t2 diabetes and underactive thyroid

hi everyone

please can anybody help i have t2 diabetes, also have underactive thyroid. i would like 2
loss my body fat been on some diets but it is hard because of my thyroid can u help also i have just got a test kit can anybody tell me wot is high and low i have to look for can anybody help on both :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The two things seem to go together fairly often.
Are you on medication for tthe thyroid?
I am not the best weight loser on this forum, But I have lost about 2 1/2 stones, over nearly 3 years. Not fast, but consistently in the right direction.
I low carb.
It's a safe way of getting there.
I also keep my BG at non-diabetic level on 2 x 500mg Metformin per day on this way of eating.
I avoid all obvious carbs and have found it comes naturally to me now.
I'm never hungry( except if I'm cold) and snack on nuts.
I eat meat, fish, eggs cheese and very occasionally Quorn. with Loads of green leafy veggies. Sometimes I have berries, once in a while I have a mini apple. I drink tea and coffee, but choose not to drink alcohol.
It's easy to stick to. i don't weigh or measure anything.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
kerryscott_70@ said:
hi everyone

please can anybody help i have t2 diabetes, also have underactive thyroid. i would like 2
loss my body fat been on some diets but it is hard because of my thyroid can u help also i have just got a test kit can anybody tell me wot is high and low i have to look for can anybody help on both :D

Hi.
Welcome to the Forum. This is the information we give out to newbies. If you are at all concerned about your Thyroid problem, please discuss with your GP.

What is your typical day's diet ?

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

As a Type 2 the latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.
If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Hi kerryscott_70

I am also T2 and have an underactive thyroid. I have no discernable symptoms however and therefore do not take any medication except for blood pressure.I am on a low carb diet, exercise regularly, I do not exclude wine or the occasional beer or g & t. Since I was diagnosed T2 about 9 months ago I have lost about 10% body weight and my BMI is now normal. The lower weight, exercise and vastly reduced carbs (& calories) have helped considerably to control blood glucose, lower blood pressure and cholesterol etc..

There is a report on the BBC News website today Low carb diets like Atkins 'better for blood pressure' and it says its
effective at improving cholesterol and glucose levels, as well as waist size and weight loss
I would therefore suggest you cut the carbs, try some regular exercise after having consulted with your doctor first.

nopudanymore

I have an underactive thyroid (takng 200 mg levothyroxine per day) and am t2 diabetic. I also have high blood pressure controlled with ace inhibitors. I have decreased my bg from 17.7 to 7.5 in one month on low carbs. The weight doesn't come off very fast (I've lost a kilo) which I put down to the thyroid and the fact that I'm not doing a lot of exercise at the moment (tho on a plan to increase over time). I've cut down a lot on alcohol, but still drink a full bodied red wine with my dinner (2 or 3 glasses). So far so good!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi nopudanymore

There are a fair few of us who also have underactive thyroid including me. :( I find that only cutting the carbs works for me. :)

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I too have an underactive thyroid. I was then diagnosed with T2 a year or so later. I am on 3x 500mg metformin a day and one sitagliptin (Januvia) a day. I still get really tired :roll: I have tried to low carb and cut back considerably, but find it really hard. But I have managed to lower my Hb1Ac down from 7.6 in Feb to 6.0 in September. Also lost 12lbs in weight.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya all. what a find to discover you lot! T2 and underactive thyroider,s plus some with hypertension just like me!!!Am chuffed to bits to find you, as NOW I can start to low carb correctly? Its very complex and confusing to a total newcomer as myself.Been with hypothyroidism since 1986 and maintained same weight until diagnosed T2 dec 2009 then since taking gliclazide weight gone up to 11stone! As result I am no longer taking gliclazide only sitaglyptin [januvia] max dose. Got both ocular and cardiovascular hypertension plus had a patent ductus heart repair.even more trickier to low carb with I have diverticulitis bowel disease... Have read your advice and it,s clear the only way forward is to low carb with correct meds alongside, with positive veiw to reduce weight slowly and permanently . As results kick in look at reduceing heavy meds dependency? Is this correct? Have i started to see clearly now? Anna.

Jessica120714

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also have an underactive thyroid and T2 diabetes. I've been low carbing for around 3 weeks and feel so much better. I've lost about 3-4lb which is better than I've done in years so is a positive in my eyes. My doctor suggested metformin but I didn't get along with it and the nurse said it wasn't necessary as my overall bloods were 6.9 to begin. I've just joined the gym and aim to go 3 times a week for light to moderate exercise until I get used to it. Don't get me wrong I still get tired often but I'm sleeping better and have more energy than ever before

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also have an underactive thyroid and T2 diabetes. I've been low carbing for around 3 weeks and feel so much better. I've lost about 3-4lb which is better than I've done in years so is a positive in my eyes. My doctor suggested metformin but I didn't get along with it and the nurse said it wasn't necessary as my overall bloods were 6.9 to begin. I've just joined the gym and aim to go 3 times a week for light to moderate exercise until I get used to it. Don't get me wrong I still get tired often but I'm sleeping better and have more energy than ever before
I have T2 and under active Thyroid (50mg levothyroxine daily) and found that low carb is the only thing that works for me