SWINE FLU THREAD

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
JamesA said:
Is the seasonal flu jab going to be given at the same time?

Does anyone know what the latest is on swine flu jab availability? Is it still October?

I'm concerned that we may get a delay getting the seasonal jab if they are waiting for the swine flu jab to be tested.

I have just made an appointment for my seasonal flu jab and it is at the end of September.

Also on Radio 4 this morning I half heard someone say that as swine flu is this year's circulating strain, the flu jab will be for that - however I have not checked this out.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I work opposite someone who has just come back from having swine flu. When he went off sick with it was anybody told about it? No....lack of 'care of staff' by management? Definitely!! :evil:

RebeccaSmith

My best friend has swine flu at the moment and in the last week she has had it, i've spent loads of time with her. Not only am I still healthy, i'm a diabetic and an asthmatic. The government has stirred it up so badly, it's ridiculous. It's just like a flu and people need to start realising that it's not the end of the world; it is dangerous for unhealthy people to have it and I understand that, but having diabetes is probably more likely to kill you than swine flu.
I do find it ridulous though, that my otherwise healthy best friend has been given tamiflu when the illness is showing resistance to the drug. Even my doctor said that healthy people shouldn't be given it.
It looks like I am taking part in a University psychological investigation on behalf of Southampton Uni to advise the Government on how to deal with swine flu and I shall certainly be saying that they have gone OTT big time. I mean having convicts operating a swine flu hotline, diagnosing people that could just have colds? Pffttt.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Swine Flu and Diabetes

Not sure if anyone has raised this issue yet, but I have never been too alarmed about the risk of a pandemic, having watched BBC's 'Everything you need to know about Swine flu' last night, as a T2 working in a high risk environment, I feel that I should be considering the vaccination, but there seem to be some issues of side effects.

Just wondering what the general consensus on this is, as I understand it they will start rolling out 'at risk' shots soon. :?:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Moogie1947 said:
JamesA said:
Is the seasonal flu jab going to be given at the same time?

Does anyone know what the latest is on swine flu jab availability? Is it still October?

I'm concerned that we may get a delay getting the seasonal jab if they are waiting for the swine flu jab to be tested.

I have just made an appointment for my seasonal flu jab and it is at the end of September.

Also on Radio 4 this morning I half heard someone say that as swine flu is this year's circulating strain, the flu jab will be for that - however I have not checked this out.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that there are two jabs this year, Swine Flu plus Seasonal Flu.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
It is right that there is two flu vaccinations this year, the seasonal flu vaccination plus the swine flu vaccination when it becomes available. I have made an appointment to have the seasonal vaccination (and my husband) for next month after I received a letter from surgery asking me to ring up to arrange an appointment. From what I can gather I will be offered the swine flu vaccination a priority group because I have diabetes type 2 and am in the 24 -64 age range but my husband is 71 years old so is over 64 and won't be offered it although he takes inhalers daily. I think I will take the swine flu vaccination because I don't want to catch it and I don't want to give it o my husband. My stepsons are under 24 years of age so I believe they will be offered it but don't know whether they will have it. One thing I noticed is that there was a form to fill in and send back to say that you did not intend to have the annual vaccination, if you did not want it, which is the first time the surgery has asked people to send back forms.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
As your son is a child with an underlying health condition he will be given priority for the swine flu vaccination when it is first available.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Having thought about this, and discussed with my daughter, who is also 'at risk' with thyroid problems I think I might opt out of the swine flu jab, according to the BBC even nurses are not getting it! Will get the seasonal jab though.

RebeccaSmith

I wont be taking the swine flu vaccination. Nurses are declining it and my friend who was only on tamiflu tablets has bad side affects from it. Not good when I have two underlying health conditions. Would rather be bogged down in bed for a few weeks than possibly seriously ill in hospital. My friend took 2 tablets before stopping and she felt worse for taking them than before.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I shall be having the normal Flu jab and taking advantage of the Swine Flu jab as my son recently had Swine Flu which wasn't too bad at all. However, he is young and fit unlike me who is older and fit for my age ? Plus I am a Diabetic, with previous Cardiac issues. So as far as I am concerned prevention is all.

As for Nurses not having it.....after what some of them say on here about Diabetes I wouldn't listen to a word they say !! :twisted:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Shazza said:
I Missed the BBC programme will try and watch on iplayer no doubt there will be lots of side effects with the vaccination but dont want him getting swine flu either :?

That is the problem really, stuck between a rock and a hard place, as the saying goes :?

Do try to watch the BBC programme, quite interesting really, but not sure it helps you come to a decision! I think it is an utterly personal choice, no one will say 'yeh' or 'neh', no one really knows which way things will go either way, and no one can take responsibility for the final choice (except the individual). Not helpful, I know :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi wee....

As you can get Swine Flu more than once I suggest that you discuss this with your GP. He/she is best placed to know.

Found this on the NHS Choices website Q & A section.
I've already had swine flu - do I still need to be vaccinated ?

You can only be certain that you have had swine flu if it was confirmed by a laboratory test. Otherwise, you may have had normal flu or something else. Unless you know for sure that you have had swine flu, and are in one of the high-risk groups, you should have the vaccination.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My brother had swine flu a few months ago and it's not very pretty I can tell you. I had to be his buddy and go and collect his tamiflu for him, I am more at risk, not only am I a diabetic I am also on Chemo drugs so I have a higher risk of catching it and becoming very poorly. Up until now I am doing ok but I worry about the winter months, also travelling abroad too, sitting on coaches and trains I am sure would put any one at risk, the best action I am told is to keep your hands clean, use a hand gel..keep it in your handbag/pocket and at every opportunity use it.

HpprKM

Dislikes
As for the drug not being tested on Animals, there are many who would applaud that.
:D

Yes, me for one! I know the argument about how many life saving drugs were in production through testing on animals - but why should they suffer for our well being? Testing on humans is really the only way to know how we would react to drugs any way.

I await lots of denials on this thought! (Probably stirred up a hornets' nest). But as a Christian with Buddhist persuations I really feel we should respect animals, they are precious and bring so much love and beauty into our world, they are innocent and trusting, until we humans break that trust! Did anyone watch the expedition into the Volcano in New Guinea on the BBC this week, those animals had no fear of humans having never met them before.

I also agree with the theory of cleanliness, washing hands frequently etc, though I believe an 'expert' said that this would suffice and was probably better than the liquid forms, these would suffice as an intermediary for hand washing I would assume.

saskacat

Hi
Just got over the swine flu as I have underlying health issues it really floored me spent 1 week in bed isolated from hubby and 2 teenage sons 2nd week at home recovering work insisted I take 2 weeks at least so I did not spread the "dreaded swine flu" I've been back at work a week and now I'm extremely tired all the time anyone got any ideas on how to perk myself up!!! or is this normal my hubby and sons got swine flu as well but they seem to recover very quickly I was the only one prescribed Tamiflu they were told to take paracetamol and nurofen and spend a few days in bed
Thanks
saskacat

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
By the way, the anti-bacterial alcohol-based hand cleansers are no protection against viruses.

In fact there are some suggestions that they might make the problem worse, because it does clean your hand and you might think therefore you don't need to wash them with soap and water - which is an effective way of preventing the virus spreading.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
There is no point trying to fight swine flu.

A driver where I work called in to say he had a letter saying he had swine flu and was told he was a lier and to get in and do his job, delivering to old peoples homes, schools and hospitals.

Remember there is a ressesion and companys are not getting so much profit, thats much more important.
Graham1441