Thank you.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my visit with my dn today. I knew that my A1c had been 26 before going in. What I didn't know was that my liver function test had returned to normal. My cholesterol ratio was also down a bit to 5.8. LDL has gone down.

I was told that I am no longer diabetic and I was given the choice either to come off the register or to stay on. I opted to stay on it as this means that I can be monitored (tested) every 6 months to ensure that my levels are still okay. I am new to all of this and feel that I need the support to keep me on the 'right path'.

It's been 3-4 months from being diagnosed and it's changed my life. What's new is that I eat a low carb diet, I walk more and I drink water instead of wine. I still don't eat breakfast and if I don't feel like eating I don't.

Now all I have to do is remember how good this way of life has made me feel and keep it up.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm so happy for you, well done on your excellent work. Such good news is lovely to hear and I agree with you about staying on the register.

Reactions: Freema

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used members of this forum to inspire me. I'd have been lost without you. I still get lost in the detail of the diets but I've try to apply what I've learned and continue to learn from your experiences.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that I am no longer diabetic and I was given the choice either to come off the register or to stay on. I opted to stay on it as this means that I can be monitored (tested) every 6 months to ensure that my levels are still okay. I am new to all of this and feel that I need the support to keep me on the 'right path'.

Exactly what I did in 2015. There were no disadvantages for me being on the register, only disadvantages in coming off it. My DN nags me each time I see her, and assures me I will still be on the At Risk register whereby I would still have annual eye screening and foot checks, and an annual review with her. However, although I take no notice of my HbA1c results, I did not want to lose the 6 month blood tests for cholesterol and all the other important markers. I did have to concede that my reviews with her would definitely be moved to annual, whatever I decided, but as all we do is have a nice friendly chat I saw no disadvantage in that. I am still getting 6 monthly blood tests and am still on the register. My next review is due in December, and I am anticipating more nagging - but of course that will depend on my HbA1c.

Very well done on all your results. You are a superstar. :):):)

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly what I did in 2015. There were no disadvantages for me being on the register, only disadvantages in coming off it. My DN nags me each time I see her, and assures me I will still be on the At Risk register whereby I would still have annual eye screening and foot checks, and an annual review with her. However, although I take no notice of my HbA1c results, I did not want to lose the 6 month blood tests for cholesterol and all the other important markers. I did have to concede that my reviews with her would definitely be moved to annual, whatever I decided, but as all we do is have a nice friendly chat I saw no disadvantage in that. I am still getting 6 monthly blood tests and am still on the register. My next review is due in December, and I am anticipating more nagging - but of course that will depend on my HbA1c.

Very well done on all your results. You are a superstar. :):):)

I remembered what you said about not coming off the register. I was surprised to be asked, wasn't expecting it. It is tempting because it's a kind of 'I'm cured' thing. BUT I'm not because if I go back to eating and drinking what I did before then it'll be back and I might not be in such a good place in my mind then.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really, really well done!!!

I must say the system in the UK sounds quite sensible, when intelligently applied on both the HCP and patient side. (I am British but had only a glancing experience with the NHS while at university in England. I have spent most of my life outside the UK.) I follow your experience with great interest as my A1C experience is parallel to yours -- we started at the same level and we both achieved a big drop, although you now have an even better level and you did it faster.

I am a little puzzled by the "diabetes register." It sounds like a great idea, but I don't quite understand how anyone can be taken off the register altogether, unless they have had a true "cure" (and the only way to achieve that seems to be bariatric surgery). They seem to be having it both ways: They maintain that it is a chronic and progressive disease, and then a few months later they tell you that you are "no longer diabetic."

Your story is inspirational.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great results @woodywhippet61! :)
You are fortunate if you are getting six monthly HbA1c tests. My GP surgery only refers me every 12 months, which they would have to do even if I weren't T2 as I am over 60 and have hyperthyroidism.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Grateful

There are 2 codes a doctor can use to remove someone off the diabetic register. One is "diabetes resolved", which I believe is for people that had a temporary visit to the diabetes world due to drugs such as steroid and no longer take that drug, or when someone has been misdiagnosed in the first place by some error at the lab or similar - this happened to one of our members this summer sometime. The other is "diabetes in remission", and doctors have differing ideas what this entails. Some believe once diabetic, always diabetic and won't remove anyone from the register no matter how well they have done HbA1c - wise. Others, like mine, have a time scale of something like 3 consecutive HbA1cs in the non-diabetic range. There isn't a code for "cured" as far as I am aware.

My surgery also has an At Risk register, which is for pre-diabetics and others at risk, and tghis is where we are moved to once we come off the main register.