suspected RH

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just read it again to make sure that it is RH they are referring to.
It's not!
They are referring to normal people who get a reaction from high carbs and sugars (like two glazed doughnuts!)

The reaction that this post prandial syndrome, is not for normal people either!(I remembered the name of the condition!)

The difference between a normal person having a RH reaction is normal but we are not!
Our reaction, which is not described, is more severe and the insulin response is entirely different to what they describe. We have an overshoot of secondary insulin response. That just keeps coming hence the hypo.
They do not describe the rebound effect of having low to moderate or high hypo treatment which is very critical at the stage of continuous hypos.

Having said that, testing and experimentation is the recommended way of treatment to start off with. You never know what your intolerance are and how much of low GI you can get away with, we are all different!

Interesting this is
During my OGTT i felt completly normal when my blood sugar levels was 3.3 at the end of 5 hours
But either way the treatment seems to be exactly the same for either
For dinner i had sweet potato, sweetcorn and chicken.
My catered food was supposed to be chips and pasta (which could have potentially caused me to have a hypo)

The first time i had a hypo i fainted
It was last year may time
I ate breakfast of bread and cheese then 2 and a half hours while at college i passed out

Oh and one more piece of information, i dont drink alcohol or smoke

Tbh with low GI portion sizes does play a major role too

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting this is
During my OGTT i felt completly normal when my blood sugar levels was 3.3 at the end of 5 hours
But either way the treatment seems to be exactly the same for either
For dinner i had sweet potato, sweetcorn and chicken.
My catered food was supposed to be chips and pasta (which could have potentially caused me to have a hypo)

The first time i had a hypo i fainted
It was last year may time
I ate breakfast of bread and cheese then 2 and a half hours while at college i passed out

Oh and one more piece of information, i dont drink alcohol or smoke

Tbh with low GI portion sizes does play a major role too

For some reason I could never be a heavy drinker, a couple of pints and that was it!
Gave up smoking sixteen years ago nearly.
During my hypo hell, I used to have blank periods, wether I fainted, passed out or whatever. I didn't know or remember, a lot of my history in the last few years before diagnosis is lost to my memory!

It's awful!
Being in control is much better!
Doing without is much better!
Being well is much better!

Reactions: LoBright4

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason I could never be a heavy drinker, a couple of pints and that was it!
Gave up smoking sixteen years ago nearly.
During my hypo hell, I used to have blank periods, wether I fainted, passed out or whatever. I didn't know or remember, a lot of my history in the last few years before diagnosis is lost to my memory!

It's awful!
Being in control is much better!
Doing without is much better!
Being well is much better!
Ahh fair
Glad you gave up smoking
The effects it has on people outweigh the good

I got a letter today
In it it said i will have a short Synacthen test
What is it about if you dont mind me asking?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ahh fair
Glad you gave up smoking
The effects it has on people outweigh the good

I got a letter today
In it it said i will have a short Synacthen test
What is it about if you dont mind me asking?

A synatchin test is to check your adrenal glands.
It is another of them there hormones, adrenaline.
As with most hormones an imbalance will kick your body everywhere.

It could be the answer, but it might not be!

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
A synatchin test is to check your adrenal glands.
It is another of them there hormones, adrenaline.
As with most hormones an imbalance will kick your body everywhere.

It could be the answer, but it might not be!
Ahh cool
In the letter the endo ruled out insulinoma
Thanks again for the help :D

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ahh cool
In the letter the endo ruled out insulinoma
Thanks again for the help :D

Most tests to these types of endocrine problems are to eliminate other possibilities because there is no outright test that will positively diagnose Hypoglycaemia and it's many forms.
Here's hoping the tests are good for you and then you can get down to what will help your future health.

Best wishes

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Most tests to these types of endocrine problems are to eliminate other possibilities because there is no outright test that will positively diagnose Hypoglycaemia and it's many forms.
Here's hoping the tests are good for you and then you can get down to what will help your future health.

Best wishes
ahh cool
curious
do you have to pay for your repeat glucose strips and lancets
my pharmacy was going to charge me for it
i didn't buy it because i think i am exempt from paying for it, i may be wrong though

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ahh cool
curious
i didn't buy it because i think i am exempt from paying for it, i may be wrong though

On what basis do you believe you are exempt from prescription charges?

