The 10 rules for staying slim for life (from The Times 10/1/2015)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is in today's Times. As it's behind the subscription wall, I've copied it.

The 10 rules for staying slim for life

Zana Morris
Published at 12:01AM, January 10 2015
You’ve lost the weight, so what next? Zana Morris, author of The High Fat Diet, offers her tips

1. Ensure you have some protein with every meal. Depending on your activity level and lifestyle you need approximately 60-120g in the earlier stage of the day, and 120-180g in the latter part of the day. On top of this, add lots of vegetables (mostly green leafy ones as they contain the least sugars) and about 25-45g of fat to all of your meals. If you eat like that 80 per cent of the time you can relax the rest of the time. Many of my clients generally follow these rules for all their meals during the week and then relax at weekends.

2. Limit very starchy carbs like bread, pasta and rice to just one or two meals a week .Use them as treats, not the staple part of every meal.

3. Combining fat and carbohydrates consistently and/or excessively is the fastest way to gain weight or increase cholesterol. In other words, if you followed a high-fat weight loss plan, don’t start eating things like the full-fat cream cheese you’ve got used to with crackers or toast. On days when you are eating carbohydrates, keep the levels of fat in your diet a little lower. If you’re not eating carbohydrates it’s OK to eat more fat.

4. Don’t eat when you’re not hungry. We often fall into the habit of eating because it’s mealtime — breakfast is a classic example of this. Many people eat it because they have been told it’s the most important meal of the day for raising metabolism, but a recent study by experts at the University of Bath found no difference in the number of calories burned per hour in those who ate breakfast compared to those who didn’t. The later you eat in the evening, the less likely you are to be hungry the next morning — and vice versa. If you wake up and aren’t hungry, don’t feel obliged to eat for the sake of it, conversely though if you’re hungry, don’t skip your morning meal. Listen to your body — it will tell you when it needs to eat.

5. Restrict alcohol to two days a week. Failing this, at the very least have two days a week when you never touch it. Alcohol itself doesn’t cause insulin to rise, but it does seem to bring your body out of any fat-burning state. Insulin control is key to my style of weight loss and weight management. Insulin shuttles glucose, the sugar our body uses as energy, into the cells where it can be used as fuel. Sugar and carbohydrates produce the highest level of insulin; protein creates a smaller rise (fat doesn’t trigger any direct rise at all). If you have a diet that consists of high-fat foods and few carbohydrates, your insulin level is low and you remove your body’s normal source of fuel, so it switches to burning fat. Alcoholic drinks do contain some carbohydrates — especially beer, sweet wines, cocktails or spirits with any kind of sugary mixer. On top of this, all alcohol contains more calories per gram than even sugar (seven compared to four) and it can therefore easily create a calorie excess which gets stored as fat. Finally, alcohol also switches off the inhibition parts of the brain making it more likely you’ll overindulge. The purer the drink the better, so clear spirits like gin or vodka with soda are considered a better choice than darker or sugary drinks.

6. Stop eating when you’re full. If we even just followed this nobody would have a weight problem. Eat without distractions — no television, internet or social media. Concentrate on how you feel while you’re eating and stop when you’re full. It’s something many of us have forgotten how to do but it should become a habit no matter what is left on your plate. Wait half an hour and if you’re still hungry then eat a little more, otherwise don’t bother. If you constantly find you’re leaving food on your plate then start serving yourself smaller portions.

7. Look out for hidden sugar: it’s in so many processed foods so always check the label. Breads, salads, sauces, soups and many other savoury items can all contain sugars. A good rule for day-to-day life is to avoid all foods with more than 5g of added sugar per 100g of food. This doesn’t mean you can never have dessert, sweets, chocolate or cake, but keep them as treats not a daily eating staple. And, if you return to a point where you start craving sugar or use it to fuel your energy levels, look at your diet or lifestyle (particularly things like stress or lack of sleep). Something is affecting your energy negatively, using sugar to prop that up is going to take its toll on your waistline and potentially your health so it’s better to find the source than mask the symptom.

8. Keep up the weight training. The more muscle you have, the more you can eat each day and still keep the fat off. Aim to train following some form of high-intensity training — at least three times a week. Also, start every day by doing one minute of deep squats. Working large muscles is a very quick way to release a little bit of growth hormone into your system, get your heart and lungs working and fire your metabolism up for the day ahead.

9. Get your first meal of the day right. You don’t want to start your day spiking insulin. It’s very hard to stabilise again if you do and you will be hungry and craving something sweet within a few hours. Breakfast, or the first meal of your day, should be a small protein and fat-based one such as poached eggs with avocado, bacon and scrambled eggs with butter or natural/Greek yoghurt with nuts and some low-GI berries. A study recently published in the European Journal of Nutrition found that men eating a breakfast with most of its calories from protein stayed fuller longer and consumed 300 fewer calories throughout the rest of the day than those starting their day with a high-carbohydrate meal.

10. Watch inches as opposed to weight, this is a better way of spotting fat creeping back on. If it is, address the issue. It’s a lot easier to lose two pounds or a kilo than it is three or four. First, go back to ensure you are following rules 1 to 9 . If that’s not working you may need to try and balance your insulin again, so go back on the 10-Day High Fat Diet Blitz featured in Weekend last Saturday (thetimes.co.uk/life). It will work just as well the second time around — remember though, you need to follow it with the same diligence as you did last time.

The High Fat Diet: How to Lose 10lb in 14 Days by Zana Morris and Helen Foster is published by Vermilion, on January 15, £7.99

Reactions: 14 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep I think I would agree with that lot. If only someone had told me this 35 years ago :rolleyes:

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
10 out of 10 for this.

One of my rules is the eat without distractions.

I enjoy the food, and don't just shovel it in anymore.

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant.

And I love the 'make sure your breakfast is right' .

Took me decades to learn that for myself :banghead: And it makes such a difference!

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
This is in today's Times. As it's behind the subscription wall, I've copied it.

The 10 rules for staying slim for life

Zana Morris
Published at 12:01AM, January 10 2015
You’ve lost the weight, so what next? Zana Morris, author of The High Fat Diet, offers her tips

1. Ensure you have some protein with every meal. Depending on your activity level and lifestyle you need approximately 60-120g in the earlier stage of the day, and 120-180g in the latter part of the day. On top of this, add lots of vegetables (mostly green leafy ones as they contain the least sugars) and about 25-45g of fat to all of your meals. If you eat like that 80 per cent of the time you can relax the rest of the time. Many of my clients generally follow these rules for all their meals during the week and then relax at weekends.

2. Limit very starchy carbs like bread, pasta and rice to just one or two meals a week .Use them as treats, not the staple part of every meal.

3. Combining fat and carbohydrates consistently and/or excessively is the fastest way to gain weight or increase cholesterol. In other words, if you followed a high-fat weight loss plan, don’t start eating things like the full-fat cream cheese you’ve got used to with crackers or toast. On days when you are eating carbohydrates, keep the levels of fat in your diet a little lower. If you’re not eating carbohydrates it’s OK to eat more fat.

4. Don’t eat when you’re not hungry. We often fall into the habit of eating because it’s mealtime — breakfast is a classic example of this. Many people eat it because they have been told it’s the most important meal of the day for raising metabolism, but a recent study by experts at the University of Bath found no difference in the number of calories burned per hour in those who ate breakfast compared to those who didn’t. The later you eat in the evening, the less likely you are to be hungry the next morning — and vice versa. If you wake up and aren’t hungry, don’t feel obliged to eat for the sake of it, conversely though if you’re hungry, don’t skip your morning meal. Listen to your body — it will tell you when it needs to eat.

5. Restrict alcohol to two days a week. Failing this, at the very least have two days a week when you never touch it. Alcohol itself doesn’t cause insulin to rise, but it does seem to bring your body out of any fat-burning state. Insulin control is key to my style of weight loss and weight management. Insulin shuttles glucose, the sugar our body uses as energy, into the cells where it can be used as fuel. Sugar and carbohydrates produce the highest level of insulin; protein creates a smaller rise (fat doesn’t trigger any direct rise at all). If you have a diet that consists of high-fat foods and few carbohydrates, your insulin level is low and you remove your body’s normal source of fuel, so it switches to burning fat. Alcoholic drinks do contain some carbohydrates — especially beer, sweet wines, cocktails or spirits with any kind of sugary mixer. On top of this, all alcohol contains more calories per gram than even sugar (seven compared to four) and it can therefore easily create a calorie excess which gets stored as fat. Finally, alcohol also switches off the inhibition parts of the brain making it more likely you’ll overindulge. The purer the drink the better, so clear spirits like gin or vodka with soda are considered a better choice than darker or sugary drinks.

6. Stop eating when you’re full. If we even just followed this nobody would have a weight problem. Eat without distractions — no television, internet or social media. Concentrate on how you feel while you’re eating and stop when you’re full. It’s something many of us have forgotten how to do but it should become a habit no matter what is left on your plate. Wait half an hour and if you’re still hungry then eat a little more, otherwise don’t bother. If you constantly find you’re leaving food on your plate then start serving yourself smaller portions.

7. Look out for hidden sugar: it’s in so many processed foods so always check the label. Breads, salads, sauces, soups and many other savoury items can all contain sugars. A good rule for day-to-day life is to avoid all foods with more than 5g of added sugar per 100g of food. This doesn’t mean you can never have dessert, sweets, chocolate or cake, but keep them as treats not a daily eating staple. And, if you return to a point where you start craving sugar or use it to fuel your energy levels, look at your diet or lifestyle (particularly things like stress or lack of sleep). Something is affecting your energy negatively, using sugar to prop that up is going to take its toll on your waistline and potentially your health so it’s better to find the source than mask the symptom.

8. Keep up the weight training. The more muscle you have, the more you can eat each day and still keep the fat off. Aim to train following some form of high-intensity training — at least three times a week. Also, start every day by doing one minute of deep squats. Working large muscles is a very quick way to release a little bit of growth hormone into your system, get your heart and lungs working and fire your metabolism up for the day ahead.

9. Get your first meal of the day right. You don’t want to start your day spiking insulin. It’s very hard to stabilise again if you do and you will be hungry and craving something sweet within a few hours. Breakfast, or the first meal of your day, should be a small protein and fat-based one such as poached eggs with avocado, bacon and scrambled eggs with butter or natural/Greek yoghurt with nuts and some low-GI berries. A study recently published in the European Journal of Nutrition found that men eating a breakfast with most of its calories from protein stayed fuller longer and consumed 300 fewer calories throughout the rest of the day than those starting their day with a high-carbohydrate meal.

10. Watch inches as opposed to weight, this is a better way of spotting fat creeping back on. If it is, address the issue. It’s a lot easier to lose two pounds or a kilo than it is three or four. First, go back to ensure you are following rules 1 to 9 . If that’s not working you may need to try and balance your insulin again, so go back on the 10-Day High Fat Diet Blitz featured in Weekend last Saturday (thetimes.co.uk/life). It will work just as well the second time around — remember though, you need to follow it with the same diligence as you did last time.

The High Fat Diet: How to Lose 10lb in 14 Days by Zana Morris and Helen Foster is published by Vermilion, on January 15, £7.99
This makes a lot of sense. Are you able to share the eating plan? I like the idea of the coconut yoghurt with walnuts!

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This makes a lot of sense. Are you able to share the eating plan? I like the idea of the coconut yoghurt with walnuts!

Scandi - I copied the whole item, so I have nothing further to share. It may be in the book, but I've not read it. My interpretation of the article is suggesting she's recommending a form of LCHF without using the often alarmist HF part of it. The "warning" not to eat too many carbs and high fats together surely must ring bells with most of us. I think if we're brutally honest with ourselves, we would admit that's exactly what led to our personal upholstery getting a bit over-stuffed.

