THANK YOU Father in Law AND Anthony Worrall Thompson!!!

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
I went for a wee stroll through the Mall as my father in law wanted to take my daughter to buy a game she wanted for her new DSi.... ANYWAY.... On the way out, he stopped at a bookstore who had a sale on and he bought a book for ME! It was a cook book by Anthony Worrall Thompson called The Essential Diabetes Cookbook, with Louise Blair BSc and in Association with Diabetes UK!

Anthony is one of my favourite TV Cheffs and I have been searching all over to get a cook book for Diabetics with recipes from a Cheff I know, one UP TO DATE and not those dreary old hints and tips and so on.....

So THANK YOU to my Father in Law for thinking of me
and THANK YOU Anthony and Diabetes UK and Louise Blair BSc
for finally creating your tasty and fun Recipes for a diabetic diet!!!

Eiche

Dislikes
Awe I'm sorry, I can't say how much it was as I didn't buy it myself. :(

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think The Works bookshops have it for about £5 at the mo.

Ali

Dippy3103

Does it have much in the way of quick meals in the book? Working long hours I need meals that are quick and simple.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I find that many of the suggested recipes by AWT are too high in carbs for me personally.
Seems to be a common theme in many so called diabetes recipe books.

Steve

Eiche

Dislikes
The high carbs are there as they are slow release and don't hike up your GL like a rocket and it makes you feel full for longer. But you can always improvise you know. The cook books are just as a guide, you can use cous cous instead of rice.... Plus you have to know yourself what you can and can not eat and as AWT says in the book, MODERATION is the key. A little doesn't do much harm as long as you keep up your meds and your exercise...

@Dippy, the meals seem to be quick enough, but if there are some things that take too long, just swap them for things that take less time or prepare things in advance to heat up for conveniance the next day. You don't have to follow the recipe to the letter, use it as a guide and pick and mix as your diet dictates and time demands :)

sollythegolly

Every time I see or hear the name 'Anthony Worrall-Thompson', it reminds me of the (rather unkind) quip made by the late Humphrey Lyttelton while hosting 'I'm sorry, I haven't a clue'.

Humphrey mentioned that during a visit to a supermarket, that he'd picked up a pack of sausages, labelled 'Anthony Worrall-Thompson Sausages'. Below the picture of Anthony, was the phrase (instruction) - 'Pr*ck with a fork'.

Sorry, couldn't resist sharing that one......

Dippy3103

Solly that made me howl with laughter!!
Poor old AWT!!!

I think I may get a copy. I am sure half the battle with staying on the wagon is to have a varied diet. Is pretty difficult to have an interesting low carb vegetarian diet, especially when you don't eat eggs!

DazG

I have this book, AWT appeared at the Porthleven food festival earlier in the year and I met him, had a chat, bought a book (£20) and had it signed, he was a nice guy.

Unfortunately, although the recipies are good, they are too high in carbs for me, and I know you can substitute items, but if you take out the pasta, cous cous and rice then there isnt a lot of the original recipe left to cook or eat.

jaykay

I agree with you Daz. When I was first diagnosed, the first 2 cook books I picked up where AWT and the Diabetic Cookbook, both endorsed by the Diabetic Society. How silly was I :( . They are nearly always based on a large carb portion. Now I just adapt normal BBC Good Food recipes - much easier for me :D

DazG

My other half bought me the diabetic cook book too, and after a quick look it went on top of the kitchen cabinet and there it has remained, it was shortly joined by AWT and they are now keeping each other company.

Neither books are suitable for me, and I now have a very basic diet, which isnt easy, but it works for now and has helped me to lose 2 stone in weight so Im happy with it.

Eiche

Dislikes
Well like I said a few posts up, Cookbooks are there as a guide only and you can adapt them to suit your needs :) I personally love Anthony's cooking and love eating foods from around the world and if it can be cooked to suit my dietary needs then it's even more awesome to have found a book by Anthony....

Also I want to mention the high carbs again... Carbs are needed for your body as fuel and to make you feel full for a longer period of time. They release sugar slowly into your system opposed to other foods... When you eat lots of carbs you have got to keep up with your exercise. Just to eat low carb and expect to function throughout the day for ME is near impossible. I am now very active and need the extra energy. Plus I have found that I get by on just 3 meals a day without feeling hungry inbetween meals. I have lost almost 4 stone in weight even with all the carbs... BUT... Every individual person is different and we all learn with time what we can and can not eat :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Eiche said:
Also I want to mention the high carbs again... Carbs are needed for your body as fuel and to make you feel full for a longer period of time. They release sugar slowly into your system opposed to other foods...

I wish it was that simple ! Not all carbs are equal and the simple carbs, such as sugar are very fast acting carbs which boost up your Bg within about 15 minutes, hence the reason you take glucose etc to treat a hypo.

The starchy based carbs are the ones that are slow acting. It is a bit misleading to say that 'carbs' release sugar slowly as this is not true of all of them.

Personally I steer clear of anything that says it is suitable for Diabetics until I can check the carb values for myself.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
>>Carbs are needed for your body as fuel and to make you feel full for a longer period of time. They release sugar slowly into your system opposed to other foods...<<
Sorry Eiche
that just isn't so!!
there is NO scientific evidence whatsoever that we need to eat any carb at all. And yes they do release sugars in to the blood, remembering that sugar itself is a carb. Protein does too to a lesser degree. Fats don't. Even so-called slow release carbs are not really slow. Digestion of starch doesn't ever take long unless in a mixed meal.
I'm delighted that you personally have done well on a carby diet. I wish I could, but I definitely can't without increasing medication, which I'm not prepared to do.
It used to be thought, and still is in some places that the brain needs glucose. It's now known not to be true. Our brains function perfectrly well on ketones and if they do need a glucose "boost", the liver easily makes enough.
There's no need for dietary carbs at all. Any thing a carby food provides otherwise can be got elsewhere.
Hana

Eiche

Dislikes
Maybe I didn't express myself in "exact detail", but I did say, and I quote myself,
Eiche said:
BUT... Every individual person is different and we all learn with time what we can and can not eat

I didn't say everyone can and should eat a high carb diet and I also didn't mean to imply all carbs are needed and good for diabetics. But I shall end the discussion here as I obviously am not getting my point across.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr said:
It used to be thought, and still is in some places that the brain needs glucose. It's now known not to be true. Our brains function perfectrly well on ketones and if they do need a glucose "boost", the liver easily makes enough.
Hana

Hana.
Whilst it is true that the Brain can function on ketones for a limited time when in 'starvation' mode, the 'preferred' fuel of the Brain IS Glucose. Check it out !

It's a bit like me running my car on heating oil (it's a diesel). It will run fairly well. However the proper fuel, diesel purchased from a garage has additives which make it run even smoother and much more efficiently. (No I don't use heating oil ! ...... :wink: )

Same with the brain......give it the correct fuel and it performs much more efficiently, memory and cognitive ability improves. It's a fact Hana.........check it out. :D

sue32

Dislikes
false people
I agree too. Carbs are OK if you have a high energy lifestyle, but if you're like me - osteoarthritic - you're out of luck. I only have to look at a slice of bread and my BM's rocket, and I function perfectly well on low GL. Have you tried the GL cookbook anyone?? There are some great meals and you can add carbs if you want to. There are loads of them at Amazon. :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm absolutely certain that MY brain prefers ketones as fuel. I operate much better on ketones.

And AWT is a plonker - his recipes are laughable.

Eiche

Dislikes
Each to their own Patch, no need to be rude. :roll: