T 2 What is the best evening snack to keep blood sugars even overnight? I'm wheat intolerant.

Hello, wondered if anyone has any advice for a wheat intolerant diabetic like me as to what I could eat as an evening snack that isn't porridge or Nairns oat biscuits !!!. I also get quite a lot of bowel pain also from most fruits. So my diet is pretty limited. I have T2 diabetes and am taking 30mg Diamicron (Gliclazide) twice a day. One 30 minutes before breakfast and one 30 minutes before my evening meal between 6-7pm. My control is okay during the day and when I test before evening meal is between 4.4 to 5.9 most days. Occasionally lower or higher. The craving for a treat comes after the evening meal and I find myself eating half a McDonalds ice cream and usually two Thorntons caramel toffees over the evening period. When I wake up my blood sugar is around 6.5 which seems too high. Does anyone have suggestions as to a snack that is less 'spiking' to the blood sugar and will maintain good control overnight. Any help would be appreciated. ThanksX:)

Last edited:

Robkww

Hi @Littletenderness I too find snacks tricky and tend to default to unsalted nuts, greek yogurt, eggs, cheese or cooked meats - not very inspiring, not sweet but keeps me going without effect on BS. Hope you find a way, I'm sure others will come along with better suggestions - good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I tend to snack on nuts or fruit such as apples or often 85% Dark chocolate.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Are you eating lchf? I don't really get many cravings this way. Sometimes eat 2 squares of 90% Lindy dark chocolate, sometimes a piece of cheese with a few walnuts. Sometimes a coffee with cream would do it or even half an avocado...

Reactions: Freema

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Cheeses might be Camembert or gruyere or mozzarella... Or sometimes a snack of a few olives would do..

Reactions: Freema
Hi @Littletenderness I too find snacks tricky and tend to default to unsalted nuts, greek yogurt, eggs, cheese or cooked meats - not very inspiring, not sweet but keeps me going without effect on BS. Hope you find a way, I'm sure others will come along with better suggestions - good luck.
Thanks so much for answering Robkww. I have actually tried eating some proteins which may be good in a small amount, the only problem is that they don't sit too well with my main meal protein which is usually fish .As I am getting older my digestive system has slowed down, so I end up with indegestion and just before bed that's a bit of a nightmare!! I adore nuts but have had to give them up because of diverticulitis which won't let me digest them without severe pain and the same with fruits which I also love. However I haven't tried the Greek Yoghurt idea because I thought that dieticians had said there was too much sugar in them. Maybe there is a sugar-free one. I have had Type 2 now for some years but its only in recent years that my body has started to narrow down the foods I can eat without causing tummy upsets. I have had several CT scans and all the other checks and there is nothing wrong physically. Thankyou once again for the suggestions I will try the yogurt idea tonight !

Hi. I tend to snack on nuts or fruit such as apples or often 85% Dark chocolate.
The chocolate sounds good, however wouldnt that make a high spike in blood sugar at night? Wish I could eat the others but stomach won't tolerate as explained in my reply to Rob above. Thankyou so much for answering.

Are you eating lchf? I don't really get many cravings this way. Sometimes eat 2 squares of 90% Lindy dark chocolate, sometimes a piece of cheese with a few walnuts. Sometimes a coffee with cream would do it or even half an avocado...
Hi Angel, what is 'lchf,' as in your first question? Might try the Lindt though. Thankyou X

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife melts coconut oil with 75% dark chocolate and almond butter ... when its liquid she pours it onto a backing tray and adds some chopped up some strawberries and almonds .. then it goes into the freezer .. its yummy I have it in frozen shards with a little full cream chocolate ice cream .. I love supper time :)

Edit to add .. LCHF is low carb high fat way of eating .. I used to do 20g of carbs a day and now in remission

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Littletenderness LCHF, is low carb high fat. Take a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb or on this site https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/?utm_source=hp&utm_medium=dd&utm_campaign=lcp As eluded to in the above posts LCHF can leave you feeling full enough to not want / need a snack.

Depending on where your body is at with diverticulitis (my mother-in-law has this) you might be ok with some nuts or berries, I know the advice has recently been contradictory recently; but centres around if you are in a flare up stage. You might want to try blanced almonds and perhaps blue berries as this do not have the hairs of some of the other berries. Another suggestion is red bell peppers, I think they are amazing.

igual88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians, oysters , anything with more than 4 legs
Hi I'm still getting my heard round the lchf foods but something I have found I enjoy as a snack in evening ( my sleep pattern is very bad only sleep for 40 mins at a time ) anyway I have plain alpro yogurt with a teaspoon of eritherol sweetner and a scattering of either seed mix ( this may not be useful due to the diverticulitis) other option I have is a square of dark chocolate grated ontop.
I hope you find something as pesky cravings can be very annoying.
Since I started on the LCHF I have noticed a dramatic reduction in evening hunger pangs/cravings.
They still sneak up on me but no where near as bad before I started getting my BS under control.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
My wife melts coconut oil with 75% dark chocolate and almond butter ... when its liquid she pours it onto a backing tray and adds some chopped up some strawberries and almonds .. then it goes into the freezer .. its yummy I have it in frozen shards with a little full cream chocolate ice cream .. I love supper time :)

Edit to add .. LCHF is low carb high fat way of eating .. I used to do 20g of carbs a day and now in remission
Wow that sounds good!!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Are you Ok with pickles? Aldi do grilled artichokes in a 280g jar at 1.2g carb per 100g of which sugars are <0.5 g per 100g. I find a couple of those are enough to take the edge off the snackie monster. They are in sunflower oil though. I am completely confused about oils and have no idea as to which are good and which are evil. They are next to the olives above the freezer cabinets.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my first suggestion would be to find out exactly what is happening to you blood glucose levels through the night. It would mean setting the alarm ant testing. You could do it every hour on one hellish night of insomnia, but i think that may give screwed readings, due to the stress of it. Or you could set your alarm for once a night. Different time every night, til you have mapped it out.

That way you would be able to see if you blood glucose is due to liver dumps, dawn phenomenon or a waking rise.

Once you had that info you could start making informed decisions about snacks, timings and possible medication adjustments. If the latter, you may need your doc or nurse's assistance with dosage changes.

Hi, just noticed you asked me a question !!! Sorry you asked if I was 'eating lchf?' but can't decipher what that 'lchf' is ? Is it an abbreviation ? Hope you see this as I am curious !!! X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

dipsydo

As other have said olives are a good alternative. I note that nuts are out , Marks do very nice ( but expensive ) cracking crisps but only one or two can be very satisfying so make a packet last a few days . I find that if I keep the dark chocolate in the fridge it is even nicer and if you drop a drop of double cream over the top you get something like a chocolate ice,

An alternative would be to keep your normal snack and have some ( diluted) cider vinegar ( with mother (. which effectively is a cloudy version)) just before bed or with the snack if worried about your stomach . Some people swear by it with others it makes no difference so may not help but but may be worth a try.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenings were where I used to eat all sorts of rubbish, so my brain does remind me now and then. Since I started the LCHF way of eating its not so frequent. My two favourites now are a piece of cheese, or a spoonful of peanut butter. If you try that one, make sure its the type with no added sugar.