Takeaway

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Nice pub meal at the weekend with the family, battered fish, chips, mushy peas, a very nice apple and blackcurrant crumble with custard, a pint of beer, no issues I'm pleased to say, and definitely better than staying in and cooking on your own.

Each to your own I guess.

I hope you don't mind me asking but how many carbs would you estimate for that?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hope you don't mind me asking but how many carbs would you estimate for that?

I'm guessing here, but I would say around
1500 calories in the main meal, maybe 200g of carbs
600 calories in the pudding, maybe 150g of carbs.
200 calories for the pint of beer, 20 g of carbs maybe

2300 calories, 370g of carbs?

I don't count carbs, only calories, so based on the portion size I reckon the calories are close, but I could be out a bit on the carbs, I had to google a few examples for portion sizes, so maybe a bit less?
I don't normally eat that much, puddings are rare, but I had been out working all morning in the cold, and felt I could afford the luxury.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't count carbs, only calories, so based on the portion size I reckon the calories are close, but I could be out a bit on the carbs, I had to google a few examples for portion sizes, so maybe a bit less?
I don't normally eat that much, puddings are rare, but I had been out working all morning in the cold, and felt I could afford the luxury.
lucky you, I'm envious

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.

Yum yum. I love a crumble too. Are you Type 1? Maybe this is a daft question, but how do you know how much to inject if you don't carb count?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yum yum. I love a crumble too. Are you Type 1? Maybe this is a daft question, but how do you know how much to inject if you don't carb count?

Type 2.
Well, reversed type 2 at the moment.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, last night after 3 months of strict LCHF, I decided to experiment by having fish shop cod, chips, curry sauce and a slice of wholemeal bread.

I learned that whilst it didn't take my post prandial above 7.8, I really did not enjoy it, it completely messed up my nice calm stomach and I spent the morning on the crapper, with a higher fasting level than I'd like and raised levels all day.

To think that a few months ago this was one of my go to meals that I really enjoyed.

Not worth the payback, I won't be experimenting again!

Pork, cauli, broccoli and Lidl roll tonight, I can't wait.

This is so true for me too. I thought at first it was just a mental thing, as I have got into the low carb mindset, but it really is physical.. the last time I had a small fish and chip takeaway I didn't really enjoy it and felt really yuk afterwards.
Same with milk chocolate. I used to love it but now it tastes so sickly sweet I can easily ignore it when offered.

igual88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians, oysters , anything with more than 4 legs
My guilty takeaway sin is a chicken and lamb shish kebab minus the pitta extra salad and extra pickled chillies with homemade aoli.
Nom nom nom .

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did exactly the same a few days ago. My husband asked me to get him fish and chips and I went when I was hungry, I had battered cod and chips, and then spent the next 2 days suffering from a dodgy tummy and high levels. It definitely tasted amazing when I ate it but I pretty quickly began to feel ill, and seeing the numbers skyrocket was horrible. Takeaway is definitely not worth the guilt at seeing those numbers rise.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I enjoy battered cod once a week (no chips) with fresh veggies. It's my naughty treat. :)

I'm trying to do this now. Ev Sat night we have M&S beer battered cod or haddock with mushy veg. With the mushy veg I can manage it.its an absolute treat for me...

Last edited: