Swede and carrots

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Does anyone count any carbs for these veg when carb counting for their insulin dose? Last night I had a big plateful of both with a few slices of beef and 4 boiled potatoes. I only counted the carbs in the potatoes, as usual, but my sugars were sky high 2 hrs later. I had pot roasted the veg around the beef with a tin of tomatoes and a couple of onions and celery. The stew did taste quite sweet I have to admit.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri!

I would have counted the carbs for onion (6g per 100g), tomatoes (13g per 400g can), carrot (6.5g per 100g), swede (5g per 100g) and potato (17g per 100g) and jabbed my Apidra accordingly. I bet that's a whole lot more carb than you realised!

Smidge

Reactions: lorraine95

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
That's probably an underestimate of about 25-30g !! OMG - thanks Smidge.
Problem I have now is that when I have had these veg just plain boiled I've never previously counted and I haven't noticed a problem with my 2 hr post meal sugars. I've got plenty of other issues at the moment though :roll:

SouthernGeneral6512

I would always have thought that swedes and carrots were health foods :( .

So do most people on the low carb diet tend to replace it with fat or protein?

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
I would always have thought that swedes and carrots were health foods :( .

So do most people on the low carb diet tend to replace it with fat or protein?

because it's the carbs that raise your blood sugar, not the fats and protein...

Swedes and carrots are fine provided you realise they have a carb count and you take account for it in your daily total.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Carrots are the culprits too. Swede not so bad.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My experience as a carrot and swede lover is that they're root vegetables so are sweeter than above the ground veggies. Even before I was diagnosed I realised something was going on after a good serving of carrot and turnip. I've tested myself after a serving of potato with a meal and my levels are sky high so I now I've reluctantly turned my back on root veg completely. I eat any veg grown above ground and plenty of protein and if I do feel the urge for a spud - I have a packet of crisps at 13.5g of carbs and I feel happy with that. :)

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi after going on the DAFNE course i was told dont count any veg or beans or pulses. This really surprised me cos like uou say when you add them all up it can come to a faur amount. Sposrently its because they absorb so slowly dhouldnr make s difference but clearly for som it does.
Onve again its all a bIt of confusion :-/

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
leb said:
Hi after going on the DAFNE course i was told dont count any veg or beans or pulses. This really surprised me cos like uou say when you add them all up it can come to a faur amount. Sposrently its because they absorb so slowly dhouldnr make s difference but clearly for som it does.
Onve again its all a bIt of confusion :-/

Hi Leb ... I think even HCPs get confused between a 'weight loss diet' and a 'diabetic low carb diet'. Personally, my priority is eating to my meter, ie testing before I eat, making a note of what I've eaten and testing one hour after I've eaten. Only that has given me any idea about what sends my BG high and what keeps it down. I keep a record of those foods that don't affect me and they go on my shopping list and some of them are the yummiest foods.

I'm not cutting out carbs altogether but I have replaced bread with Hovis Crackers, Morrison Crispbakes and Ryvita and I don't miss bread because I used to keel over after eating it and want to sleep for 2 hours!

As for veg, I steer clear completely of all root veggies because they're sweeter than those grown above ground and they do send my BG up, but the upside of the LCHF diet is that I can have my sprouts and cabbage with butter on them, just the way I love em.
:wink:

LCHF doesn't mean I eat shedloads of fat and oil, but it means I have butter on my veg and my crackers, I have meat with the fat and skin on and it TASTES better and is more satisfying. I eat eggs and fish to my heart's content too and I don't feel in the least deprived and for the first time in years I LOOK FORWARD to eating.

Oh and the strawberries/peaches with single cream that I have every day - well now that's just pigging it! :wink:

I used to enjoy the odd fizzy drink now and then but I've cut them out and I now drink Indian Tonic Water which comes with many flavours added - Cranberry, Lime, Lemon etc and it tastes just like lemonade to me so I'm happy with that as my 'soft drink'.

What I've noticed since adding more protein and fat and deleting the 'bad and empty carbs' - bread, cakes, pastries, cereals, fizzy drinks etc is ... I am developing a natural aversion to the bad carbs, in fact I instinctively refused them when I was a child so I guess I always knew what was good for me back then and I learned to eat them - sadly, we live in a 'bad carb friendly' world. Bad carbs are often more freely available, they're the quick and filling foods and especially if on a low budget it's tempting to put a wee bit of protein in between two slices of bread isn't it? So I think we have to change how we balance out our food, MORE protein LESS carb and we can choose to do it slowly or just do it.

I'm taking a systematic approach to this diabetes - reduce blood sugar first, start weight loss second when I know what foods I can safely eat, introduce exercise next when my energy levels are better.