T2 Meals with non T2 partner

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks,

I am T2 as you all know but my partner is not a T2 so I am wondering what type of Diet we can both share. I would love to go to Keto Diet however it would be unfair on her to push her towards the same style of meals.

On a side note for a Sunday Roast what do you guys have?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today it is some hogget - that is a well grown lamb, as it is not so fatty as younger animals.
I used to just have the meat or fish with the same vegetables as my husband, leaving out the potato or rice or other high carb option, but as he is not very adventurous with veges I now make myself something more exotic - such as sweet pepper and mushrooms, or things he doesn't like such as cauliflower. He might have macaroni cheese and I have cauliflower cheese. He might have toad in the hole and I have sausages. Sometimes I have half a bag of ready made salad and half a tub of coleslaw with whatever I can find in the fridge, and he has pie and peas. There are some things which don't adapt well, but most of the time we can have the same core element just with different additions.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I cook huge batches of food for my husband once a month....at least four different kinds of meals. Omelettes, steaks etc are eaten too.
For Sunday roasts, I make it all and I don't have the potatoes or parsnips. I do allow myself one small Yorkshire though!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is not T2. He eats carbs, mainly in the form of potatoes, bread, rice, and pastry.

I don't eat breakfasts. We each make our own lunches although we sit down together at the table. That way we have what we want but still enjoy the company. He is the cook and makes the evening meal. We generally have the same meal, meat or fish, and veg. He will have potatoes. I sometimes have 2 small ones and sometimes none. He has given up making his delicious deep meat and potato pies and homemade rice pudding. He eats normal bread. I eat Lidl HP rolls. We don't find it a problem at all. He knows what I can and can't have.

Tonight we are having roast leg of lamb with cauliflower, broccoli, peas and roast potatoes. I will have 2 very small pieces of roast spuds (probably less than one whole spud) and only a splash of gravy. I put butter on the veggies instead of gravy. Oh and a couple of glasses of red wine. No yorkshire puds these days.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

I am T2 as you all know but my partner is not a T2 so I am wondering what type of Diet we can both share. I would love to go to Keto Diet however it would be unfair on her to push her towards the same style of meals.

I've had dinner parties for upto 12 where I am the only diaibetic, served entirely low carb foods and no one noticed .....

for example - prawn soup made with cream saffron and the prawn shells,

avocado with prawns or crab mayonaise on a bed of spinach with balasmic vinegar and nuts

lamb roast with a balamaic vinegar dressing, mashed cauliflower broccoli mix, roast squash and brussel sprouts

berries with whipped cream and nuts

all served with a bottle of prosecco and followed by whisky with some dark chocolate.

Impact on my blood sugars - sweet FA, and on my guests - total satiety and second helpings !

just because your partner can eat carbs, it doesn't mean they have to eat them if the rest is interesting enough - they won't come to any harm not eating them and there are plenty of opportunities for them to get a carb fix when you are not there - work lunches etc.

Reactions: welovedzig

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sheepie123 Hello:) my partner has been told to follow a low fat diet and I eat a low carb high fat diet. This means that, as previous posters have explained , I adapt the meal to meet both our needs. For example, he has just had 2 poached eggs on toast followed by strawberries and no fat yoghurt. I had 2 poached eggs with a slice of cooked ham followed by strawberries with double cream. Roast dinners are easy because we both have the meet and vegetables and I cook some potatoes for him. Before he had to start this diet I would cook low carb cakes and he would eat and enjoy them. :)

Reactions: welovedzig

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had dinner parties for upto 12 where I am the only diaibetic, served entirely low carb foods and no one noticed .....

for example - prawn soup made with cream saffron and the prawn shells,

avocado with prawns or crab mayonaise on a bed of spinach with balasmic vinegar and nuts

lamb roast with a balamaic vinegar dressing, mashed cauliflower broccoli mix, roast squash and brussel sprouts

berries with whipped cream and nuts

all served with a bottle of prosecco and followed by whisky with some dark chocolate.

Impact on my blood sugars - sweet FA, and on my guests - total satiety and second helpings !

just because your partner can eat carbs, it doesn't mean they have to eat them if the rest is interesting enough - they won't come to any harm not eating them and there are plenty of opportunities for them to get a carb fix when you are not there - work lunches etc.

Sounds great, but last Christmas was a bit of a nightmare for hubby (who cooks). One low carb diabetic, two vegans, 2 men who stuff themselves with everything carby and another lady who eats anything. It all worked out in the end, but we never told the 2 vegans the sprouts were roasted in duck fat. They weren't intended for them but they helped themselves before anyone noticed. That meant there were less for the rest of us. As for alcohol, red wine, prosecco, beer and honey rum.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what they don't know probably won't hurt them - I had a vegetarian tuck into something cooked in goose fat too - but as it had already happened before I noticed - just like you , I figured why upset someone by letting them know they just did something they would disapprove of .. not a lot of point as it cannot be undone except terribly messily 1

