Tassimo Coffee Pod Machine Warning

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just treated myself to a tassimo coffee pod machine so I could make easy, hassle free latte and cappucinos at home. Have shelled out on the machine, I then discovered that ALL the milk pods have sugar added to them, and even the reduced sugar versions have 4.8g sugar in a 275ml coffee! When I contacted them via the customer service email the only response I got was yes at the moment all the milk pods have sugar added. Fat lot of help that is!!!! So if you're the only coffee drinker in your house and are considering investing in one don't.

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one of these a whikle ago and the milk was pretty horrible - maybe that's why.
I used cafe crema or expresso with normal hot milk.

I notice they do a costa coffee now.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I know it's not quite the same, but the coffees do still taste alright if you just brew the coffee without the milk and just add your own in later. I've only ever really used one domestic coffee machine though and that allowed you to do the coffee and the milk separately. Not sure if it's the case with all of them though :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
4.8g of carbs for a 275ml coffee isn't that bad if you just have one a day, not a latte or cappuccino drinker but I'd imagine they'd be sickly if you had too many anyways.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Did you go back for a full refund?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I have a tassimmo and love the espresso and americano so don't be put off if you like nice strong coffee. As others say you can add some milk afterwards if you prefer. Haven't looked at the ones with milk but as there's added sugar I would stay clear of them as I don't take sugar in tea or coffee. Have a costa card and just bought a replacement tassimmo through their e-mail offer for £30 as mine is on the way out after being used daily for over 5 years. It's going to my young nephew though so it's got a few coffees to go yet :thumbup:

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Nespresso machine is tops

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use one of the stove top espresso makers where the two halves screw together. According to my colleague from Milan, that's what all the Italians use anyway.

Makes a great cup of coffee.

VickiT11979

Is 4.8 the total carb content of a 275ml latte/cappucino? If so, that's actually really low!
Check out the nutritional info on the Costa Coffee website for cappuccinos & lattes - 10.8g carb of which 10.3 is sugar for a small cappucino, 11.6g of which sugar is 11.2g in a small latte. It's not added sugar, it's the natural lactose in the milk. I guess they add it separately to dried milk to make it taste normal, but a Tassimo cappucino is a lot lower carb than one from a coffee shop.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mrs Bear is italian and would have a fit if I bought one of those coffee machines, its the same as drinking instant coffee as far as she's concerned. We also use the italian stove top coffee pots. in fact we have three in different sizes and we have been using these same three daily for the last 30 years! Best coffee you can get and we know exactly what goes into the coffee as we grind our own bean too so works out a lot cheaper as well. Try putting some cardamon pods in the grinder with the coffee beans, gives it a lovely subtle aromatic taste.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I love my tassimo. I cup of latte a day with hazelnut or vanilla taste, won't kill me. Everything in moderation. Life isnt living if you cant live it. We're born to die, so what the heck if I enjoy and want a costa coffee at home once a day.. **** sit cheaper than the cafe's. I love them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thommothebear said:
Mrs Bear is italian and would have a fit if I bought one of those coffee machines, its the same as drinking instant coffee as far as she's concerned. We also use the italian stove top coffee pots. in fact we have three in different sizes and we have been using these same three daily for the last 30 years! Best coffee you can get and we know exactly what goes into the coffee as we grind our own bean too so works out a lot cheaper as well. Try putting some cardamon pods in the grinder with the coffee beans, gives it a lovely subtle aromatic taste.

The Arabs do that too, always tasted slightly odd to me. I do like my Lavzza though

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thommothebear said:

The Arabs do that too, always tasted slightly odd to me. I do like my Lavzza though