Sweet potatoes

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I'm new to the forum so hope I'm doing the right thing here!
I've been told by my GP that I'm pre-diabetic so I am doing my best to modify my diet.
Can anyone tell me please if sweet potatoes are acceptable? (in moderation, of course).
Thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are 20 percent carbs - way above what I can eat.
Try celeriac, turnip or swede, cauliflower and broccoli, salads, tomatoes in moderation and you might add other fruits (sorry - I did Biology, tomatoes are fruits) fairly low in sugar.

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
They are 20 percent carbs - way above what I can eat.
Try celeriac, turnip or swede, cauliflower and broccoli, salads, tomatoes in moderation and you might add other fruits (sorry - I did Biology, tomatoes are fruits) fairly low in sugar.
OK, thanks.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@steph81170 welcome to the forum. Do you have a blood glucose meter? Try sweet potato and test your blood glucose levels before and two hours after. I can tolerate home made celariac and sweet potato chips but not normal potato chips.

Tagging @daisy1 for some new member information for you.

Reactions: jackors

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can only try,watch your portion size and like Alison said then test 2 hours after with your meter .NOT everything is a no no.There are something's that you would expect to give you a high reading just don't .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They have the same amount of carbs as ordinary potatoes. They just take a bit longer to digest. A meter will tell you if you can manage some, and the portion size.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just to confuse things, last weekend we had a lamb stew cooked in a slow cooker. We had added one medium sized sweet potato (about 250gms), along with other veg. It made no discernable difference to my BG level. However the same quantity roasted upped my BG by about 1 in a different meal. So it would seem the answer is to test after meals to see how you are affected, we all react individually.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@steph81170

Hello Steph and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions when you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@steph81170 welcome to the forum. Do you have a blood glucose meter? Try sweet potato and test your blood glucose levels before and two hours after. I can tolerate home made celariac and sweet potato chips but not normal potato chips.

Tagging @daisy1 for some new member information for you.
Thanks for your reply to my question. I do have a meter and will test as you have suggested!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi, just to confuse things, last weekend we had a lamb stew cooked in a slow cooker. We had added one medium sized sweet potato (about 250gms), along with other veg. It made no discernable difference to my BG level. However the same quantity roasted upped my BG by about 1 in a different meal. So it would seem the answer is to test after meals to see how you are affected, we all react individually.
HI Your 6.4 is looking a bit high ? No meds and prediabetic ? Check out Prof Roy Taylor Newcastle or Richard Doughty and Carlos Cervantes on Guardian newspaper site. I was saved by them, when I shockingly went from sweet safe just a bit over normal pre diabetic into not sweet not safe fully diabetic. Now back to normal blood levels, no meds, etc I am assuming that January reading is the most recent.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI Your 6.4 is looking a bit high

Fasting lab test are shockingly unreliabe and are no longer consider suitable for diagnosis. In my situation with rushing to the hospital before work and having to find parking and wait for my number to come up, no two results could be comparable.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Your 6.4 is looking a bit high ? No meds and prediabetic ? Check out Prof Roy Taylor Newcastle or Richard Doughty and Carlos Cervantes on Guardian newspaper site. I was saved by them, when I shockingly went from sweet safe just a bit over normal pre diabetic into not sweet not safe fully diabetic. Now back to normal blood levels, no meds, etc I am assuming that January reading is the most recent.
My fasting reading varies between 5.7 and 6.8,usually low sixes. At all other times readings are in the normal, non diabetic range, both before and after meals. In fact it is rare for my bs to increase by more than 0.5 mmol after a meal - often decreasing from the pre meal figure. It seems I have an overactive liver!

ckneppel

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
True, and for me it makes a big difference what I eat with the sweet potato (or any carbs, for that matter). Mixed with lots of protein and fat it slows my gastric emptying so the carb doesn't hit my blood so quickly and what's left of my beta cells can keep up with it. However, if eat just a bunch of sweet potato chips on an empty stomach, it will be quite a signifigant increase in BG.

Reactions: Rustytypin

ikoz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
could be that some of the potato broke down in the stew, the sugars would have dissolved into the liquid and s/p roasted would not breakdown but would absorb the oil and the sugars would caramelise and not dissolve out

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found the same with sweet potatoes, in a casserole they do not affect sugar levels, but cooking whole (roasted as wedges etc.) spikes me, thankfully not too much, so I also think that in casseroles, the sugar is dissolved into the liquid.

steph81170

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@steph81170

Hello Steph and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions when you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.
Many thanks for the helpful information, Daisy!

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
could be that some of the potato broke down in the stew, the sugars would have dissolved into the liquid and s/p roasted would not breakdown but would absorb the oil and the sugars would caramelise and not dissolve out
The liquid forms the sauce for the stew, so any sugar from the sweet potato was consumed with the meal. So the puzzle is not solved!

topcattc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find Sweet Potatoes have far less influence on BG than say potatoes, certainly help prevent post meal "spikes". However, one piece of advice I found invaluable was the BBC programme trust me I'm a doctor programme which covered the effects of chilling and reheating resistant starchy foods like pasta and potatoes, by doing this post meal spikes are drastically reduced even avoided! Take a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...leftovers-be-healthier-than-the-original-meal hope this helps, certainly helped me....
TC

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm new to the forum so hope I'm doing the right thing here!
I've been told by my GP that I'm pre-diabetic so I am doing my best to modify my diet.
Can anyone tell me please if sweet potatoes are acceptable? (in moderation, of course).
Thanks.
I am more a believer in having a smaller portion of things rather than cutting them out altogether but we are all different in what we can or can't eat