The epetition

Defren

Strips and education are one thing, but I would rather no strips if the education was the dietary advice given out now. What's the point of strips and carbs with every meal? All readings will be sky high. Strips with low carb education, or at least low carb options, and the challenge to see the difference, yes! Even if we were only given the low carb education and strips for 6 months, how many thousands would benefit from that?

Grazer

Defren said:
Strips and education are one thing, but I would rather no strips if the education was the dietary advice given out now. What's the point of strips and carbs with every meal? All readings will be sky high. Strips with low carb education, or at least low carb options, and the challenge to see the difference, yes! Even if we were only given the low carb education and strips for 6 months, how many thousands would benefit from that?

That was the real crux of the petition, which was:-
1) Strips for all
2) Education with the strips, otherwise no point
3) Limited supply after a while, to compromise and avoid costs being too high.

On the petition, you can't go into the detail you'd like about carbs etc as you have to keep it short. You also have to be a bit political, and not sound unreasonable in your demands etc. But in essence, what we're asking for is strips for a few quarters while the T2 works out their eating plan, with proper input on HOW to work out their eating plan, then just a limited supply (unless they are on drugs that can cause hypos, insulin etc) to test any new foods now and again and to ensure things aren't changing (progressing)
Comparitively minimal costs to avoid the future large ones incurred by todays typical T2 (not the ones on this forum, I do believe that we're not typical because of our knowledge from shared wisdom and our approach)

Defren

Grazer said:
Defren said:

That was the real crux of the petition, which was:-
1) Strips for all
2) Education with the strips, otherwise no point
3) Limited supply after a while, to compromise and avoid costs being too high.

On the petition, you can't go into the detail you'd like about carbs etc as you have to keep it short. You also have to be a bit political, and not sound unreasonable in your demands etc. But in essence, what we're asking for is strips for a few quarters while the T2 works out their eating plan, with proper input on HOW to work out their eating plan, then just a limited supply (unless they are on drugs that can cause hypos, insulin etc) to test any new foods now and again and to ensure things aren't changing (progressing)
Comparitively minimal costs to avoid the future large ones incurred by todays typical T2 (not the ones on this forum, I do believe that we're not typical because of our knowledge from shared wisdom and our approach)

I know Sheepy, I read and signed the petition. It just annoys me when it's assumed strips would be no use to T2 as many wouldn't take on board the education 'bit'. I am just saying, if the education meant eating carbs with each meal, I would rather not have strips. The education has to be the right one, or it's just not worth it. A carb laden diet is going to produce +15 +20mmol/L and people would accept this as 'normal and fine'.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Defren said:
how many thousands would benefit from that?

Well that's the key point isn't it. Which is why "Something must be done" http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29512&start=225 combines testing with good dietary control. Both are required. The amount of savings in terms of avoiding the costs of diabetic complications would be immense let alone the reduction in pain and anguish suffered by many diabetics. I would hope even some of the T2 testing detractors would approve as it would free up resources for the causes they consider are important.

AMBrennan said:
At the end of the day, every pound spend on diabetes care means that there's a pound less available for helping the babies with cancer.

Defren

xyzzy said:
Defren said:
how many thousands would benefit from that?

Well that's the key point isn't it. Which is why "Something must be done" http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29512&start=225 combines testing with good dietary control. Both are required. The amount of savings in terms of avoiding the costs of diabetic complications would be immense let alone the reduction in pain and anguish suffered by many diabetics. I would hope even some of the T2 testing detractors would approve as it would free up resources for the causes they consider are important.

AMBrennan said:
At the end of the day, every pound spend on diabetes care means that there's a pound less available for helping the babies with cancer.

Steve, you're preaching to the converted. It's more frustration at knowing what needs to be done, and not being able to do it. While we try to find a way to move this out of the forum and into the wider public, how many will be diagnosed with serious complications, or die? How to get this out and the education started is perhaps the next discussion?

benedict

Administrator
For those wishing to make the petition link in their signature clickable, this can now be done using the URL tags :thumbup: