Testing before driving

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just seen a comment on the Facebook post from Diabetes Uk about drving licenses. Someone said if you have an accident, the first thing the police will do is check your meteŕ and test your blood. Is this right?

So that means I should be carrying a meter in my car/handbag even if I am doing a short journey then?

I am newly diagnosed type 2 or 1.5 on Levemir injected night and morning. My sugars are still high. Say I am doing a 10 minute journey to the shop, taking 30 mins and my sugar is 13 before I set off. Do I have to take the meter and retest within that short period of time before the return journey even though a hypo is almost impossible?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The DVLA says you must test before driving then again 2 hourly, I tend to take my meter with me when out in the car just in case of an accident.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes, take meter with you. The DVLA says test before and every 2 hrs but if you feel low you may need to check after a shorter journey.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it the same for type twos then? I know it is for type ones, you have to test before you drive and carry it with you.
I didn't think all type twos even had a bg monitor =\
Or is it for people that take insulin?

Either way, I always test before driving and have my bg monitor with me at all times, even if I haven't driven.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I gather that the rules are for those who are insulin, T1or T2. It's a real bind to be honest, but better than losing your licence.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Is it the same for type twos then? I know it is for type ones, you have to test before you drive and carry it with you.
I didn't think all type twos even had a bg monitor =\
Or is it for people that take insulin?

Either way, I always test before driving and have my bg monitor with me at all times, even if I haven't driven.

Indiana x

It doesn't matter what type you are, it's how it's treated.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay then. That makes sense :)

Indiana x

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. That helps.

I should also expect my licence to be changed to a 3 year one as well I believe.

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
WWood56 - You will need to get your licence changed.

I agree with DVLA to test when you start driving and then every two hours there after.

If you feel low then test in between times to be safe.

Always keep your test kit with you along with your diabetes identification.

It is the concentration / possible stress / brain activity involved in driving that could lower your BG levels.

Always keep some quick acting food stuffs to hand and stop as soon as possible and as safely as possible in order to check.

Our licences are important to us so keep safe and avoid low BG when driving - below 5 don't drive - if it is then take some carbs to rectify the low and then test again after 45 minutes - then if over 5 then continue.

Two episodes in a twelve month period where you need Medical assistance then they take your licence from you.

I have been diagnosed T1 just over a year now and I enjoy driving so I am very careful to comply with DVLA rules.