T1 New Diagnosis :O

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
Two weeks ago I have been diagnosed as a T1 Diabetic at the ripe age of 22! Just a week after my birthday unfortunately.
I Just wanted to show my face and say hello, Am hoping to learn a lot of stuff on the forum and I have a question for you lot that someone may be able to answer.

I am possibly returning to work on Saturday in a retail based job (So lots of walking), and my shift is a 5am to 11am in which I have to get up at 4am to walk to work at half past and I wouldn't normally have breakfast before hand but have a decent breakfast at my break about 8 ish.. Would I still be able to do this? Or would this cause me to become hypo at work? Which I want to avoid a lot.

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum @evj95 :)

In answer to your question, to throw caution to the wind I'd have a small carby snack before setting off on your walk to work, in time you'll get to know if the snack is needed or not.

Hope all goes well.

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the advice. Going to have to do some rooting around the shops to see what I would like to snack on in mornings before returning to throw caution to the wind!
It's a whole different world to what I'm used to so I maybe pushing myself too much to return to normal, but there's only so much sitting around and watching morning T.V that I can do.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @evj95 , welcome aboard!

It's always difficult to give definite advice when someone has been so recently dx'd and we know little about your insulin regime, general sugar levels, whether you're in the honeymoon period yet etc. etc.

But, looking at this longer term, once you've got a bit of experience under your belt and you've got a better idea of how insulin and food and exercise work together, I think it's highly likely that you'd be able to carry on with your normal routine of not eating till the break at 8, if that's what you prefer.

I've never been a fan of breakfast (mainly because I prefer an extra half hour in my kip!), so my routine is kinda similar to yours, get up, go to work, and not have anything till 3 hours later. It's never really caused any problems for me, although I'm at a sit-down job instead of a walking around one, so that's maybe a difference you'll have to think about.

I assume you'll be on a basal/bolus regime, slow acting insulin for background needs and fast acting insulin for meals. One of the things you'll learn about is how to get the amount of basal background slow acting insulin right. It might not be that easy in these early days, because you might have a thing called the honeymoon period come along which can makes things unpredictable.

But if you get the basal background insulin sorted out ok, you've got quite a lot of flexibility to delay meals till later so saving breakfast till your break should be fine once you're more familiar with things.

Just to give an example, I had a day at work recently where we unexpectedly had to get some stuff sorted out to meet deadlines, so I'd gotten up, no breakfast, worked through without lunch, didn't eat till 6pm. So that was basically a whole day without food, but because my basal was ok, it was do-able.

But, like I say, you'll learn that sort of stuff over time. Before you go back to work, it might be an idea to have a practice run by getting up and more or less pretending you're at work and seeing how you get by for four hours without food to get some clues as to how it pans out.

Remember to keep hypo treatments close by when you're at work, preferably in your pockets or at a nearby desk or counter or whatever. You'd be surprised at the number of newbies who carefully take lucozade, glucojuice, glucotabs, jelly babies to work, then leave them in the staff room locker two floors down! You don't want to find yourself having to hunt down fast sugar if you're levels are dropping.

Best of luck!

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, forgot to add my regime in. Yes I am on a basal/bolus regime. Taking at the moment 7 units of Novorapid for meal times as waiting for a referral to the local DAFNE course to start getting my head around the carb counting stuff then will be able to adjust for what I'm eating, and taking 15 units of Lantus at night for the long acting insulin. I also presume that I am in the honeymoon period.

With this I am seeing that I am rarely seeing above 9 mmol/l at all during the day and rarely having hypo's at the moment, lowest one was 1.7 mmol/l and scared the **** out of me. But on a normal day I wouldn't drop below 4.3 mmol/l. So I think I have a good handle at the moment, but that will all change I bet.

As I work in a major supermarket brand, we aren't supposed to have any personal items on us on the shop floor, as management think that we picked it up off the shelves and are attempting to steal. I suppose I could always carry change around in my pockets so I could grab something quickly off the floor when hypo'ing. But I think the best thing to do is to speak to management about this as we are suspect to random searches during shift.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @evj95 :)

I'd ask to carry glucose tablets on me. If you can't leave the shop floor to test, you might also want a place to keep your meter so you can test during your shift if necessary.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cheers for the advice. Going to have to do some rooting around the shops to see what I would like to snack on in mornings before returning to throw caution to the wind!

Fruits good, how about an apple or banana, or perhaps an oat-bar.

As I work in a major supermarket brand, we aren't supposed to have any personal items on us on the shop floor, as management think that we picked it up off the shelves and are attempting to steal. I suppose I could always carry change around in my pockets so I could grab something quickly off the floor when hypo'ing. But I think the best thing to do is to speak to management about this as we are suspect to random searches during shift.

Speak with HR or the Store Manager and explain that you need to carry fast-acting glucose on you at all times, a responsible employer will understand and should allow you to carry some around with you, Glucotabs and Glucojuice are good and work fast.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @evj95. Welcome to the forum. You've got some great advice from everyone.
Now I'm not certain what I'm going to say is still correct, things change, but I was told on my DAFNE course that they will only put you on the course after a set period of time. 2 yrs after diagnosis so that it was more likely you won't be in the honeymoon period. This may have changed but you may just want to check.
Good luck with everything.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @evj95. Welcome to the forum. You've got some great advice from everyone.
Now I'm not certain what I'm going to say is still correct, things change, but I was told on my DAFNE course that they will only put you on the course after a set period of time. 2 yrs after diagnosis so that it was more likely you won't be in the honeymoon period. This may have changed but you may just want to check.
Good luck with everything.

