Taking Metformin & being good. Does it make you feel better?

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My problem is this:

I am 56 years old and do five strong one hour swims a week buring 900 calories a session;

I already eat pretty well (but there is room for improvement;

I do not drink alchohol; and

I do not smoke, however,

it was the problem with my painful hands (after being diagnosed incorrectly with dermatitis, then incorrectly with with arthritis, and then incorrectly with carpal tunnel that led to diabetes tests and diagnosis.

In all of these circumstances, if I take my Metformin, maintain my exercise, lose some weight and go low-carb, can I expect to feel better? My main concern is my hands.

How did others feel after treatment?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Re: Taking Metformin & being good. Does it make you feel bet

Hi Sterling

It may be that the issue with your hands is diabetic neuropathy. Info on the condition can be found here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-comp ... pathy.html As with most diabetic related complications, looking after your weight, blood glucose and blood pressure are very important. If the pain remains an issue, there are drugs that can help along with exercises aimed at the hands.

Hope this helps

Doug

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you, Doug. I appreciate your response.

I think that "neuropathy is the likely diagnosis. Although, diabetes has been clearly diagnosed as yet I have no answer concerning my hands. I am very sure that I can manage the diabetes because I have lots of resolve, but my hands worry me far more.

Kind regards, Sterling.

Osidge said:
Hi Sterling

It may be that the issue with your hands is diabetic neuropathy. Info on the condition can be found here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-comp ... pathy.html As with most diabetic related complications, looking after your weight, blood glucose and blood pressure are very important. If the pain remains an issue, there are drugs that can help along with exercises aimed at the hands.

Hope this helps

Doug

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.

Hi Sterling,

i used to have aches and pains all over, back, hands, hips, knees and was diagnosed T2 in July of last year. Since then i have lost 2 stone, bloods getting pretty good and on a low carb diet. In the last couple of months all, i say all my aches and pains have gone. My hands were particularly bad, especially in the morning and i almost had to bump start them. A hot bath helped but the pain was back again quite soon. Now they are fine, even working outside this weather. I put this down to getting my diabetes under quite good control, i will be 56 this coming October. It may take a little time before or if you feel any benefit, i am well pleased as both the pain in my hands and hip was becoming almost intolerable. I am just using diet alone to control my diabetes.

Andy
:D