shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
:cool:....now if I said fish and chips were good for ya .:hilarious:

elaine77

Hmm yes a blind person driving? Doesn't seem quite safe...

Also, that article seems to just assume that every diabetic will get every complication known to man! That's seems very unfair and very assumptive....

As far as insurance etc..goes I agree that diabetics shouldn't just be assumed to be a risk they should be individually assessed based on their own control and only if something in their control is lacking should they be subjected to inflated charges or restrictions and the reason for the restrictions should be listed with the chance to revoke any restrictions if control inproves....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Reactions: 2 people

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
trouble is insurance companies don't care ,all they will do is look at all diabetics as been high risk and load everyone of us without assessing individual cases ,yes that article is unfair but unfortunately it is law in some countries and will be so in rest of eu shortly

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't start me on about insurance there a tip off being unemployed doubled my premium then when they asked what illness I had it put the premium up by £3.75 per month

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't start me on about insurance there a tip off being unemployed doubled my premium then when they asked what illness I had it put the premium up by £3.75 per month

Don't think insurance companies can increase premiums cause of being diabetic? If you know 100% they have maybe look.into that. As long as dvla say you can drive, they can't discriminate because of illness.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
Don't think insurance companies can increase premiums cause of being diabetic? If you know 100% they have maybe look.into that. As long as dvla say you can drive, they can't discriminate because of illness.

all they have to say is theres another reason ,something silly like you been a year older ........they are unbelieveable

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
would it be worth asking duk to write to them ?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
They are not allowed to charge extra as long as DVLA permit you to drive. That's the law. I always ask for quote for non-diabetic first when I ask for quote, then hit them with the good news lol !

Reactions: 5 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou! Finally someone can see sense :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.
Probably many people follow these threads but don't post, particularly when they become antagonistic. But I'm sure many of us understand and have agreed with you all along. Your belief seems logical and responsible to me.
Jane.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Car insurers are not allowed to charge more for insurance to diabetics because there is no evidence that as a group we pose a greater risk of accident than non diabetics - if they do so they are breaking the disability discrimination laws. However, if you do not abide by the DVLA's rules about testing and levels, your insurance is null and void and you are effectively driving without insurance. They are also not allowed to refuse you insurance on grounds of your disability.

Life insurers and travel insurers are allowed to charge more (or refuse to cover you) because there is evidence that as a group diabetics die earlier (sorry) and incur more medical costs while travelling. We pose a greater risk of making a claim.

Smidge

elaine77

Well I'm calling my DSN tomorrow to find out the next steps as I'm sitting between 7mmol and 10mmol pretty much all day now and my BS is taking hours and hours and hours to come down so definitely something has changed... :-(

elaine77

Hi smidge! Well that's so much better for insulin users everywhere! I still believe it should apply to sulfonylurea users too though.

Had to have an impromptu HBA1C done last week, expecting the results on Wednesday where DSN has said "if it's above 53 we will increase Metformin".

Apparently because I'm still only rarely in double figures it's still not high enough for insulin....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5/LADA diabetes, age 27, BMI 21 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.