Testing

paul022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
I have my 3 month review in a couple of weeks, when diagnosed I asked my nurse about testing at home but she said I don't need to do that yet. As she's the professional I presumed this was the norm.
Is she right or should I have been testing from the start to check whether my diet changes are working or not.
Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I test, most people on here test. How will you know how you are doing on a daily basis if you don't? Also, how will you know how different foods affect you if you don't test? Please let us know how your review goes. I will tag @daisy1 who will send you some info that all newcomers get.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that testing could be very useful for you. If you decide to start, then bring the numbers along to your review to discuss, it will help the nurse see how you are doing and make suggestions. You can also ask them about individual target ranges, which times of the day to test, and what to do about out of range numbers.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're right, your healthcare provider is wrong. :)

Here's a link to information I posted recently on the glucose monitoring kit and how to use it - (scroll to post #23)... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sugar-levels-still-high-whats-next.105271/page-2#post-1215393

To better understand how my blood glucose levels are affected by sleep, the food I'm eating, and exercise, I test in pairs: before sleep, upon awakening; pre-meal/snack, 1 or 2 hours post meal/snack; pre-exercise and post exercise. If you log what you ate with your pre and post meal/snack readings, that will provide you valuable information over time as to what foods spike your blood glucose levels.

If following a strict, low carb/ketogenic diet of 50 grams of carbs or less, it takes 1 to 4 weeks to bring blood glucose levels down to reasonable levels. How long depends on how insulin resistant you are so don't allow yourself to get too discouraged or frustrated initially. It took me a full 4 weeks.

The first week I had a number of blood glucose levels just under 300 mg/dL (16.7 mmol/L) despite eating strictly low carb. What I didn't understand is that I had insulinemia too - (which is what's driving the insulin resistance) - and that it takes time to bring down both the insulin and glucose levels.

I've been on the low carb diet for 17 months. Last A1c was 5.4% in December 2015. All other health markers are now within or just above the normal range. Fasting blood glucose this morning was 99 mg/dL (5.5 mmol/L). Post meal blood glucose is typically an increase of 20 mg/dL (1.1 mmol/L).

It took time, but after I began walking, I noticed that I could knock high blood glucose levels down if I walked 1 to 3 miles an hour and a half after a meal. This effect didn't happen initially but improved over time. Today, I can knock a high blood glucose level down by up to 80 mg/dL (4.4 mmol/L). Learning that I have that level of control is one example of how testing is helpful. As a result, if I have a high blood glucose level before bed, I'll sometimes take a brisk 15 minute walk to knock it back down.

I still test every day. Keeps me on track with my health goals. I do not take any medications or insulin, though I do understand that may change. So far blood glucose levels are continuing to improve, even 17 months later.

Wish I'd known about this forum and the low carb diet when I crossed over from pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes in 2005. Welcome. Glad you found us. We'll answer all your questions. You're among friends here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@paul022

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. As the members above say, testing is very important and helps you to know which foods are the best for you to control your levels. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 That's the best account (both the posting on this thread and the posting linked) that I have read about testing, it's importance, how to interpret the results and the explanation of why there can be a delay between adopting LCHF and BG results improving. I think the admins should consider having you 'tidy it up' into one posting, and rather like @daisy1 being tagged and posting the 'initial guide' for the newly diagnosed, that should be posted to anybody asking about whether/ when to test and what will happen when you adopt LCHF.

Excellent posting, well done!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @AtkinsMo Thanks for brightening my day. :)

I'm taking what I learn here on this forum and elsewhere to figure out what works best for me and what's most helpful for others, particularly those new to the LCHF lifestyle. I love this forum and the people here so much. It's a very well designed and moderated forum. The best. When I wander onto other diabetes forums I mostly feel frustrated and unhappy. Which is also how I felt when I joined local diabetes groups. Good people, nice people. I liked them very much. But they cannot be persuaded that the progression of diabetes can not only be stopped, it can be reversed. That's why I started a new group. It's easier to start a new than to challenge the status quo.