This is still true in my experience - at my last appointment it was mentioned they wanted me to have been diagnosed at least a year before DAFNE. The BERTIE online course gets a few mentions on the forum as being good so may be a viable alternative before being eligible?

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think the 2 year wait after diagnosis thing has changed as my DSN has recommended it to me already and I think she is putting me forward for it. As I like the flexibility it will give as to standardised doses - can snack and enjoy food without worrying I'm going too low as I know the insulin would be correct for what I'm eating.

@noblehead I have a stash of the gluco tablets in my day to day bag already - Never opened one and tried them yet! but they may be the best thing to just keep in my jacket pocket for work as they are smaller, more compact than a bag of sweets. And I don't think HR or store manager will be the problem as they have been very understanding and have insisted on me taking as much time as I feel like I need, but me being an active ****** now, just can't stand to have anymore time off.

It is the other department managers that I feel may be a problem as any manager is allowed to do the staff searches and some can be right up their own bums about the no personal items rule. Once got told off as I came off my break and forgot to put my phone back in my locker! Honestly don't feel like having to tell them all constantly that I need to have it close by, not the opposite end of the shop in a locker when I'm shaking like mad because I'm so low.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @evj95
as an employer they need to make "reasonable adjustment" to allow for you in the work environment.
carrying glucose with you at all times ( as all of us type 1's do -- or should do ) is that exact sort of circumstance.

and HI !! welcome to the forum too !! :)

all the best !!
x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is the other department managers that I feel may be a problem as any manager is allowed to do the staff searches and some can be right up their own bums about the no personal items rule. Once got told off as I came off my break and forgot to put my phone back in my locker! Honestly don't feel like having to tell them all constantly that I need to have it close by, not the opposite end of the shop in a locker when I'm shaking like mad because I'm so low.

Hi @evj95 ,

Welcome to the forum..!

OK? The subject of security searches.. If you wear a belt? Use one of those belt clip camera sized little bags. (Preferably colour coordinated with your uniform.?)
This will contain your meter & hypo treatment..
Following security "protocol" when going on the shop floor, aproach the duty manager & show em the bag & say "this is what I'm entering the shop floor with. It's for my diabetes."
They may be interested at first to get a grasp on what the little bag contains.. But the novelty will soon wear off for em come turn out...! ;)

Good luck.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, forgot to add my regime in. Yes I am on a basal/bolus regime. Taking at the moment 7 units of Novorapid for meal times as waiting for a referral to the local DAFNE course to start getting my head around the carb counting stuff then will be able to adjust for what I'm eating, and taking 15 units of Lantus at night for the long acting insulin. I also presume that I am in the honeymoon period.

With this I am seeing that I am rarely seeing above 9 mmol/l at all during the day and rarely having hypo's at the moment, lowest one was 1.7 mmol/l and scared the **** out of me. But on a normal day I wouldn't drop below 4.3 mmol/l. So I think I have a good handle at the moment, but that will all change I bet.

Hello evj95

I also work for one of the major supermarkets, but in the distribution depot. They have been spot on with me and they have to make reasonable adjustments for our condition. It's all in a disability act or something. I was diagnosed mid June and im still on a phased return, until next week when I go back full time.

I am allowed to go for my breaks a little earlier to test myself etc. Allowed to keep any food stuff or drinks near by, but I just carry these on me. Im also not allowed to work alone as the depot is quite big so I cannot be on my own too far from anyone.

I have everything in writing, I won't even have any action against me if im off sick, as the occupational health nurse has put in his report about my immune system etc.

If I was you I would ask to see the HR dept and see if you can see the companies nurse. They cannot stop you from carrying potential life saving products.

Good luck.

Last edited:

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will probably go up and have an indepth conversation with the various higher ups in store later today. Hopefully it will all be fine tomorrow - first day back - eek.. Luckily I only do 4 shifts a week and after this next week I have a weeks holiday and I can think about what has worked for me and what hasn't and ways to get it working right.

@Jaylee Never thought of having a little bag attached to my belt - Would easily be covered by my jacket I presume. Will have to look into that idea. Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have a stash of the gluco tablets in my day to day bag already - Never opened one and tried them yet! but they may be the best thing to just keep in my jacket pocket for work as they are smaller, more compact than a bag of sweets.

The good thing about Glucotabs is the container that they come in, the tube is quite sturdy so the tabs don't end up crumbling in your pockets or bag, some other fast-acting glucose just come in paper wrappers and are destroyed in no time.

It is the other department managers that I feel may be a problem as any manager is allowed to do the staff searches and some can be right up their own bums about the no personal items rule.

Don't worry about that, it's the responsibility of HR and the General Manager to inform all Dept Managers that you have a medical need that requires you to carry some glucose, so when you see either of them ask if they'll inform all relevant personnel.

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead The packaging of the Glucotabs was one of the main reasons I decided to pick three tubes up rather than some other products, easier to carry around in a bag full of medical stuff that could easily rip and squash the others and I don't want to be having to clean out my bag every five minutes because of that.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead The packaging of the Glucotabs was one of the main reasons I decided to pick three tubes up rather than some other products, easier to carry around in a bag full of medical stuff that could easily rip and squash the others and I don't want to be having to clean out my bag every five minutes because of that.

When the Glucotabs run low just purchase them again but buy the 50 tab container, it works out a lot cheaper than buying the 10 tabs individually and you can just refill your current 10 tab tube, that's what I do and it saves a pound or two :)