T2D friendly soothing drink for a sore throat?

Sminkypinky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am newly diagnosed T2D on Metformin and I've got a stinking cold! So I'd normally reach for a nice hot mug of Ribena with a teaspoon of honey to soothe my throat. Have you got any diabetic friendly suggestions to replace all that sugar?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a sore throat last week and asked the same question, sugar free Strepsils was the solution suggested. They are strawberry flavour and were good. If you still want a drink could you have sugar free Ribena with some sugar free sweetener or syrup?

Reactions: Sminkypinky_

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed T2D on Metformin and I've got a stinking cold! So I'd normally reach for a nice hot mug of Ribena with a teaspoon of honey to soothe my throat. Have you got any diabetic friendly suggestions to replace all that sugar?

Call me radical, but based on some comments in various places, I picked up a bottle of this yesterday in ASDA: https://groceries.asda.com/product/...bena-no-added-sugar-winter-spice/910002079150

I made it up with boiling water to make a hot drink. Some folks suggested it tasted like Gluhwein, but that'd be a bit of a step too far for my taste buds. I also found it quite sweet, but I don't have a sweet tooth at all. In fact, I added a bit of Jif-style lemon juice it it to temper the sweetness.

It made for a bit of a change, and of course, it isn't heavy carb/sugar. I'm not likely to be drinking gallons of the stuff.

Reactions: Books1

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hot jelly* every time, @Sminkypinky_ !

Sachet of Hartley's no added sugar strawberry jelly crystals - one tsp in a small mug, make into a hot drink with boiling water and stirring it. Add a bit of cold water to make it drinkable. One sachet makes three or so drinks. A twin pack of sachets is between 75p and £1.

My American sister-in-law put me on to this one. GENIUS.

The gelatine is really really sooooooooothing. I was so dubious. But it really does work.

*Not suitable for vegetarians!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Call me radical, but based on some comments in various places, I picked up a bottle of this yesterday in ASDA: https://groceries.asda.com/product/...bena-no-added-sugar-winter-spice/910002079150

I made it up with boiling water to make a hot drink. Some folks suggested it tasted like Gluhwein, but that'd be a bit of a step too far for my taste buds. I also found it quite sweet, but I don't have a sweet tooth at all. In fact, I added a bit of Jif-style lemon juice it it to temper the sweetness.

It made for a bit of a change, and of course, it isn't heavy carb/sugar. I'm not likely to be drinking gallons of the stuff.
Oooo I like the sound of this, sore throat or not!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hot jelly* every time, @Sminkypinky_ !

Sachet of Hartley's no added sugar strawberry jelly crystals - one tsp in a small mug, make into a hot drink with boiling water and stirring it. Add a bit of cold water to make it drinkable. One sachet makes three or so drinks. A twin pack of sachets is between 75p and £1.

My American sister-in-law put me on to this one. GENIUS.

The gelatine is really really sooooooooothing. I was so dubious. But it really does work.

*Not suitable for vegetarians!
I couldn’t find SF jelly to make yourself last week when you suggested this to me :grumpy: Only have ready made in my Tesco.

Sminkypinky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OMG what a brilliant idea. And I'm sure I've got some in the cupboard at home. Thank you.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I couldn’t find SF jelly to make yourself last week when you suggested this to me :grumpy: Only have ready made in my Tesco.
Oh bother! If you have access to a microwave or indeed just a container or hot water, you could melt it, perhaps. Haven't tried it myself though - but theoretically it should work.....

Boooooooooo to your branch of Tesco though - they need to pull their jelly socks up!

:)

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh bother! If you have access to a microwave or indeed just a container or hot water, you could melt it, perhaps. Haven't tried it myself though - but theoretically it should work.....

Boooooooooo to your branch of Tesco though - they need to pull their jelly socks up!

:)
I know naughty Tesco, I’ve assembled things to make low carb individual trifles for me at Christmas. Low carb basic cake mix, low sugar custard, double cream and strawberries, I had decided I’d just have to put chopped up ready made jelly in the bottom. I may try melting it now!

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. Asda is a bit out of my way but I do need to go as they are the only supermarket that sell sugar free Crusha banana milkshake syrup round here. I see Asda do strawberry SF jelly too, that’ll be my choice :hungry:

The orange and strawberries are too sweet for me, but I prefer something on the tart side, to be honest. At 33p a sachet, they're modestly enough priced to try a few. The regularly seem to have them on a 4 for 3, or such like.