T1 diagnosed a week before Christmas!

Jord4n1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya all, I Jordan and was diagnosed T1 just before Christmas and 3 weeks after my 30th birthday. As you can guess this was a huge blow as quite a physically fit person and with a healthy diet etc but if it's written in the sand.... so be it.

Still finding it hard to come to terms with it to be honest and getting back into my old routine. Which I know will happen just with additional elements to it now

Over the past few weeks I have gotten to grips with carb counting and trying to work out my correct correctional dose ect with mixed results. I know honey moon period but I am really finding it hard as I was pretty stable for a bit. I had my basal insulin correct for the first two and a bit week, but this last weekend and today have been all over the place.

If any one would like to chat through a few things, know some of you may have been in this situation.I don't mind shearing my stats.

Thank Jordan

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Jord4n1986 :)

There's never a good time to get Type 1, but just before Christmas can't have been fun.

It's fantastic you're carb counting. That's crucial for good control. You might also want to look at the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's what we have to do!

It's nothing you did or didn't do. Type 1 is an auto immune disease so sadly anyne can develop it, healthy or not.

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know what you mean about routine. I'm finding work the hardest as I am on my feet all day in a lab and walk to and from work (3 miles each way) so spend all day constantly worrying about having hypos etc. I have had a few and always feel awful afterwards (and during) and completely wiped out

Reactions: Jord4n1986

Jord4n1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank azure! Yer I think I will get that book tbh everyone on here recommends it.

The main thing I am having trouble with is my BS dropping very fast even just walking and when I run it drops super fast i.e. From 7.8 to 4.0 in under a mile and then again tonight from purposely putting my BS to 11.4 and then going for a mile run to be back down to 6.8. I am only on 5 units of Levimor at 22.00 a day. My humalog ratio was about 1-3 drop but seams to be more like 1unit drops me by 5 now. Which I think is huge! Back at the DS tomorrow so should shed some light.

Jord4n1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi alhubb, I know what you mean, thankfully I have only had one hypo so far, touch wood! And that was because I went for a dog walk at bang on 2 hours after eating a 40g carb meal and having 4 units. Which is peak humalog timing. So have been cutting back the levimor to hopefully start ticking the BS up instead of Down while fasting. Which seamed to work today before dinner but not after at 5pm til 6pm. Very strange this diabetic lark!!!

Reactions: Robkww

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Things will be erratic during the honeymoon @Jord4n1986 Its annoying, I know.

All I can say is test lots, and always carry plenty of hypo treatments and snacks with you. If you're going to eat then run you might want to consider taking less insulin for that meal. It's a case of experimentation. See what works for you :)

Reactions: Jord4n1986

Jord4n1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Things will be erratic during the honeymoon @Jord4n1986 Its annoying, I know.

All I can say is test lots, and always carry plenty of hypo treatments and snacks with you. If you're going to eat then run you might want to consider taking less insulin for that meal. It's a case of experimentation. See what works for you :)

Erratic isn't the word! Though I'm still managing to keep myself in range. So all good there. It's the exercise mer-Larky I'm trying to solve. As I want to carry on my white water kayaking ️ I'm testing about 10 times a day ATM and my finger tips are taking the brunt of it. I actually didnt take any insulin tonight to put me to 11.4 and the run brought me back into range.

I'm giving up testing tonight and will only before bed at 22.00.

Thanks again for the prompt replies

Last edited: