Sweetners vs sugar in hot drinks?

pugdogs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my friend has said that it is stated that sweetners can cause cancer. I have been diagnosed for just over a year as Type 2. She suggested swopping for 1 spoonful of sugar in my hot drinks, can anyone help with whether this is ok? Not on medication for my diabetes trying to control through diet. I use unsweeted Soya and also have sweetner like sugar on cereal too)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is an anti-sweetener lobby that claims many can cause cancer. Tests to date on animals have involved vast quantities of the sweeteners so aren't valid for humans. I have had sweeteners for many years but do vary which ones just in case one is more of a problem than another but the level you use in a cup of tea is nothing compared witha 2 litre 'soda' bottle.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try drinking your hot drinks without sweeteners or sugar, IMHO the drinks taste much better as you taste the true flavour of the coffee & tea.

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I've been using sweetners for about 20 years, still pretty healthy except the Diabetes.

Also since low carbing, I have seriously reduced the amount I use. Hardly need them any more.

pugdogs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an anti-sweetener lobby that claims many can cause cancer. Tests to date on animals have involved vast quantities of the sweeteners so aren't valid for humans. I have had sweeteners for many years but do vary which ones just in case one is more of a problem than another but the level you use in a cup of tea is nothing compared witha 2 litre 'soda' bottle.
Thank you for your reply. I do also vary them, need something in my tea as find it tastes horrible. Will try reducing amount I have. Don't drink any fizzy drinks anymore.

pugdogs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try drinking your hot drinks without sweeteners or sugar, IMHO the drinks taste much better as you taste the true flavour of the coffee & tea.
Thanks for your reply. May take a while to be able to drink without sweetners or sugar, but will try gradually reducing amount.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone use or used the Cologran from lidl, the tabs are <0.1 carbs & the powder is 0.5/0.5g, I find it pretty good myself.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Im with Noblehead on this I only drink tea and water, I only have the tea , black no sugar or sweetners.
It could be the tea your drinking is it one of the popular brands? Try some of the others. Some are different tasting and really nice.

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. May take a while to be able to drink without sweetners or sugar, but will try gradually reducing amount.
I use xylitol in low-carb cakes and puddings but not in drinks. It took me a year to like coffee without sugar, and now I don't like it with sweetener. I gave up on ordinary tea with or without milk and now drink fruit tea and just hot water with a slice of lemon. I actually enjoy a slice of lemon on its own. And a pint of water goes down a treat every day with dinner. Amazing what I can get used to. (Except Top Gear.)

Reactions: 6 people

pugdogs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone use or used the Cologran from lidl, the tabs are <0.1 carbs & the powder is 0.5/0.5g, I find it pretty good myself.
I have had sweetner (powder) from Aldi but not sure what it's called. Going to Lidl tonight after work so will take a look.

Tinmis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
illness
There are so many different flavours of tea's available now, fruit, peppermint, etc. etc. I personally don't like what I read about sugar substitutes, (nutrasweet, saccharin).
Got into green tea with a chunk of lemon in it from advice off this site and excellent health benefits and soluble fibre in the lemon. Have a couple of mugs daily now. Seems to work.

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
Hi, I rarely use sweeteners, I use raw honey in my coffee and tea. Cream in my java but not in my tea. No sugar or substitute on cereal though I do at times use about a tsp of brown sugar on my oatmeal. I was finding sweeteners pushed my blood glucose up when I did try them. Honey seems to be ok, I use it every day.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't worry about cancer from artificial sweeteners. I think having sugar is worse. I've found I have been able to halve the amount of Splenda I use in hot drinks since I cut out sugar and went very low carb.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't worry about cancer from artificial sweeteners. I think having sugar is worse. I've found I have been able to halve the amount of Splenda I use in hot drinks since I cut out sugar and went very low carb.
I totally agree, it's sugar mainly plus some other underlying factors that put us on the forum in the first place & in my case the vascular decease which diet change turned around for me. Sugar of any sort turns to syrup when heated so must have an effect on blood flow.. (Just me thinking logical again)

Reactions: 2 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Aspartame rumours were a conspiracy, no proven link to cancer etc. I use Cologran sometimes, not keen on sweeteners generally so it tastes no better or worse than any others.

Ali

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I refuse to eat/drink anything with aspartame in, and hate the taste of all others that I've tried, even stevia which people told me was better. I really can't stand tea or coffee without sugar so I've given it up.
I've changed to chai with a small splash of milk no sugar, or green tea with lemon and various herbal teas, no milk or sugar. All lovely and so much healthier :)
My only concession will be an occasional latte (lactofree milk, fewer carbs) or regular coffee with cream and half a tsp sugar. Until a couple of weeks ago that was my favourite drink but that has been replacef with the chai and I enjoy it as much if not more, knowing it's doing me far more good.

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
I refuse to eat/drink anything with aspartame in, and hate the taste of all others that I've tried, even stevia which people told me was better. I really can't stand tea or coffee without sugar so I've given it up.
I've changed to chai with a small splash of milk no sugar, or green tea with lemon and various herbal teas, no milk or sugar. All lovely and so much healthier :)
My only concession will be an occasional latte (lactofree milk, fewer carbs) or regular coffee with cream and half a tsp sugar. Until a couple of weeks ago that was my favourite drink but that has been replacef with the chai and I enjoy it as much if not more, knowing it's doing me far more good.
I'm a huge green tea (mint) fan myself. Only just started drinking it a few weeks ago and love it.

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
I take Splenda with me when I travel away from home. By the way, love your quote :)borrowed it for my fb wall.

Reactions: 2 people