The Cure for Type 2 Diabetes

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
al_leister said:
Simply that………. drugs companies exist and operate to make a profit not to supply drugs that cure illness.

So we've established drugs companies are no different to any other company doing
anything else. :shock:

Great, completely and 100% agree with you :D

alaska

I certainly do agree with the concept that if you can recreate something atom for atom then it is the same thing. Of course, one needs to produce something that is at least slightly different otherwise you won't be able to patent it (I gather).

I also agree to a significant degree with Sid that without pharmaceutical companies we wouldn't have the likes of injectable insulin or metformin tablets, both of which seem to be relatively safe (when compared with the likes of thiazolidinediones -eg Avandia).

These have both kept many people alive longer than they would otherwise -particularly insulin.

alaska

So we've established drugs companies are no different to any other company doing
anything else. :shock:

And sadly, like in other industries, there is also fraud and breaking of regulations present -such as Glaxo-Smith-Klein's cover up involving the significantly increased risks of heart attacks associated with Avandia.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
alaska said:
I also agree to a significant degree with Sid that without pharmaceutical companies we wouldn't have the likes of injectable insulin or metformin tablets, both of which seem to be relatively safe (when compared with the likes of thiazolidinediones -eg Avandia).

I also agree with Sid that our lives are saved and extended thanks to the research & developments of modern medicine.

It's best not to get obsessed with what the profits pharmaceutical companies make, after all don't we shop in the likes of Tesco's who equally make vast profits even though we may disagree with some of the products they sell, another example is filling our cars up with fuel contributing to the enormous profits of BP and Shell despite their appalling environmental record.

alaska

It's best not to get obsessed with what the profits pharmaceutical companies make

Some would disagree, but I'm inclined to agree with this.

I feel life's too short for me personally to get too wound up by these things. This could be viewed as a shame, depending on one's viewpoint.

I still manage to tread the line of getting too wound up at times though :D

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
One of the side effects of Prednisolone is diabetes and I developed it after taking pred for 3 years + but without it I wouldnt be here so I'm not going to complain, I believe that diabetes is the better option, dont you?

Sid, you are bonkers :) of course, like you, I am glad you are here.

I feel life's too short for me personally to get too wound up by these things. This could be viewed as a shame, depending on one's viewpoint.

Could this really be viewed as a shame?

anything else.

Great, completely and 100% agree with you

No different at all. Just focussed on profit, like a baked bean company, barbie doll manufacturer or a company making man-size tissues. The company has petit concern for people, grand concern for profit. This may shock many. I am not shocked.
I am 100% happy.

I’m off again. I am just over one hour into French Brie with black olive crackers and a few bottles of Rioja with little under two hours to continue my concern with the cheese, the wine and my beautiful wife. :D :) :)

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Enough of cheese and politics I think. :crazy:

So following up on alaska's point about getting the thread back on track then peteratsrinagar made an intersting post to me the other day about Reversed Diabetes.

Our glorious sponsors have this to say about it.

Reversing diabetes is a term used to describe interventions that reduce dependency on type 2 diabetes medications, effectively reversing the progression of the illness.

With time and dedication, type 2 diabetes can be reversed and the results can be very rewarding with less tiredness and better all round health.

Loss of body weight can be particularly beneficial in helping to reverse the progression of diabetes.

In some cases, people may find they are able to come off medication, although blood sugar levels should be checked regularly as reversing progression of diabetes is not a cure.

Do not come off medication unless advised to by your healthcare team.

If you search the term on Google you get links to loads of web sites. Haven't looked at any yet because I suspect they just want to sell me a diet or a book or worse. Instead I thought I'd gauge opinion here first.

peteratsrinagar is a 600 calorie / day person (have no issue with that but not for me)

Do people think it is possible to reverse diabetes without being that extreme?

How long does it take?

How do you know you've suceeded?

It says reversing isn't a cure so does it just mean that at the point you've reversed you're now at a healthy weight, have say a sub 6 HbA1c and are able to keep BS levels in a kinda non diabetic range or is it a bit more technical and specific than that?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
My diabetes could be considered reversed, but I'd consider it to be in remission as I am sure that if I slip it will come bouncing right back to get me.

My Hb1Ac is 5.9 down from 8 on diagnosis and my fasting levels are below 5.5. I'm hoping my Hb1Ac will be lower when it is checked again at the end of the month.

I've done it by diet - I cut back on what I ate and stopped eating rubbish. No bread (apart from The Food Doctor pita bread with my lunch), no rice, no potatoes and no pasta. I also cut back on fat as well. I've never ever felt hungry on my diet and I eat a far more balanced diet than I have ever done. I also exercise every day. Since July 2011 (approximately 7 months) I have reduced my weight by just under 4.5 stone, bringing me down to 9 st 5 lbs.

The advice my doctor gave me was moderation in everything that you eat, get your weight below 10 stone and your levels will be back in the normal range and she was absolutely right.

Grazer

xyzzy said:
It says reversing isn't a cure so does it just mean that at the point you've reversed you're now at a healthy weight, have say a sub 6 HbA1c and are able to keep BS levels in a kinda non diabetic range or is it a bit more technical and specific than that?

I don't think it's more technical than that at all. Unless you believe it IS a cure, which some on ultras diets hope, it IS just about doing what you describe. Let's be honest, it's only an invented term anyway. My HbA1C is 5.9, has been for almost a year, my BMI is 22. I very rarely have BGs out of the 6's 2 hours after eating. I do this without meds. I'm not cured, and I don't use the terms "I've reversed my diabetes". I just control it well through diet and exercise. If I ate a couple of mars bars I'd soon prove to myself (if I needed to) that I haven't "reversed" anything; I just keep the tiger in the tank.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
That's it exactly Grazer :)

TypeIIDieter

I won't call it a cure, and it's not as effective as dieting (in the morning I have 100s from 1500 calorie diet, 120s from 2500-3000, and 130s-150s if I'm bad and start actually gaining weight), but I've noticed that one can (~400 calories) of jack mackerel drops my blood sugar by 10 points for maybe 3-18 hours after eating. Based on about 4 repetitions so far, so this might still be a flash in the pan, but without out and out fasting for days (or overshooting after a meal) I find it very hard to get down to the 90s in blood glucose (which I think I can feel in my arms just above the elbow, in the lower end of the bicep) and it's happened 4 times after eating this one particular food. This doesn't happen with any other fish I eat, and I've been eating all sorts of fish (flounder, sardines, especially). Also not noticed with any other fish I eat is that the mackerel gives my urine a noticeable fishy odor. I would hypothesize whatever the smell is is a pretty decent anti diabetes drug.