knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hiya, ive been diagnosed for 2 months now, and I signed up for gold dofe beforehand, I still want to go but i don't know how im going to manage everything. I've talked to my team and they say they are going to put me on the pump so i won't need to be doing loads of injections, and my dofe leader says i can keep all my extra kit in the bus, but just for meals and snacks along the way etc... it just seems so difficult with t1! anyone got any tips or anything you did if you ever went?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Extra kit won't be an awful lot of use in the bus if you're half an hours walk away and having a hypo. Any extra kit you need to deal with pumping will be containable in a little enough kit to just keep with you, stick it in your backpack. Obviously if your doing DofE you'll be doing a fair bit of activity, so consider reducing basal or bolus, or just eating a few more carbs, uncovered. You might find snacks along the way don't need to be bolused for because of the exercise and you might be able to think about reducing meal time bolus too, depends how the exercise impact on blood sugars.

D

Deleted member 308541

I signed up for gold dofe beforehand
I had to Google what dofe was, and I remembered doing that when I was a kid at high school and the first year after I left.

I do not know what happened to my Duke of Edinburgh Bronze and Silver medals and record books, they will be sitting around somewhere.

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Extra kit won't be an awful lot of use in the bus if you're half an hours walk away and having a hypo. Any extra kit you need to deal with pumping will be containable in a little enough kit to just keep with you, stick it in your backpack. Obviously if your doing DofE you'll be doing a fair bit of activity, so consider reducing basal or bolus, or just eating a few more carbs, uncovered. You might find snacks along the way don't need to be bolused for because of the exercise and you might be able to think about reducing meal time bolus too, depends how the exercise impact on blood sugars.
in terms of extra kit i only mean spare insulin, strips, etc, not my hypo kit or anything!
thanks for the advide on the bolus tho x