Test Results

philip123

I've just been told that my blood sugar level is above normal, but the receptionist couldn't give me the exact numbers - I'm speaking to my GP on Monday. I've just bought a test kit (Sinocare Safe AQ Voice Glucometer) and its given me readings of between 17-22mmol. Can it really be that high? I feel fine except I'm now panicking, so much I had to ring NHS 111, and now I can't stop crying because I'm so frightened. Can anyone reassure me?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dry those tears. Make yourself a cuppa, read around the forum particularly lowcarb high fat diets. Ask lots of questions. You are about to be overwhelmed with information. You don't need to learn it all at once. Most of us control our numbers with diet, cutting out the carbs. Drop the rice, pasta, potatoes.

You have found the best place for information and support.

And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: lcarter

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been told that my blood sugar level is above normal, but the receptionist couldn't give me the exact numbers - I'm speaking to my GP on Monday. I've just bought a test kit (Sinocare Safe AQ Voice Glucometer) and its given me readings of between 17-22mmol. Can it really be that high? I feel fine except I'm now panicking, so much I had to ring NHS 111, and now I can't stop crying because I'm so frightened. Can anyone reassure me?
Yes, they can be that high, and you can calm down: you're going to be okay, you're in the right place for help. Have a read here: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html so you know what you're looking at and you know that, even if you're too panicked to take away anything else from that text: there IS hope and you WILL get this licked. Okay? Best thing you could've done was getting a meter, good instincts right there.

Those used to be my numbers after a regular lunch, 17-22... I'm still alive and kicking, with numbers usually between 4.5 and 6, no medication whatsoever. I did it. Many others here gained the same level of control or even better. So, no reason you can't. Breathe, read, and if you have questions, throw them out there. There's usually someone around with answers.
*HUGS*

Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with JoKalsbeek- it is going to be okay. You have found this site which is the best place to find information and support for diabetics

First- it is totally normally to be upset and frightened- totally but it will get better.

Second- you've already done the most important thing- you've got a meter and started testing.

Third- again I completely agree with JoKalsbeek the next step is to change what you eat by reducing your carbs. I know that it feels like a lot to get your head around but you will get there. I find the easiest thing to do is to start any meal with a base that is either no carbs or close to no carbs- that includes meat, fish a lot of cheeses, eggs--so quite a few things

Welcome and know that you are not alone.. There are many on this site with a lot of knowledge and experience who are willing to provide advice, guidance and support. Keep posting and asking questions- it is the quickest way to learn. Read around on this site.

Welcome!

mouseee

I found this forum at pretty much the exact point you are at. I thought I might be diabetic Friday, contacted drs, found this forum. My appt for a blood test was the Monday. It feels like a long time.

I used that time to search low carb and how I could bring my bs down. I felt like that was something I could do rather than just wait.

You will have a couple of blood tests for more info and you might find you don't get many answers to the millions of questions you have. But here - this is the place to ask questions and find answers and support.

As you are worried about your blood sugar at this moment, eat carefully this weekend. Avoid sugary things but also things which you know are carby. You'll soon have a good understanding of what you can eat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At diagnosis I had a random blood glucose of 17.1 mmol/l - so yes, levels can be that high, but if you are type two, and lucky, they are due to the sugar and starch in your last few meals, and a few meals low in carbohydrate will cause a significant change - and you will most likely be able to see the difference in only a few days.