T2 low carb success

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as T2 for a little under 20 years, tried every medication, all of them were ineffective (Byetta made my blood sugar seesaw like mad and me feel sick, metformin gave me upset tummy and seemed to have no effect on the blood sugar - there were others). I started low carb dieting a bit over a year ago, stopped taking all meds a couple of months later and now a year on diabetic nurse tells me my blood results (cholesterol, hba1c) are normal, borderline fatty liver has gone, I've lost some weight. No more consultations - I just need a blood test in six months, 'phone for the results'. So that's a success for low carb. I'm not very strict about it (re-introduced porridge after 6 months) but I do avoid food with sugar or wheat in it. I never go hungry. Don't particularly exercise, but I avoid the car and walk or cycle or take the train. I'm a 65 year old retired academic and feel fitter than I have for thirty years. I'm posting to encourage others who may want to try it.
Best wishes to all
John

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done, always good to hear of people who have improved their health and their prospects for the future. Keep it up.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news, @johnme. It is wonderful to hear that even after twenty years, it is possible to get blood sugars back into the normal range with diet and a bit of exercise. I am sure this will inspire many T2s.

Reactions: shoesy24 and Robkww

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as T2 for a little under 20 years, tried every medication, all of them were ineffective (Byetta made my blood sugar seesaw like mad and me feel sick, metformin gave me upset tummy and seemed to have no effect on the blood sugar - there were others). I started low carb dieting a bit over a year ago, stopped taking all meds a couple of months later and now a year on diabetic nurse tells me my blood results (cholesterol, hba1c) are normal, borderline fatty liver has gone, I've lost some weight. No more consultations - I just need a blood test in six months, 'phone for the results'. So that's a success for low carb. I'm not very strict about it (re-introduced porridge after 6 months) but I do avoid food with sugar or wheat in it. I never go hungry. Don't particularly exercise, but I avoid the car and walk or cycle or take the train. I'm a 65 year old retired academic and feel fitter than I have for thirty years. I'm posting to encourage others who may want to try it.
Best wishes to all
John

That is marvellous news, congratulations !

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congrats, John!! I am really encouraged by your story - an extra umph to carry on in my own journey. Well done!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful and congratulations - your post certainly does give encouragement, John! Only diagnosed in September, I had a "wwwwaaahhhhh I can't order anything here" moment while out last night and succumbed to beer-battered cod (well, it was Butcombe), chips and peas. Only ate about a mouthful of batter and half the chips and peas. Grumpy with myself until I read your post - brilliant news for you and a 'stop the self-pity' shove for me!