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

My husband likes carbs so when I cook I have slightly more meat if fish and veggies and he gas the biggest portion if potatoes. For breakfast we either both have eggs or he has his cereal and I have Greek yoghurt and berries. I make lasagna with sliced courgette because he doesn't like pasta and I tend to avoid it. For Sunday roast it's meat, potatoes and veg although I tend to have more veg and less potato ( usually 2 small pieces) than hubby!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My significant other is a carb muncher. He is very active, runs, cycles or walks everywhere. Is slim and doesn't have diabetes.
He has porridge for breakfast, while I have yogurt if I bother at all. Lunches are taken separately, his usually is toast with sardines, or cheese and oatcakes. Mine will be homemade soup, or cheese and olives, or egg and salad. Evening meals we eat together. Same foodstuffs. He has the carb elements, I don't, I just have extra veg with the meat or fish. I no longer have alcohol. He enjoys a beer or two a few times a week. He nibbles carby snacks if he feels hungry between meals. I would have a few almonds. He drinks tea, which I hate. I have coffee, which he will tolerate. We get on quite well.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs DeeJay has suffered and survived my cooking for over 25 years so I don't think a T2 diet will hurt her. She eats more fat these days of course as well as her own carbs but doesn't put on weight. She does take statins however (I don't). She has her own cereals for breakfast and takes her own pack lunch to her studio, and I get the evening meal with the veg in a steamer partitioned off for her spud, carrot, peas etc while I have fewer carbs, eg celeriac, green beans, broccoli and leeks. All my low-carb casserole and roast recipes are basically good for anyone, I think.
Tomorrow is roast duck so to go with the leftovers I'll be looking for something that tastes like like a hoisin sauce. Any ideas, anyone?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been no potatoes, rice or pasta in the house since I was diagnosed. There is bread occasionally as my wife likes Soda Bread, but not much.

We are all far healthier because of this.

None of this was decided by me, my wife does most of the cooking, I wouldn't want to dictate to anyone what they should eat, but nobody seems to mind and nowadays it seems quite normal to eat this way.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dh is slim and very active. He eats carbs. As do our two teenage sons, one of whom does nothing but eat when he's home - toast, cereal, biscuits. He is really sporty and just burns it off. So they all have car-based dinners and I don't. Sometimes that means having something completely different and sometimes it's just having the same without carbs.

So, they might have jacket potatoes with tuna mayo and salad, I'll just have the tuna and salad. I might do spaghetti bologbese for them, but will take the bolognese mix and use it to stuff two large flat mushrooms for me.

We all have packed lunches during the week, they have sandwiches and I usually have salad.

It's hard sometimes not to be tempted to eat the same as them, especially when my son cooks crumpets which I adore, but so far I've managed to avoid temptation.

Reactions: egontoast
D

Deleted member 388305

I am fortunate in that my spouse believes the LCHF diet is good for her as well, so she and I eat the same foods. God apparently does have a sense of humor as she is a prize-winning baker, who no longer bakes.

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
EBoth husband and son eat the same Lchf meals as me with a few carbs thrown in, so today we garlic chicken ( diet doctor recipe) with green salad, they will also have a jacket potato. Sunday roasts are never an issue, meat of choice lots of fresh veggies ( cauliflower mash is lovely), roast potatoes for the men in my life.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fortunate in that my spouse believes the LCHF diet is good for her as well, so she and I eat the same foods. God apparently does have a sense of humor as she is a prize-winning baker, who no longer bakes.

That's a shame, but if you search round these forums you will see there are dozens of recipes and ideas for bakers to make low carb cakes, bread, biscuits and so on. Maybe she could Google some if she wants to give them a try.

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
See I still take potato's and rice I just make sure it fits into my 100 carb per day limit so

4 small roast spuds 17g
1 Yorkshire
1 veg meledy
Lots of chicken

Its about 60-70 carbs meaning I cone in under my daily total

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
See I still take potato's and rice I just make sure it fits into my 100 carb per day limit so

4 small roast spuds 17g
1 Yorkshire
1 veg meledy
Lots of chicken

Its about 60-70 carbs meaning I cone in under my daily total

I find that I cannot eat more than about 20g carbs at one sitting. More than that and it overloads my system. I suggest you test your chosen meal and see what happens. It is likely you will have to reduce the number of potatoes, or the Yorkshire, or both.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
In my house its me thats diabetic and needs a low carb diet so, as its me that does most of the cooking, we both eat a low carb diet but Mr C buys himself non low carb extras like fruit and cereal bars which he keeps in a kitchen cupboard I don't go in to and he normally takes to work to eat. Very occasionally he might ask for something like a baked sweet potato which will get served up along with his low carb meal. On the whole, though, he's very happy with low carbing and doesn't feel like he misses out on anything.

When we have people over we always have low carb because I hate explaining why I'm not going to eat my own cooking. We had a fairly big buffet party at Christmas which was entirely low carb and not one person noticed. I even made a low carb Christmas cake, chocolate truffle tart and individual different (alcohol) flavoured truffles.

After the first few weeks it really wasn't an issue except for giving away loads of stuff from various freezers and cupboards that we knew we'd never eat again.

Reactions: Ultramum