1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T1ED General Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Eating disorders and diabetes' started by jacqfromdwed, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jacqfromdwed

jacqfromdwed Type 1 · DWED Support

2. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

I'd join the discussion but I am type 2. Not only type 1s have neuropathy

3. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is your neuropathy as a result of diabulimia, as described in the first post:
    ?

Or another eating disorder? Bearing in mind this is a discussion in the eating disorders and diabetes sub forum. That's what the ED in the thread title stands for.

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

ED, some at a first glance, may see it as, Erectile Dysfunction( and not seeing the eating disorders and diabetes) ? I didn't now ED was an abbreviation for - Eating Disorder, but thankfully I have never suffered from an eating disorder, but I know it does happen :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. asortafairytale

asortafairytale · DWED Support

Yes agreed (and of course I know what forum we are in! I am a mod), but insulin omission is the primary cause of prolonged high blood glucose in those wth eating disorders and diabetes. Even with any eating disorder involved it is a lack of insulin that is the contributor. I can amend for clarity but can you see what I was trying to put across.

6. asortafairytale

I aim to be posting a FAQ post in due course with a list of technical terms but please be patient with us as we try to get the forum in order. At the moment it is mostly just me in charge here with help of another global mod as a software issue means our moderator abilities have not been approved yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. asortafairytale

No that is true but as said above this is a thread where those that have neuropathy resulting from an eating disorder and type 1 diabetes can post freely. I am sure you can find support elsewhere on the forum however :).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Master

I also read it as Erectile Dysfunction even though I know Eating Disorder is also abbreviated to ED.

@asortafairytale Perhaps you don't realise that most forum users use the "new posts" or "recent posts" pages to navigate to a thread they may be interested in rather than from the list of different forums. Your ED threads appear on these pages, so most just look at the highlighted thread title irrespective of which forum it was posted in. I have to say the thread title isn't clear.

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out. It is not meant to be a criticism.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have run foul of this as I only use the "Recent Posts", and I posted in one of the OP threads and got into troubles with what I posted. :meh:

ED stands for Erectile Dysfunction as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps the eating disorder section can be a subscription area (segregated) only where you join up to post and read the threads, but remains hidden from the main forum. This way no ones feelings get bruised by comments made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. azure

azure Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Rather than a segregated area, prefixes might help @Tipetoo For this forum and any others where it would be useful :)

11. Tipetoo

I will be interested to see what the @Administrator (s) do in this case then.

12. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think segregation of an eating disorder thread only makes it seem more secretive and shameful. People with eating disorders often struggle to share, having threads openly visible shows that the forum recognises the issues and aims to support. An unambiguous prefix would help - I also assumed sexual issues until I saw the name of the OP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. asortafairytale

We used the ED+T1 prefix so to distinguish these threads from any that might be appearing elsewhere in relation to general diabetes issues on account of the fact people often use 'view new posts etc', in the hope they'd also check which forum the post would be coming from. But of course, the title area isn't long enough to put 'eating disorder' (or is it?). I am really not sure that the answer is to this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. asortafairytale

What would you suggest as an unambiguous prefix?

As an aside, could a mod please move these to our 'general chat' thread. Thanks. This thread is supposed to be for issues relating to neuropathy and eating disorders. @DCUKMod

15. Tipetoo

"Eating Disorders" springs to mind as it is the correct term by not hiding under a comfort blanket.

16. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How short does it need to be? Eating disorders is clear but you say too long.
    Insulin avoidance?
    Diabulemia?
    The main thing is that people affected can find it.

17. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have amended the title of your thread to reflect the specific area of Diabetes concerned as the above posts have caused some confusion.

• Like Like x 3
  18. asortafairytale

Thank you so much.

I honestly believed that having 'eating disorder' also in the title would be too many characters, plus it was another mod that suggested the t1+ed prefix. I apologise for not realising this, though. I propose that the other threads for gastroparesis and retinopathy be changed in this way too if that can be arranged @himtoo @DCUKMod.

As said I'd appreciate it if these threads could be added to the general chat thread which can probably be unstickied as I will be posting a FAQ guide tomorrow.

Once the tech issues are resolved and DWED mods have the right privileges this will all be far easier. Please do appreciate that I am trying the best I can to keep everyone happy here.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

Thanks catapillar, didn't know what ED is and I guess it depends on who you ask whether I've got an ED

Dear Blue,

That is exactly how I find interesting threads and especially research oriented threads that I may otherwise miss!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #19 Contralto, Jun 20, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2017
  20. jacqfromdwed

jacqfromdwed Type 1 · DWED Support

This forum is prety much new to all of us - there are going to be teething problems. As stated above it will be easier when its not just @asortafairytale pretty much looking after it herself (from the DWED front). ED may be short for something else but it is also really really common nomlecature in ED forums, essentially it's short hand that we have used for ages, also there are more eating disorders among type ones than just insulin omission (diabulimia) which is why we can't just use that - I suggest T1ED type 1 eating disordered it covers everything and soon enough people will get used to the shorthand. Also the reason that this particular forum is segregated is that it is due to be manned by DWED mods who will only be involved in this section of the forum (unless they otherwise choose)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook