1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The all-inclusive T1ED + retinopathy thread

Discussion in 'Eating disorders and diabetes' started by asortafairytale, Jun 18, 2017.

1. asortafairytale

asortafairytale · DWED Support

Hi all,

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place for members to discuss concerns regarding retinopathy as this is a common complication of diabetes and eating disorders. This is because high glucose can impact the nerves at the back of our eyes and causes changes in the tiny blood vessels there. Anyone is still very welcome to start their own separate threads on topics of this theme but this all-inclusive one serves as a place with a little less exposure as we know it can be daunting to start new posts in a mostly empty forum.

Best wishes,
    asortafairytale.

2. asortafairytale

asortafairytale · DWED Support

Eye screening Monday. Vision blurry lately so wasn't expecting good news, Letter came Wednesday and I have 'sight threatening retinopathy', needing urgent referral to hospital for more treatment and have an appointment Wednesday. I think I am scared? I don't even quite know. Told my mum and she just had a go at me and said I've only myself to blame :(.

• Hug Hug x 2
  3. lexxfromdwed

lexxfromdwed Type 1 · DWED Support

Treatment can work wonders hon. I know people who are doing great after having all sorts done under similar circumstances and are still driving. I think at this point i'd be reeling a bit from shock, even if you half expect that kind of news, it still throws you.

Hopefully your mum will adjust and be more supportive. She's probably shocked too. Hope you are feeling ok. Wednesday will roll around quick and you'll have a better idea of what to expect once you've been to the appointment.

Big hugs xx

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod · Moderator
    Staff Member

@asortafairytale - No matter how much we "know" something, it still packs a punch when it's confirmed.

Sometimes those closest to us say the bluntest things, and sometimes those satatements reflect their shock or emotional turmoils, so maybe give your Mum time? She must be very worried for you.

As usual in these circumstance, I suggest you take a list of your questions, and a notepad for notes, because these sorts of appointments tend to affect our memories.

There may well be similar threads, from the past, in the wider forum that might help you.

Fingers crossed for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

hey lovely !! :)
    it is not a fun letter to get -- I first got that letter in 1992 and had my first laser 10 years later(2002) -- and then 10 more years(2012) till my next laser treatment-- so please please please --- try not to worry too much
    hugs [[[hugs]]]

6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

I'm rooting for you too.. Macula oedema was my "call up" two years back?
    My mum has Altziemers. I told her, she empathised, then forgot.. It's like she's hearing it for the first time on a loop.. I've given up mentioning it...

There is a lot of advancement in these eye treatments, see your consultant understand your options & ditch the worry.
    You can arm yourself with knowing what your dealing with & overcome!
    I'm going to tagg in @noblehead , he's some experience..
    If you can take a good friend with you to the apointment? Do..
    My wife attended with me! I needed a driver.
    You are not to blame.

Wishing you all the best. Please let us know how you get on.

J>

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook