Sweetener for Baking/cooking

papps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being able to hear the wife's nagging
Hi all depressed forum noobie just lost 204 lb in a year only to be diagnosed t1 a week ago.
I am looking for sugar substitute for cooking/baking that doesn't have aftertaste or minimum aftertaste.
any suggestions gratefully recieved.:wacky:

B

badcat

I usuall use either Erythritol or xylitol. Sometimes Stevia drops, but never stevia powder Which I find has a foul aftertaste. Used to use Spleda (sucralose) but then I found out that its basically chlorinated sucrose to make in non caloric / BS elevating which rather put me off!

papps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I usuall use either Erythritol or xylitol. Sometimes Stevia drops, but never stevia powder Which I find has a foul aftertaste. Used to use Spleda (sucralose) but then I found out that its basically chlorinated sucrose to make in non caloric / BS elevating which rather put me off!
Thankyou, i will look into that :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note that xylitol is very poisonous to dogs and cats if you have either and they steal food. Interestingly it causes a rapid release of insulin and the resulting hypo can be fatal. I don't know if it triggers insulin in humans.

papps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Note that xylitol is very poisonous to dogs and cats if you have either and they steal food. Interestingly it causes a rapid release of insulin and the resulting hypo can be fatal. I don't know if it triggers insulin in humans.
Ok thanks for the heads up. good to know as my dog enjoys helping me eat my food lol. so maybe look into other choices.

D

Deleted Account

As a t1, you can still eat cakes, etc provided you count the carbs and take the appropriate amount of insulin.
Over the years, I have reduced the sugar I use compared to recipes and got used to a less sweet taste.
Some say this is a better approach than sugar alternatives as it is changing your taste preferences.
I have certinaly found a similar approach for salt works.

Reactions: Guzzler

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use erythritol or an erythritol/stevia combination for both baking and sweetening. These are the two that my research persuaded me were the safest for diabetic use - they're of natural origins rather than being chemical based, don't raise glucose levels, contain no or virtually no calories, and should have none of the unpleasant side effects that (other) sugar alcohols may cause.

Apparently there are different types of stevia extract and some have that aftertaste, but stevia rebaudiana A is claimed not to have this; see: http://www.everstevia.com/stevia-rebaudiana-a.html

The main thing to watch though with stevia is that because it's so sweet (around 200 times sweeter than sugar) in order to provide it in easily usable/measurable quantities it's often bulked up with fillers other than erythritol, including sugar itself(!!:wideyed:) so always read the labelling to make sure that there's nothing extra included that may affect glucose levels, or cause upset tums.

Robbity

Last edited:

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't bake a whole lot, but when I do, I use Swerve granular or powdered (a replacement for confectioner sugar). For brown sugar substitutes I use Sukrin Gold. I actually broke down and did bake today and made myself a low-carb coconut cake today using the Swerve granular and it worked great. Day to day I use a Stevia liquid in a small squirt bottle for tea and coffee. Good luck.