In the next month or so, I hope to start compiling this information and blogging it here so I can link to it when responding to posts here. I also plan to provide this information on my meetup.com site because only 1 out of 4 people who join actually attend our local education, support, and walking diabetes group, which makes me wonder why they joined. Perhaps it's because they're curious as to what I'm reading, listening to, viewing, and doing. One of these days I'll survey them. :)

Getting back to topic...

I wonder if the reason those newly diagnosed with diabetes are advised to not test initially is because they fear they'll become frustrated and discouraged by their lack of positive changes initially, or freaked out by really high or low blood glucose readings. I think perhaps conventional medicine is still trying to figure out how to work with diabetics who are committed to trying and using the LCHF diet. I can't image anyone who gives this diet a sincere month long trial ever wanting to go back to their old way of eating. The results are so potentially life changing. :)

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
I have my 3 month review in a couple of weeks, when diagnosed I asked my nurse about testing at home but she said I don't need to do that yet. As she's the professional I presumed this was the norm.
Is she right or should I have been testing from the start to check whether my diet changes are working or not.
Thanks
I tested and kept a spread sheet so when i went i laid it out before her! She was suprised and pleased actually as it showed what was ACTUALLY going on... she told me my numbers were non diabetic and the only highs were after exercise. She was then able to say that in three months she wanted me to retake my hba1c and if it was lower than 44 would not be considered diabetic and put it down to the steriods.

Testing really helps to see what suits you. We are all different. Most people can eat strawberries but i cant. Sweet potato is no good for me either so changed to swede. I can eat down to 85% chocolate without a problem... test test test take control be proactive

Reactions: 4 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 I actually think it is just uneducated, ill-informed people still believing that medical care is a 'top-down' process. They believe that they have the power and the knowledge - when actually many lay people with enquiring minds put them to shame!

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 I actually think it is just uneducated, ill-informed people still believing that medical care is a 'top-down' process. They believe that they have the power and the knowledge - when actually many lay people with enquiring minds put them to shame!

I totally agree. I was diagnosed 8 days ago with diabetes with a starting point of 8. got prescribed Metformin (not taking it) & Folic acid as my iron was down & sent on my way. I was dumbstruck, couldn't sleep, trawled the net for hours, then found this site. Wonderfull advice. I bought a meter & started testing. every day its less & less. 4,2 this morning. Then I read a post about anemia & the effect on numbers. Im anemic, & my doctor should have know about this. So with the low carb diet (I've actually taken to it) I won't find out for 3months if Im diabetic or was it just my anemia that gave false readings. I wonder what would have happened if I had started the Metformin.

paul022

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all, I've learnt more here in 1 day than in last couple of months from the 'professionals'

Reactions: 5 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in the US. Ten to fifteen years ago, a physician who supported our non-profits work engaged me in a conversation about what's wrong with healthcare "today". He made one statement that really stuck with me. When he first began practicing, there were 2 people between he and his patients, "today" - (remember, this was quite some time ago) - there are "now" 7 people between he and his patients. He was referring to the health insurance industry. I'm sure it's much worse now.

Healthcare providers focus on treatment, not prevention, and they only have 10 minutes to spend with the each patient. These are things that healthcare providers have little to no control over. Making a bad situation worse is decades of eating processed foods which I believe is contributing to many of the chronic diseases people have today.

In the US, we're moving toward revamping our healthcare system. First with alternative and complimentary medicine, naturopathy, particularly in cancer treatment and other chronic diseases, now with functional medicine which isn't new. This new approach was introduced more than 25 years ago.

This week I've been listening to Alzheimers and Dementia Summit interviews. We now have clinics in the US that are reversing Alzheimers and Dementia using testing to determine each person's unique profile of problem areas - (nutritional deficiencies, heavy metal levels, etc.) - then helping them implement lifestyle changes that include diet, exercise, and specific nutritional supplement strategies based on the results of the lab work. And the patients are regaining functioning. This is a functional medicine approach.

There is so much good work going on out there to improve and change our healthcare system and our health. And the good news...we don't have to wait for help. It's already available in the form of published studies, books and lectures relaying information based on research and clinical experience, and forums like this. :)