Taking tritace for non existant nephropathy prevention?

athlon64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello! This is my first post here. I have a question.

I am now 22 years old and i have been a type 1 diabetic for 10 years. During all these years my HBA1C never exceeded 6.1%. I do tests every 3 months and it's usually between 5.9 and 6.1.
I think 6.2% was my highest reading during all these years.
Yes i do have some spikes like we all do but my doctor allways told me i'm one of his best controlled patients.

I have however had only one other potentialy diabetes related complication so far. About 5-6 years ago i had positive microalbuminuria readings. Peaking at around 200mg of protein in my 24/7 urine.

That problem was solved over a period of about 3 years and now for over 2 years my 24/7 urine readings have been perfectly normal. The first time we discovered microalbuminuria i started taking 2.5mg of tritace a day. Later reducing that to 1.25mg.
So for over 2 years my protein readings have been perfectly normal (the last one was 13mg i think). But i am still taking tritace.

Now so far i realise you probably see no problem in this text because my doctor thinks i should keep taking tritace just for prevention purposes because he thinks my microalbuminuria is diabetes related.

I don't. See the thing is, exactly during the period when i got microalbuminuria my hobby was extreme cyclcing.
I was a BMX driver and i used to spend day and night in the skatepark exausting myself to very extreme levels.
From morning to night whenever i could.
And i know that extreme physical stress can do kidney damage.
During the years other hobbies and obligations came along so i stopped driving bmx. And toghether with that during a period of a few years my microalbuminuria levels started to normalise untill they came back to perfectly normal levels.

So my opinion is that the microalbuminuria problem wasn't that related to diabetes. Especially considering how good my glucose levels used to be and still are.

But my doctor is skeptical about this and wants me to keep taking tritace.
I'm not saying that i'm right or that he is right. I just want a second opinion.

I was thinking about stopping my 1.25mg daily dose of tritace and then testing my 24/7 urine in two months to see the results.
Does anyone here have an advice on this subject?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does anyone here have an advice on this subject?

You could also discuss this with your diabetes consultant before deciding to stop the drug, but Ramipril is given to help treat and prevent kidney disease in people with diabetes and is said to be effective in doing so.

The dose your taking at 1.25mg is extremely low and I wouldn't be too concerned about it.........but that's just my opinion, I take a 5mg dose and have done for 12 years or more (after developing diabetic retinopathy) and suffer no side-effects, as far as I'm aware it's quite a safe drug (if there's such a thing).

athlon64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's what i was thinking. I don't consider any drug to be safe. That's the reason i would try avoiding this if it's not needed.
I also think the dose is so small that it's effects are negligable.

How did you develop retinopathy? How long have you had diabetes and how was yours controll?

Thanks.