when I knew I could quickly and easily change the site so I knew if it didn't work out, I could change it - always a good option to have if possible!!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks @Saffron26 for this, I only tried my upper bum once and as it was uncomfortable I didn't try it again, however will now try a few more times to see if it does work, whereabouts in your legs do you use, I have skinny thighs so haven't considered this as was concerned it would get uncomfortable, just had a few sites recently that went high and as it can take a day to bring levels down again I've been a bit wary, but of course want success in finding new sites, thanks again :)

Saffron26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Juicyj, I use the front top part of my legs, this was always my favourite spot to use pre-pumping but I do not have skinny thighs so I can see that might be a problem for you! It took a while to get used to sites other than tummy and a bit of trial and error but it needed to be done - hope you find some good spots!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Saffron - will be more bolder in my next set change and see how it goes :)