4mydoris99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors who talk jargon
Hi all ,
Please forgive my punctuation and spelling this is due to anxiety I just have to put write as it comes into my head.
T2 I've gone onto low carb diet test results from doc have come down loosing weight which is giving me a little bit more confidence
My query is I take lansoprazole 30mg each morning for stomach problems cannot eat untill about 3 in the afternoon is this ok with diabetes not eating until then for my b's.ive just got a blood monitor and my daughter will sort it out at the weekend because it just goes over my head setting it up and all the instructions.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any meds for diabetes? If not Intermittent Fasting is usually good for controlling your blood sugar levels

Reactions: Lizzy Loo

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hello @4mydoris99 and welcome to the forum. You will find that forum members will be pleased to help you with any questions you may have just like @walnut_face. I am tagging @daisy1 for you who will be along shortly with lots of information which I'm sure you will find helpful. Also tagging @bulkbiker who often only eats one meal per day and will be able to help. Good luck and try not to worry meantime, you'll soon get the hang of things

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all ,
Please forgive my punctuation and spelling this is due to anxiety I just have to put write as it comes into my head.
T2 I've gone onto low carb diet test results from doc have come down loosing weight which is giving me a little bit more confidence
My query is I take lansoprazole 30mg each morning for stomach problems cannot eat untill about 3 in the afternoon is this ok with diabetes not eating until then for my b's.ive just got a blood monitor and my daughter will sort it out at the weekend because it just goes over my head setting it up and all the instructions.
Is the stomach problems due to taking naproxen or a condition?

4mydoris99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors who talk jargon
It's a condition had tests for gallstone? found gallstones but surgeon said it's not the gallstones that's causing the problem ,it my stomach? waiting for camera if this makes any sense so taking medication in the meant ime

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's a condition had tests for gallstone? found gallstones but surgeon said it's not the gallstones that's causing the problem ,it my stomach? waiting for camera if this makes any sense so taking medication in the meant ime
So are there any foods you cannot eat?
We type2s are reducing or eliminating pasta, bread, potato and rice. And of course sugary foods.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all ,
Hi there
I hardly ever eat before 1 pm apart from tea and coffee in the mornings.. I think that and the lchf way of eating are what has brought my blood sugar levels down.. so from my view you should be fine.

4mydoris99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors who talk jargon
No gone onto low c
Hi there
I hardly ever eat before 1 pm apart from tea and coffee in the mornings.. I think that and the lchf way of eating are what has brought my blood sugar levels down.. so from my view you should be fine.
Thank you, you have given me confidence in what's I'm doing

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@4mydoris99

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope this will be useful to you. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all ,

Many of here do that with no problem.
The only thing to watch for is the temptation to eat late, many finish for the day in the early hours of the evening, rather than eat before bed, and my personal problem was overeating after fasting for that long, but a bit of willpower sorted that one out.

dipsydo

Obviously depends on meds ( I understand that metformin needs to be taken with food) and if you need to take any meds with food then intermittent fasting would be more difficult.
I take no meds so not an issue so I can quite happily eat 16 :8 16 fasting and 8 can have food say a couple of meals and no snacks. I find that low carb and high Fat keeps me satisfied so no hunger. Some times I have just one meal so more like 23/1 but that is because I do not feel like eating . I still overweight but losing a bit of weight each week ( 1 to 2 lbs and sometimes nothing ) and BS looking OK .
The important thing is to do what you are happy and able to do, if I am going out I will move the hours around to suit my social life.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Lansoprazole too. My Dr told me to take it first thing in the morning and I can eat breakfast straight away, if I want to.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I take Lansoprazole too. My Dr told me to take it first thing in the morning and I can eat breakfast straight away, if I want to.
I do that too - I take it to stop the steroids I have to take causing stomach problems. If I don't take it I certainly know about it! I've never had a problem having breakfast straight away. I have a little routine in the morning, check BS first thing, take Omeprazole and then get on with the day.

Reactions: Ultramum