Reactions: 12 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scandi - I copied the whole item, so I have nothing further to share. It may be in the book, but I've not read it. My interpretation of the article is suggesting she's recommending a form of LCHF without using the often alarmist HF part of it. The "warning" not to eat too many carbs and high fats together surely must ring bells with most of us. I think if we're brutally honest with ourselves, we would admit that's exactly what led to our personal upholstery getting a bit over-stuffed.
Fair enough! I am always on the hunt for new recipes to try! :D
Aside from bread, I really miss fruit flavoured yoghurt but the sugar content in most, including low fat, is at least 10%. It is ironic that potatoes have very little impact but I'm not keen whereas bread is lethal. :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with most except what she says about breakfast, I think it's the most important meal of the day,if I don't eat breakfast I get a bg spike due to my liver dumping glucose.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Coconut is not nice:yuck: and in a yogurt too :eek: shock horror, I love walnuts though. I've always eaten breakfast, non diabetic and diabetic, it's a good start to the day for me, for the mind and body :)

RRB

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with most except what she says about breakfast, I think it's the most important meal of the day,if I don't eat breakfast I get a bg spike due to my liver dumping glucose.
You don't agree with her?

Listen to your body — it will tell you when it needs to eat.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. A lot of people say that. I find a cup of tea with milk is enough to stop a liver dump if I'm not hungry enough for breakfast.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You don't agree with her?

Listen to your body — it will tell you when it needs to eat.

I do just that, and it tells me to eat a good healthy breakfast every morning :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting. A lot of people say that. I find a cup of tea with milk is enough to stop a liver dump if I'm not hungry enough for breakfast.

It just goes to show how different we are all, I have to eat upon waking otherwise my bg levels will be in double figures with a couple of hours, I suspect you being a type 2 and still producing insulin it will be a different story.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hmmmm, it certainly got my attention for a minute or two.:) But seriously, it's obviously a pic of a model, how many men look like that, come on :banghead: So typical, it does annoy me, that's why I don't buy newspapers or those ladies magazines, just one look at the cover( Take a break is just one example) More like, Take a long walk, off a short pier break :arghh:
oh dear, oh, dear oh dear :(

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love a good coconut yog.

Easiyo do a milk yog with added coconut. Yum.:hungry:

Coyo do a fantabulous coconut milk yog (dairy free) with negligible carbs. :wacky:

I totally agree with the extract that a good breakfast, preferably with a good portion of protein is the best option... Oh, did I say that already? ;)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm, it certainly got my attention for a minute or two.:) But seriously, it's obviously a pic of a model, how many men look like that, come on :banghead: So typical, it does annoy me, that's why I don't buy newspapers or those ladies magazines, just one look at the cover( Take a break is just one example) More like, Take a long walk, off a short pier break :arghh:

More like, Take a long walk, off a short pier break :arghh:
Here's another derailment but true.When my twin sister and I were very young we were pestering our Dad, then he said in frustration " go and take a long walk of a short pier" So we did. we went on a walk down to the nearby esplanade ( local pier )
We were found safe and well. No harm done,and our Dad must have had to bite tongue.:):) happy days.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Good old photoshop :D

I bet a lot of these celebrities who frequent these mags on a regular basis wish they looked like their pictures in real life.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Although Mr B is 10 years older than me, and he has more chest hair (than both me and the model), his torso is really quite similar to the pic. He has never carried much weight, in the time I have known him, at least, and when we modified our eating to accommodate my T2, he trimmed up too.

Personally, pics like those in the article may not represent 100% of the population, but then when a significant proportion of the UK population are carrying excess baggage, why would it when the article is about remaining slim. For such an article, they're hardly likely to post a pic of anyone carrying weight.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mr S after 3 months of low carbing and a weight loss of 2 stone!:D:D:D