Survey for refusal of strips

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Looked at bbc health site that has a link to DIABETES UK. They are doing a survey for diabetics being refused testing strips. It was dated 30th July, so survey is still open..

Thought type 2's on here may want to complete survey...

Loving life

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks bluetit, I'm hopeless at posting links!!
Think the more people that fill it in the better.

Loving life

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Bump

Loving life

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It asks for your name and email address, but the survey will just let you put a postcode and still submit. I'd rather not give them my name and email address.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm still prescribed strips by my GP, 100 a month. I must admit, they have half heartedly asked if I'd like to stop, and I say no. They're fine with that. I don't always get them, as I don't use that many anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katchoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been refused, but they were never offered and I was warned not to do it myself as "I would get obsessed with it". Given that my BG was 25.8 when I was diagnosed, if I didn't test I'd never know if my lifestyle changes were working as I've only been offered one appointment a year to check my levels....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Katchoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I guess I might get a check after six months, as I noticed that I only have two issues left on my repeat prescription for metformin.

I'm not massively happy with my GP in general really, as when I had my Hba1c results all she would tell me was "you're doing really well". When the Desmond nurse asked me for my results I had to give her my permission to print them up as I had no idea what they were. I discovered my Hba1c was 88, which is pretty far removed from "doing really well". Luckily I bought my own meter after registering on here and keep tabs on it myself, and my levels never go above 5.5mmo/l now as long as I'm sensible.

Anyway, sorry I didn't want to derail the thread with my whinging! :)

dootsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
exercise
I have been refused strips, I had a few left, done it this morning and my god it was 24.3, im **** scared. I have just lost my sister to diabetes, i dont want to end up like her

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have been refused strips, I had a few left, done it this morning and my god it was 24.3, im **** scared. I have just lost my sister to diabetes, i dont want to end up like her

With levels at 24 they should be encouraging you to test!! Unbelievable ignorance from nhs staff. I would be asking to speak to the Practice Manager and ask for an explanation of their reasons in writing.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Insist on being seen at the docs - that read is way too high. I am planning on a dessert later today (25th wedding aniversay) but even then would not like a reading that high. Play like a 3 year old and have a temper tantrum until you are listened to.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Temper tantrums do not work, far better to be professional and tell them that they risk you having to go into a&e if your levels give you ketones and prove to be harming your health. Tell them you know that your levels should be 6 and you wish to work with them to avoid your admittance to hospital. How are they hoing to work with you to aboid this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With levels like those @dootsie I would be buying my own strips, at least until you get some from your GP (if ever you do). You can only learn which foods affect you by testing before you eat and again at 2 hours after (and even at 1 hr after too). If you showed those readings to your chef-partner, he may be more willing to cook more suitable foods for you.

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Done. Have only been refused once. I stated my case and had to wait in surgery for 40 mins till they got a script for me.:(