Tea - has Diabetes changed your tea habits ?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe because I have upped the fat content of my diet, even organic full fat homogenized milk started tasting thin compared to cream. But since I couldn't contemplate cream or butter in tea, I quit having milk. For the first time in my adult life, I can breathe easily through my nose.

I had been drinking tea before but I'm really getting into this tea lark. Without the milk, some teas don't taste that good and others are amazing.

Tick Tock organic rooibos tea bags
Brooke Bond Taj Mahal tea (loose tea) (needs milk)
Twinings organic Fairtrade English Breakfast
tea bags (needs lemon)
Yogi organic Stomach Ease tea bags (delicately delicious)
Clipper organic Earl Grey tea bags (my new go to tea, with or without lemon)
Sainsbury's organic Everyday tea bags (needs milk)
Marks and Spencer organic green tea with lemon teabags
Twinings organic camomile tea bags
Clipper organic fennel tea bags
Pukka cinnamon and licorice organic tea bags (delicious my favourite)
Marks and Spencer organic green tea with jasmine tea bags
(delicious)
Clipper organic white tea bags (not keen)
Traditional Medicines organic Throat Coat tea (delicious)

So before I get totally totally into non-fruit organic tea is it good for diabetes and does anyone have any suggestions ?

How do you drink tea and does it affect your BG ?

Cheers m'dears !

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No, it hasn't!

I've been drinking tea mainly Yorkshire, but also green the same way for yonks!

Black, strong, no milk, no sugar! And tea does taste better that way!

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The answer to your question is NO, I love tea :hungry: :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The White and Oolong teas have always been best without milk. They also have a beautifully fresh and delicate flavour. I thoroughly recommend them!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I like to taste my tea, not too weak/strong no milk no sugar, diabetese made no difference to my tea addiction

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No same as before, strong (Yorkshire Tea) with a splash of semi-skimmed milk (Although I switched to Decaff a few years ago).

Also started to drink Green Tea in recent years which probably wasn't around in this country pre-diagnosis, always buy the brand Double Dragon from Holland & Barrett.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same experience of breathing through my nose when i gave up milk.
But i can still have cream and butter and cheese. So i assume that while many are intolerant of lactose, i must be intolerant of whey, which is present in milk, and removed from cheese, cream and milk.

I find that black tea stains my teeth, and i dislike that oily skim on the top.
So i make strongish tea and dribble in a tiny amount of cream.

Disliked it to start with, but have grown to love it, and will never drink tea with milk any more.

Also drink several herb teas.

I always drink decaff tea, or i will be awake half the night.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting that several people on the thread drink tea without milk.

Am putting oolong and Double Dragon on my shopping list thanks !

Black tea, is that the everyday sort ? I found it not very drinkable without milk. The English Breakfast tea tastes like.. leaves. Is that a black tea ? Maybe I should visit Whittards.

I seem to be OK with butter, cheese and cream too, but when I've drunk milk I can feel it in my throat and my nose gets bunged up. It also now makes my stomach really rumble loud enough that husband laughed at me.

The newest tea on my menu is Traditional Medicines organic Throat Coat tea and that really soothes my throat, whereas Earl Grey gives me a tickle in the back of it. The bergamot maybe??

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couldn't find Double Dragon in Holland and Barrett today, but the Heath and Heather organic green teas were on Buy One Get One Half Price, so got green with cucumber and green with coconut.

Couldn't find organic oolong anywhere, but got an organic oolong with mulberry leaves and acai from an independent health food
store.

Marks and Spencer is doing 3 for 2 on some teas, so I picked up organic green, organic green with lemon and organic green with jasmine for £2 the lot !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Celeriac, the Heath & Heather Green Tea is really nice and we use to buy their Green Tea & Lemongrass, not tried the Cucumber & Coconut varieties before.

The Double Dragon brand often sells out when the Buy One Get One Half Price offer is on as its quite popular (although a little pricey when full price), here's a picture of the tea so you know what your looking for next time:

Double_dragon_green_tea.jpg

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
noblehead ahh that explains why I couldn't find it ! Thank you for taking the time to post a photo, that's so kind of you ! xx

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid nothing, not even diabetes, will halt my Yorkshire Tea addiction - with 1 sugar (down from 2) and a splash of semi skimmed. Giving it up would be a step too far for me......

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like my tea strong no sweetener with a dash of semi skimmed or lactose free milk, Not keen on herbal or green tea

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to taste my tea, not too weak/strong no milk no sugar, diabetese made no difference to my tea addiction
Ditto and likewise - I'm just as addicted to tea now as I ever was - always unsweetened without milk. Prefer plain old black Ceylon, but occasionally try other varieties and herbals. I keep trying to like green tea, but it just doesn't taste as good to me.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't taken sugar in my tea for the last 20 years. I made a decision (for some reason) to cut it out - it tasted odd to start with but I got used to it. I like it with semi skimmed milk and fairly strong.

But, after reading this I'm thinking I may try a few different teas without the milk and maybe with lemon.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm feeling very alone here! I hate tea without sugar, and can't bear it with sweeteners either, so since I became diabetic I have stopped drinking tea altogether. Funnily enough, I am happy to drink unsweetened coffee, so that's what I have all the time.