1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T1ED General Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Eating disorders and diabetes' started by jacqfromdwed, Jun 18, 2017.

1. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I think there is sometimes confusion with these DWED threads. There are many types of eating disorders so the title 'Eating disorders and diabetes' doesn't always express to every individual poster on this large forum what DWED really means. It's a tough one to express in a title really. For example, a lot of T2s who are obese would consider they too have an eating disorder. They also are diabetic so could think these threads are for them, after all the threads do come up in the main recent posts list. I don't know the answer I'm afraid but it will be difficult to stop others posting while the threads are on this large open forum and keep coming up on the new/recent posts lists for all to see.

You guys at DWED do a great job btw ( I would have put a smiley face, but the emojis on this site are way too slow today ) :)

Gosh that smiley worked - by typing it out lol!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How about, instead of putting DWED (which took me a while to work out) why not put the name of the actual eating disorder.

And, yes, @zand is completely correct, I consider that I had (and potentially could again have) an emotional and/or overeating, and pathological attachment to food disorder.

(Fifth attempt to post this) - and I've given up on the smileys

• Like Like x 1
  3. jacqfromdwed

jacqfromdwed Type 1 · DWED Support

We agreed with the mods to use T1ED - Type 1 Eating Disordered

This is all new, it will take a while to acclimatise

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Hmm and no-one thought that some men might think it meant T1Erectile Dysfunction ? Just my mind then obviously....

Look I'm not really finding fault here, I think it's great that this section is on the forum, it's just hard when a newbie posts on this forum by mistake and doesn't realise what they have done 'wrong'. I well remember not knowing how to choose the correct forum for my first thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Also... It would be helpful for Type 2s to have an eating disorders sub forum.

@zand - no, not just your mind. :) Both me and Mr Chook thought the same as you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jacqfromdwed

jacqfromdwed Type 1 · DWED Support

T1ED has been shorthand for a while, its also the name we're changing the charity to. Totally agree with the type 2 subforum but as my speciality is T1EDs it's not something I would be able to moderate

7. asortafairytale

asortafairytale · DWED Support
    Staff Member

Regardless of the 'T1ED' being confusing or not, should the fact that the sub-forum is 'diabetes and eating disorders' not indicate that this not about erectile dysfunction? You just have to look at the name of the forum you are in, which will also come up when you view new posts.

As many of those that will be using this forum will be DWED members then they will be entirely familiar in ED=eating disorder.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook