T2 & Dry-Eye Syndrome

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I have been suffering from what has been diagnosed by my Doc as blepharitis and using Antibiotic ointment to treat it . The Doc said it had nothing to do with T2, that may or may not be true but, I was worried when I read today about dry-eye syndrome and Diabetes. Could my blepharitis and be related to my T2 condition and could it be related to dry-eye syndrome seen in Diabetes sufferers ?

collectingrocks

Hi wellwell1212

I can't answer your question specifically but dehydration is a marker for T2 diabetes. Might not even have anything to do with T2 diabetes either. Are you drinking enough water?

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Yes drinking plenty of tea and coffee at work all day and at weekend too. I do stare at screens all day in an aircon'd office. I am sure that coupled with the fact that I'm am 59 does not help. I just wanted to sound out other mature T2 sufferers to see what their experience was and any treatments.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Hello Wellwell,

I suffer from Blepharitis and have done so in one eye for some 3 years now after a bacterial infection. My research reveals Blepharitis and other (many) eye conditions to be a fact of life for lots of Diabetics. Did your doctor tell you that this condition is incurable? The only treatment is palliative care. Many sufferers also have had Shingles in the past and this appears to be a significant factor especially if the Shingles affected the forehead.

I would be grateful to know the name of the prescribed ointment and details of any success you may have with it.

Many sufferers treat themselves with baby lotion on the lids - when very sore I use Dexamethasone OCCASIONALLY but one has to be careful as it must never be used for more than 3-4 weeks continuously being a steroid.

collectingrocks

Tea and coffee does not count as "water". You need to be drinking at least 6 - 8 glasses of water a day. Coffee is a diuretic.

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
collectingrocks said:
Tea and coffee does not count as "water". You need to be drinking at least 6 - 8 glasses of water a day. Coffee is a diuretic.

Agree that coffee is a diuretic but, tea? I always believed tea would help hydrate you. :?

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
BaliRob said:
Hello Wellwell,

I suffer from Blepharitis and have done so in one eye for some 3 years now after a bacterial infection. My research reveals Blepharitis and other (many) eye conditions to be a fact of life for lots of Diabetics. Did your doctor tell you that this condition is incurable? The only treatment is palliative care. Many sufferers also have had Shingles in the past and this appears to be a significant factor especially if the Shingles affected the forehead.

I would be grateful to know the name of the prescribed ointment and details of any success you may have with it.

Many sufferers treat themselves with baby lotion on the lids - when very sore I use Dexamethasone OCCASIONALLY but one has to be careful as it must never be used for more than 3-4 weeks continuously being a steroid.

I was prescribed chloramphenicol eye ointment 1% by my doctor. After discussing it with my State Nurse wife, she said they used a baby shampoo diluted with warm water twice daily and had success with this at the care home she works at. I use baby shampoo now to avoid irritating the eye area and also was advised to use "wet one" sensitive wipes to clean the eye of bacteria and it works well. I have also use Golden Eye ointment from the chemist and its ok too.

I would recommend the Wet Ones bacterial wipes, good results here and only use chloramphenicol when it gets really bad.

Good luck with it .. keep us posted

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Dear Wellwell,

Thank you so much for your very informative reply.

I will search the pharmacies here for the items - failing that will try online ordering.

Will let you know how I get on.

Catherine Cherub (Admin) is a bit of an expert on this subject i you need any help.

Rob

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Wellwell,
It could be you are not blinking enough when looking at your screen.
Viscotears can help dry eyes I do not think it has antibiotics in it.
I do not think tea, which I drink rather than water, dehydrates one.

This 'drinking a lot of water' has been debunked by some authorities..if I followed this recommendation I would be up to the loo all night!
best wishes
Derek

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi

i don't produce enough tears so my eyes are constantly dry and sore, i have been prescribes Lacrilube and carbomer by my GP, try these i have no problem with them

Stillo

Still

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Dear Wellwell,

All three items are not sold here, except that Chloramphenicol is available in the form of eye drops which I will purchase.

Will let you know how I get on.

Rob

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Dear Stillo,

Will check whether Lacrilube and Carbomer are available here - thank you for mentioning them.

I ride a motorcycle here in Bali and, without doubt, to leave the visor up exacerbates Blepharitis as does
sitting close to a fan or in the path of an AC unit.

Rob

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Dear Sabantha,

Thank you for Omega 7 suggestion - will try that also.

Rob

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just going to look up my posts regarding the Newcastle diet and I spotted your dry eye questions. I also have had this problem for years and have had all the drops, advise, and vitamins, but no one told me it may be due to high blood sugar levels.
now it may just be a coincidence but since I started on the Newcastle diet, i have not had any problems with my eyes :crazy:

suzyq58

I only seem to suffer dry eye when i'm asleep.been told I don't produce tears when asleep,so that when I go to open my eyes the lens get scatched.this is very sore and painful.usually my doc sends me to eye clinic at local hossie and I get 2 to 3 lots of eye drops.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have suffered with dry eyes for about 3-4 years. Even developed a corneal ulcer to begin with which was excruciatingly painful. I had to wear a 'bandage' contact lens for a month to get it to heal, because my eye was so dry. They tell me it's caused by nerve damage, more so in my right eye.

Along with this I had a condition called filamentary keratitis, which is basically little strands of skin/mucus attached at one end to the cornea - caused by a poor quality tear-film - and again, unbearably painful every time you blink. My cornea was so inflamed that I could only read the top letter of the Snellen chart.

I had a whole barrage of treatments to try and clear this up and it is now much easier to manage. One thing that seems to set it off again is if my BGs go into double figures so, as others have noted, getting your BGs under control is the best solution.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Dear Wellwell,

Tried Chloramphenicol but that seems to make matters worse. I am back on Dexamethasone in conjunction with Potassium Iodide & Sodium Iodide which help greatly with the sharp stinging pain - you know the one which seems as if a lrge piece of grit is scratching the eye.

I wll try to find out whether safe to use for longer periods (The Dex steroid) and how long between periods if ok.

Regards,

Rob