sweet potato?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI

Does anyone else seem to react to sweet potato? I think it may of been what caused me to have 8.5 levels at 2 hour past dinner when 1 hour past dinner i was 7.7 all I had was boiled sweet potato with some kerry gold butter with roast chicken and salad leaves

Hotpepper20000

HI

Does anyone else seem to react to sweet potato? I think it may of been what caused me to have 8.5 levels at 2 hour past dinner when 1 hour past dinner i was 7.7 all I had was boiled sweet potato with some kerry gold butter with roast chicken and salad leaves
Sweet potatoes and regular white potatoes
raise my BG the same.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sweet potatoes and regular white potatoes
raise my BG the same.

Wow really ! White potato gave me more of a spike but still I'm kinda annoyed lol . Any tips on any other root veg that is good like parsnips are the high carby

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sweet potato is 27.9g carbs per 100g and significantly higher than 'normal' spuds which themselves are high in carbs.
Turnip is low carb at 2.0 carbs/100g and swede also low at 3.3g.
Carrot is 6g and half the carbs of parsnips at 12.9g.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat a small amount of carrot, and turnip, swede, celeriac all seem OK from my weight controlling days - but not potatoes nor parsnips.
However, I tend to eat cauliflower, cabbage and other leaves, to stay low carb during what for me are the early days of controlling the beast.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sweet potato is 27.9g carbs per 100g and significantly higher than 'normal' spuds which themselves are high in carbs.
Turnip is low carb at 2.0 carbs/100g and swede also low at 3.3g.
Carrot is 6g and half the carbs of parsnips at 12.9g.
Wow I did not know that about sweet potato . My dr said to switch to them . Guess I'm not surprised that he didn't know much else about nutrition lol

Hotpepper20000

So I have found success with cutting out everything that is white in my diet besides Cauliflower and dairy
Simple but effective. Of course there are other foods that I eliminated as well but that was my starting point.

Wow I did not know that about sweet potato . My dr said to switch to them . Guess I'm not surprised that he didn't know much else about nutrition lol

Reactions: kittypoker

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah I was fine all day well in the 6s and 7s and the after sweet potato at dinner I'm up in the 8s

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@coleyd I love all vegetables, root vegetables too. I agree with Hotpepper20000, sometimes a much smaller portion works. When my husband prepares a dinner for us that includes potato or yam, I slice off a small portion from my husband's so I at least get to have a nibble with butter, but it's not much more than a nibble... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: coleyd

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sweet Potato - the clue is in the name. I like butternut squash mash as a substitute for mashed potato. Just cut the squash in half lengthways remove seeds and roast for about 45 mins until soft. Scoop out the flesh and prepare as mashed potato.
Haha yeah I guess we're just told it's better but I know drs largely don't know nutrition. That's a fab idea using butternut squash I will have a go at that. Thanks

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A dietician told me sweet potatoes were a good substitute for normal potato because they have a lower GI and take longer for the body to process. Couldn't understand the benefit really.

Reactions: Type1Bri

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Celeriac is worth trying at 2.3g carbs per 100g weight.

It looks like a gnarly turnip or swede. It tastes a little like celery, slightly nutty. Can be boiled or roasted, or eaten raw in coleslaw it's quite tasty.

Reactions: coleyd

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
A dietician told me sweet potatoes were a good substitute for normal potato because they have a lower GI and take longer for the body to process. Couldn't understand the benefit really.

Carbs : Sweet potato, baked - 27.9/100g Old Potato, baked - 18g/100g
GI & GL : Sweet potato GI 61 GL 17. Old potato GI 85 GL 15

I know from experience the sweet potato pushes up my BG.

This article by Zoe Harcombe perhaps says a lot about some dieticians.
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2016/11/dietitians-diabetes-carbohydrates/

Last edited:

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Celeriac is worth trying at 2.3g carbs per 100g weight. quote from Ledzeptt

I have never learned to post a 'quote' sorry.
I have to agree - try celeriac - if you boil it and mash it with cream and feta cheese it's difficult tell the difference between it and mashed potato. The only problem is, its not cheap and you waste a lot of it when you peel it, oh and you ned a VERY sharp knife. I don't notice a celery taste when its cooked like this.

Reactions: Serena51

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Celeriac is worth trying at 2.3g carbs per 100g weight. quote from Ledzeptt

I have never learned to post a 'quote' sorry.
I have to agree - try celeriac - if you boil it and mash it with cream and feta cheese it's difficult tell the difference between it and mashed potato. The only problem is, its not cheap and you waste a lot of it when you peel it, oh and you ned a VERY sharp knife. I don't notice a celery taste when its cooked like this.
I think it's even lower in carbs. According to CoFID data it comes in at 1.9g/100g boiled so should be very easy on BG.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac is worth trying at 2.3g carbs per 100g weight.

It looks like a gnarly turnip or swede. It tastes a little like celery, slightly nutty. Can be boiled or roasted, or eaten raw in coleslaw it's quite tasty.
Finally got around to trying celeriac mash and it was excellent with pot roast brisket. I used a ricer to do the mashing and this proved to be ideal as I was able to squeeze out a lot of water first.

Reactions: Ledzeptt