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
On what basis do you believe you are exempt from prescription charges?
i just assumed as i was given the glucometer for free when i went to see the endo and it is repeat prescription. i have never had t pay for prescriptions till now so it is also taking time to adjust lol

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ahh cool
curious

If you get a diagnosis of RH! Because you are not diabetic you may have to come off the register.
Your GP can and will have the final word on anything to do with prescriptions.

Myself, I had my endocrinologist write to my GP, and he allows me them on the fact that I only have a hundred every prescription, which is two months!
Because, I now know and have control, I only check when I feel a bit off or I'm testing for specific information purposes, like meals I regularly have to see if I can have a bit more of my favourite foods.
Or when I'm fasting, to make sure I'm ok!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i just assumed as i was given the glucometer for free when i went to see the endo and it is repeat prescription. i have never had t pay for prescriptions till now so it is also taking time to adjust lol

That the item is on a repeat prescription, the eligibility for prescription relates to the drugs prescribed, rather than the underlying condition. Your Doctor would also have to sign the application form, supporting it.

This is the link to the exemptions page, so have a read through.: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

I was diagnosed T2 in 2013 and I have never received a free prescription. Indeed, aside from when I was a child I have never, ever had a free prescription.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you get a diagnosis of RH! Because you are not diabetic you may have to come off the register.
Your GP can and will have the final word on anything to do with prescriptions.

Myself, I had my endocrinologist write to my GP, and he allows me them on the fact that I only have a hundred every prescription, which is two months!
Because, I now know and have control, I only check when I feel a bit off or I'm testing for specific information purposes, like meals I regularly have to see if I can have a bit more of my favourite foods.
Or when I'm fasting, to make sure I'm ok!

Lamont, according to the information on your profile, you would receive free prescriptions, based on age anyway.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lamont, according to the information on your profile, you would receive free prescriptions, based on age anyway.

Do you know what, I never knew that!
Go figure!
I had to fight for mine before I assume, my sixtieth birthday!
Diagnosis has been a while now!

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
That the item is on a repeat prescription, the eligibility for prescription relates to the drugs prescribed, rather than the underlying condition. Your Doctor would also have to sign the application form, supporting it.

This is the link to the exemptions page, so have a read through.: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

I was diagnosed T2 in 2013 and I have never received a free prescription. Indeed, aside from when I was a child I have never, ever had a free prescription.
oh i see
thank you for the info

tbh i should have know this as i am studying pharmacy :joyful:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
oh i see
thank you for the info

Your GP should still have the final say, as if you do have to test, you should get the prescription!
I know this applies to all diabetics, but not knowing as a hypoglycaemic is downright dangerous!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh i see
thank you for the info

That made me smile. :)

When I looked it up, I thought full-time education exempted you, but only "by right" until 18. When I Googled it specifically, apparently, many student can qualify for the exemption on the basis of "low income".

Clearly I have no idea of your circumstances, nor would I ask, but it could be worth having a look into that.

Alternatively, if you receive 2, or more, pots of strips a month on prescription, paying the charge is better value than buying them directly yourself.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your GP should still have the final say, as if you do have to test, you should get the prescription!
I know this applies to all diabetics, but not knowing as a hypoglycaemic is downright dangerous!

Reading @LoBright4 's posts on this thread, he does have a repeat prescription, but that doesn't mean it's free of charge.

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only

When I looked it up, I thought full-time education exempted you, but only "by right" until 18. When I Googled it specifically, apparently, many student can qualify for the exemption on the basis of "low income".

Clearly I have no idea of your circumstances, nor would I ask, but it could be worth having a look into that.

Alternatively, if you receive 2, or more, pots of strips a month on prescription, paying the charge is better value than buying them directly yourself.
it was up to 19 in my case XD i repeated a year at sixth form. tbh i hardly use the strips/ only use them when i experience episodes of hypos

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only

I will go back to my pharmacy and pay for it :)
I should have asked my GP when i saw them today
I will phone the practice tomorrow

Thanks again for the help

Reactions: Lamont D

LoBright4

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just wondering how often i should test my blood sugar levels
As i only test it in the mornings before breakfast and before i go to sleep and when i feel symptoms