Surgery wants higher blood sugar results

jbg2405

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Two years ago I weighed 25st and was on insulin. At my request i go off it by controlling my diet better, reducing weight to 23st and taking one Glicazide per day. That worked well for a while but when my sugar was going upagain through poor diet control I was put on 2 Glicazide and every was fine. I then joined weight watchers and my weight is now 21st 7lb and my sugar consistently around 6. Suddenly the goal I was always seeking is wrong and the diabetic nurse wants a higher figure and stopped both Glicazide pills. This seems dangerous to me. I would have thought the best approach would be to cut back to one and then if all was still okay stop the other but she wasn't interested in my point of view and stopped the Glicazide on my repeats. Is it just my surgery that suddenly wants higher readings or is this some new national revision of safe levels? I have never been Hyper or Hypo.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would find a new diabetic nurse. 6 is definitely not too low.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not aware of any changes

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

You seem to be comfortably in the range. You do not say if this is fasting readings or otherwise. I have no experience of the impact of Glicazide, to know what you might expect.

There are two course open to you as I see it.
Either seek the opinion of another HCP eg your GP, and express your concerns or,
Reduce you carb intake, and if you are able increase exercise

Either way keep testing, and as is often stated in these forums

"EAT TO YOUR METER"

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a similar experience. I'm currently taking 2 Glick a day and the Diabetic nurse wanted me to stop taking the evening one as she was worried I might go low in the night. Result, high BGs. So I spoke to the GP and she put me back on 2. All is well again.

Reactions: dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Keep going. Well done for getting off insulin.
I've heard it adds weight by approx 18lbs. I find metformin helps me lose approx the same after continuous use. Pre metformin and insulin I couldnt lose weight for love nor money!

Reactions: zand

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you having repeated hypos? If you have them what were your last few hba1c results? How often in a day do you test your blood? and when do you get that 'usual' 6?

Sorry for all the questions!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Two years ago I weighed 25st and was on insulin. At my request i go off it by controlling my diet better, reducing weight to 23st and taking one Glicazide per day. That worked well for a while but when my sugar was going upagain through poor diet control I was put on 2 Glicazide and every was fine. I then joined weight watchers and my weight is now 21st 7lb and my sugar consistently around 6. Suddenly the goal I was always seeking is wrong and the diabetic nurse wants a higher figure and stopped both Glicazide pills. This seems dangerous to me. I would have thought the best approach would be to cut back to one and then if all was still okay stop the other but she wasn't interested in my point of view and stopped the Glicazide on my repeats. Is it just my surgery that suddenly wants higher readings or is this some new national revision of safe levels? I have never been Hyper or Hypo.
Bizarre - I'm on Gliclizide - 40mg twice a day. Together with weight loss and exercise (and if I eat carbs in the evening), I have a fasting reading on the morning from anywhere between 3.8 and 5.8. My lower readings tend to be when I have had carbs such as bread the night before. I believe the way that the drug works is to increase insulin production. Your nurse saying that your levels should be higher seems very odd. Wonder if she needs some retraining? Either way I think I'd say to have a chat to your doctor - sometimes these nurses don't always know what they are talking about (and that's no way derisive of the nursing profession - it's just they are not medically qualified doctors).

Reactions: dbr10 and 1abRat

jbg2405

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Were you having repeated hypos? If you have them what were your last few hba1c results? How often in a day do you test your blood? and when do you get that 'usual' 6?

Sorry for all the questions!
I've never had any hypos. I usually only test once but currently testing 2/3 times because I am running at a higher level without the Glicazide. My last Hba1c result was just over 6. The previous one had been over 8 hence 2 Glicazide instead of 1. Before Xmas I was checking in the mornings only and sometimes getting results in the mid 5s.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would try without the Glicazide.

See what results you get, then re-adress whether you need it or not.
If you do, they will prescribe it again.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In that case I'd go to your GP and get him/her to override the nurses decision.

You've already got evidence that lowering the dose caused higher BS, so dropping them all together is defo the wrong thing to do.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Six point something is what I see pre meals all the time. That nurse is not talking sense.
I get that by eating low carb, but I can't see that how it is achieved matters at all - it is perfectly normal.